Sponsored

Audio build suggestions...Focal

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Ok, I have a topic going on the sub. Just want to give a quick rundown here, and then would like input on one part of this for now.

I have the factory head unit (premium car), Focal Ps165 F3 (Flax), Focal 33KX sub, JL 900/5 amp JL FIX 82. I had all of that installed. Well it sound like total crap to me. The current setup is that the JL500 is bridged for the front Focals, and the factory amp is driving the factory rear speakers. Well I am missing a lot of bass notes here. Just all out sounds horrible to me.

Ok, moving on, I have been working with Jesse (OEMradio) who is amazing to work with. He helped me find that they pulled the signal AFTER the factor amp, and then he removed my processing from my factory radio. Great guy, tons of experience and helped me a ton.

So now I am setting up an appt to head back to the shop. They are going to move the output to before the factory amp so I should have no processing and a clean signal at that point which I can already tell will help as what Jesse did already changed it some.

As for rears just being for fill, I cannot buy into that. Call it personal preference, but I am 6'3". I am not sitting on the dash, and I feel i need more sound behind me. I have to hear something where I am sitting. Ok so here are my thoughts right now. Do I get a set of rears installed, and un-bridge the JL that is currently feeding that fronts and have it send 100 to all 4 or leave that alone (bridged to the fronts only (150 rms each)), and maybe add an amp for the rears. I am hearing that Bridging is not always a good idea too. Major confusion here.

I spoke to Jesse about this, and I still feel it can go either way so I would like more input on that specific area. The installer is not too close to me, and I do not want to keep going back and forth if possible. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Anyone? Bridged or not?

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Anyone? Bridged or not?
Bridged/unbridged shouldn't make a difference on sound quality. Bridging 2 channels let's the amp produce more power. Assuming you've got an ohm load from your speakers that the amp can handle (going too low may overheat your amp or cause other problems), your speakers will be getting more power. Depending on the speakers, more power may be beneficial, especially if they are lower efficiency with a high power handling.

IMO, throwing more speakers/amps/processors/etc into a custom aftermarket system is just going to make a mess. Also, selecting gear that doesn't match with your listening preferences is going to be quite unsatisfying. Focals aren't known for driving bass if that's what you're after. Their mids/highs are superb when installed correctly. I ran a set of Focal components back in the day, but I swapped them out because of their lack of mid-bass in my system.

You could try a set of coaxials in the rear deck to replace the factory speakers and run them off of the rear channels of your JL amp. I don't think that reducing the power to your front Focals is going to make much (if any difference).

Good luck!

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Bridged/unbridged shouldn't make a difference on sound quality. Bridging 2 channels let's the amp produce more power. Assuming you've got an ohm load from your speakers that the amp can handle (going too low may overheat your amp or cause other problems), your speakers will be getting more power. Depending on the speakers, more power may be beneficial, especially if they are lower efficiency with a high power handling.

IMO, throwing more speakers/amps/processors/etc into a custom aftermarket system is just going to make a mess. Also, selecting gear that doesn't match with your listening preferences is going to be quite unsatisfying. Focals aren't known for driving bass if that's what you're after. Their mids/highs are superb when installed correctly. I ran a set of Focal components back in the day, but I swapped them out because of their lack of mid-bass in my system.

You could try a set of coaxials in the rear deck to replace the factory speakers and run them off of the rear channels of your JL amp. I don't think that reducing the power to your front Focals is going to make much (if any difference).

Good luck!
Thanks! I think that is the direction I am headed in. I definitely agree with the lack of Mid bass, and that is the biggest problem I have right now. Maybe I can get some of that from the rears once I get those installed.

cthomp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thanks! I think that is the direction I am headed in. I definitely agree with the lack of Mid bass, and that is the biggest problem I have right now. Maybe I can get some of that from the rears once I get those installed.
You'll definitely get some mid-bass from the rears. The stock speakers are pretty lacking in the mid-bass area from what I remember.

You can also work up on using some install "tricks" on your focals up front to make them a bit more punchy. In addition to sound deadening around the woofers, you can try some xtc speaker baffles and/or deflex power pads.
Sponsored