OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
Car is currently at the dealer.... Once I get an answer from them I'll Gt this thread updated.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
No catch can installed?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hopefully we'll get some answers on where the oil is coming from in ecoboom engines :thumbsup: Sounds like the OP caught the problem in time!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I'm guessing either turbo seal or rings didn't set right.... And no CC it was going in with all the parts. But please I better not hear "that's why you install a catch can" because I guarantee 95% of people who bought Ecoboost privately and commercial won't install one and shouldn't have to on a stock car.

Last edited:

cthomas5714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT
Okay in this guys case he is having way to much oil blow by. This is an extreme case and should be dealt with by warranty because something is severely wrong. I had my car for about 15k miles before I installed my catch can and not once did my blow by ever show up on the dipstick, and that was in conjunction with the front seal leak as well.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
But please I better not hear "that's why you install a catch can" because I guarantee 95% of people who bought Ecoboost privately and commercial won't install one and shouldn't have to on a stock car.
Wasn't going there. And you're right, you shouldn't have to. I only asked because I had oil there before I installed the dual valve with the vacuum source off the intake. Up until that point I had a single plug n play. Going to pull it off soon and see if it helped.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Yea I'm guessing either turbo seal or rings didn't set right.... And no CC it was going in with all the parts. But please I better not hear "that's why you install a catch can" because I guarantee 95% of people who bought Ecoboost privately and commercial won't install one and shouldn't have to on a stock car.
Not to be accusatory or anything, but do you watch your oil temperature in the winter?

The reason I ask is that the oil temperature takes a lot longer to come up than the coolant temp.

Turbo seals are sensitive to high oil pressure. From what I've seen on my PP oil pressure gauge, the oil pressure in our engines is really high until the oil is up to temperature. Probably best not to be laying into the pedal and making lots of boost until the oil temperature (available in the gauge menu) is "normal" :thumbsup:

Hey, at least the problem is fully warrantied in your case :ford:

SYK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium PP Auto
I think the biggest problem with oil pressure is not over pressuring the seals but the lack of delivery thereof. Pressure relief is built into the engine and if the engine wants to pump thick fluid the pressure drop will be too great and would build way more pressure with little to no flow because of the relief port being open. It will create lubrication issue more so than the seal blowing up. thoughts?

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Bump-

Any updates? :cheers:

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a little update.... Talked to the dealer today and they're going to replace the entire turbo system and also PCV system. They said the PCV was updated but faulty. And since there was a good amount of oil in the turbo apparently they're just going to replace the entire system. Should have my car back by next week and get all the parts installed by mid July. UFC 200 is the weekend after I get my car back so no time to work on the car that weekend hahaha

Last edited:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
So a little updated.... Talked to the dealer today and they're going to replace the entire turbo system and also PCV system. They said the PCV was updated but faulty. And since there was a good amount of oil in the turbo apparently they're just going to replace the entire system. Should have my car back by next week and get all the parts installed by mid July. UFC 200 is the weekend after I get my car back so no time to work on the car that weekend hahaha
Hope that Ford engineers get to take a look at the failed PCV...I'm wondering if yet another PCV revision is in the works :doh:

I'm surprised that Ford authorized replacing the turbo under warranty, unless 1) it was proven by the shop techs that the turbo itself was leaking oil or 2) Ford engieers have an interest in seeing if the turbo itself is involved in the problem and want to take a look at your turbo ;)

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Don't see how the crankcase PCV or a leaking turbo seal could possibly be putting oil into the turbo inlet since the turbo seal is past the inlet and the crankcase PCV goes to the intake manifold, way past the turbo. Seems more like it might be a problem with the PCV coming from the valve cover. Try pulling off the PCV hose coming from the valve cover to the intake and see if there's a lot of oil inside it.

Last edited:

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Wasn't going there. And you're right, you shouldn't have to. I only asked because I had oil there before I installed the dual valve with the vacuum source off the intake. Up until that point I had a single plug n play. Going to pull it off soon and see if it helped.
Did you notice a difference with the dual valve catch can ? I have a brand new Boomba catch can I was about to install but I may sell it and and buy the UPR if you see a difference.
Sponsored