Sponsored

PMAS Power Results Thread

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Can get within 1-2* of MBT timing for this engine on 93 octane and beyond that it won't make more torque (hp). Butt dynos aside the 10 different E-85 vs premium dynos I've seen on NA Coyotes have not impressed me at all. It makes a huge difference on boosted cars though. I tune a few different platforms but my specialty is GM LNF, LDK, LHU GDI turbo cars and on those E-85 makes a pretty big difference because we cannot get anywhere near MBT timing on 93 on those cars at higher boost levels.
If you are not near an e85 station then I can understand your thinking. Aside from that, I do not agree at all. I dynoed same mods, same dyno, same tune (Lund FF) just 93 vs e85. Three runs each, averaged 13whp and 10wtq better with e85. At $1.69 a gallon it is not more expensive to run despite losing a few mpg. The car also loses very little power from hot weather (big advantage in of itself). I have run a friends 1le with full bolt ons on 93 and been about dead even with him, then on e85 and pulled him clearly. It is very worth it. Not many mods will give you the performance boost of e85 for the money invested (about 0). Not sure why this isn't worth it to you. Yeah e85 can help make mega extra hp on boosted cars, but I don't see why 10-15 extra whp isn't worth it for an NA car. After all we are after every last hp we can get when staying NA.:cheers:
Sponsored

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Oh, and by the way. I am also seeing 29* on 93 and about 30* on e85. Despite this I am still seeing more power on e85. I wouldn't get so hung up on how much timing you can run at the peak. It doesn't prove 93 is as good. If its good enough for you, thats cool.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
If you are not near an e85 station then I can understand your thinking. Aside from that, I do not agree at all. I dynoed same mods, same dyno, same tune (Lund FF) just 93 vs e85. Three runs each, averaged 13whp and 10wtq better with e85. At $1.69 a gallon it is not more expensive to run despite losing a few mpg. The car also loses very little power from hot weather (big advantage in of itself). I have run a friends 1le with full bolt ons on 93 and been about dead even with him, then on e85 and pulled him clearly. It is very worth it. Not many mods will give you the performance boost of e85 for the money invested (about 0). Not sure why this isn't worth it to you. Yeah e85 can help make mega extra hp on boosted cars, but I don't see why 10-15 extra whp isn't worth it for an NA car. After all we are after every last hp we can get when staying NA.:cheers:
:cheers::cheers::headbang::headbang:

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Been running PMAS for the last few days in 80-90 degree humid weather and I wasn't thrilled about IAT. I have never seen temps higher than 130 to 140ish with stock intake. With PMAS temps were about 20 degrees higher. This began to bother me enough so I decided to take an action and help PMAS stay cooler. This is my 30 minute snorkel fix and some ghetto insulation from home Depot to keep things even cooler. You have to consider the fact that I did it on impulse just to see if there's a benefit to it. And you bet..... there's. I'm excited because it worked and you can actually feel difference in performance, at least I could. Nonetheless, this is a prototype sort of until I get my hands on some real stuff that I can wrap the intake with some good heat shield. There is enormous amount of heat coming from the engine, radiator and it's cooling fans. In fact, there is so much heat generated that it began to deform the resin part of intake at the clamp location, both ends. PMAS must add metal rings on inside to prevent intake ends from collapsing as that's what I've noticed and found this rather an important issue to resolve in the near future. After 30 minute run in traffic, opened the hood and I couldn't hold my hand on any part of intake for longer than 1 maybe 2 seconds. I believe that there is a great amount of heat radiating through the aluminum part that fits the maf sensor. Tremendous heat soak is present in maf area to the point where maf readings are out of whack is what I observed so far. Just check for yourself and you'll know what I'm talking about when it comes to the heat. I have few other things that I wanted to share but I'm running out of time now, I'll follow up tomorrow
DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Great work!

I have to be honest, PMAS spent so much time in engineering the tube for better flow, why did they simply not think of locating the maf lower and then putting a snorkel as you have done to direct colder air into the box and across the maf sensor to prevent heatsoak.

So great work, maybe PMAS will make a further revision to their intake now, they should give you credit. ;)

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Great work!

I have to be honest, PMAS spent so much time in engineering the tube for better flow, why did they simply not think of locating the maf lower and then putting a snorkel as you have done to direct colder air into the box and across the maf sensor to prevent heatsoak.

So great work, maybe PMAS will make a further revision to their intake now, they should give you credit. ;)
Pmas has already said a snorkel decreases flow. Having a 170 tsat helps cut down fan wash on the iat sensor. As does a grill change or diy. It also allows more cooler air from the grill mod.

*edit*
The 170 tstat helps provided you get tuned and the fan settings get changed. For a no tune intake its not going to do much for iats

Last edited:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Yep. Most that do the Pmas and other intake combos of ours do the 170 tstat

Desolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Cbr-1000rr
Did everyone miss where I simply rotated the maf down to alleviate this? Lol

Pretty good idea with the heat tape. I was thinking about that next if what I did hadn't worked.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Did everyone miss where I simply rotated the maf down to alleviate this? Lol

Pretty good idea with the heat tape. I was thinking about that next if what I did hadn't worked.
PMAS said how I had the MAF is where it's supposed to go, so that's where I'm keeping mine.

Desolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Cbr-1000rr
PMAS said how I had the MAF is where it's supposed to go, so that's where I'm keeping mine.
I asked PMAS in the other thread if there were any negatives to what I had done but no reply yet. So far two weeks and no hiccups, just trying to aid my fellow pmas users with my findings. If you choose to try it or not is up to you. :cheers:

Sponsored

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Ok first things first, [MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] I didn't intend to hijack your thread and if you feel that it's not cool for me to post, please let me know.

I've spent some time making a second prototype today after work. I haven't been able to run around in the traffic to look for quality stuff so I decided to go with the leftover insulation from yesterday and wrapped up PMAS entirely.
I'm not writing this to BS anyone, this my own testimony of what I observed so each one of you can take it for what it's worth. Like it or not, I'm OK with that though will gladly hear comments and opinions.

Impressions after wrap up:
- insulation will not lower top end IAT temps in heavy traffic but everything else has been improved
- amount of heat soak greatly reduced, it takes me almost 3 times longer to reach same Temps vs no heat shield
- I can drop 40 degrees in about 1/2 mile distance driving 40-45mph from the stop
- I can drop 5 degrees just by reving engine for 2-3 seconds while parked,
- before heat shield car felt sluggish, Now Im getting nice rush just above 4k rpm and the higher it goes the better it pulls
- I can get within +6 degrees above ambient temperature much quicker than ever before
- very pleased with the results so far

I'm not sure if my homemade snorkel has anything to do with the cool air supply but judging by the very quick IAT drop while driving looks to me that it does. I know what PMAS said about snorkel but I'm personally not worried about air flow restrictions snorkel may cause, what I'm after is cool air.

My dyno day has been moved from August 12 to August 26th due to a week long vacation trip to Orlando my wife came up with :crazy:

I will update my findings and share more results with you guys as soon as they become available

Cost: $18 at home depot but highly recommend quality heat shield wrap/tape. Definitely worth a shot
I may do some videos and if so I'll post them here.
Any questions or comments, I'm all ears

Oh... Almost forgot, anyone wants the prototype snorkel I have leftover, just pm me
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0113.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0115.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
It looks ugly but it looks like it works now if only there is a way to make it look clean lol. Good write up man

OP
OP
dev1360

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
PMAS said the snorkel decreases flow. And the gains in flow are worth more than the losses in heat.

I'm seeing between 6-10* of ambient while driving the way the intake is now. I have plans of using gold tape on the box, but I won't be doing any more than that.

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
It looks ugly but it looks like it works now if only there is a way to make it look clean lol. Good write up man
LOL, indeed looks ugly. We used to do this in our rally cars except this version doesn't include a heat resistant sleeve which makes it all tight and neat under the hood. I'm looking to have someone make me a custom sleeve to cover all that mess.

Desolate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Cbr-1000rr
PMAS said the snorkel decreases flow. And the gains in flow are worth more than the losses in heat.

I'm seeing between 6-10* of ambient while driving the way the intake is now. I have plans of using gold tape on the box, but I won't be doing any more than that.
Dev did you try turning the maf down?
Sponsored