S550Smoke

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
I am not sure it is about "winning HPDE", its about "enjoying HPDE".

To be honest, the pedal placement in the Mustang is not at all conducive to H-T like a Porsche or earlier model Bimmer - I wear the widest sole sneakers I can to achieve H-T, and even then it require quite a contortion to get safe contact on the brake and clip the throttle, hence the inconsistency. I'd like to head into T#1 of Lightning with a little more suave cache than I have done in the past!

Is adding a wide throttle pedal cover cheating too???? :D
the pedal placement is very awkward for mastering it. I would like to be in the car with someone in our mustansg that has mastered it just to see it being done. I saw an awesome video of a nasa driver making it look super easy in an s197 but I cant find it to link to this dammit.
Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PPL2, 2017 F-150 XLT SCREW
Slightly off topic but what is wrong with "winning" HPDE? I go to HPDE events and drive in Intermediate 2 or Advanced groups and each time I do so, I try and improve on my lap times from previous events. I also Time Trial on occasion, again going out to put the best lap times I can at a given track. The reason I do not W2W race is because I enjoy running my relatively nice cars on track with a lower risk of them getting banged up. As far as Auto Blip is concerned, great product, easy to install and makes braking and downshifting much more consistent, which by the way is much safer. I can heel toe pretty well, but with Auto Blip I am just a little bit quicker. That is what Motorsports is about.

OP
OP
S550Smoke

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Slightly off topic but what is wrong with "winning" HPDE? I go to HPDE events and drive in Intermediate 2 or Advanced groups and each time I do so, I try and improve on my lap times from previous events. I also Time Trial on occasion, again going out to put the best lap times I can at a given track. The reason I do not W2W race is because I enjoy running my relatively nice cars on track with a lower risk of them getting banged up. As far as Auto Blip is concerned, great product, easy to install and makes braking and downshifting much more consistent, which by the way is much safer. I can heel toe pretty well, but with Auto Blip I am just a little bit quicker. That is what Motorsports is about.
couldn't agree more, this is where I plan to be for at least the next few years learning...then I may convert over to full race.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
[MENTION=20275]S550Smoke[/MENTION] - you do already know about the Steeda / Garageline kickass H/T setup? (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42343)

I just did this a week ago, and it makes all the difference in the world. The skill takes a bit to develop, but it's fun, and makes you feel good. :D

The stock pedal locations made me feel like like I was hyperextending my ankle for H/T, but now it's reflexive and super convenient. Right next to each other and parallel.

By same token, if auto-blip, or even paddle-shift automatic is what you want, then don't let anyone give you a hard time. This is an individual, not a team hobby...

Some of the best competitive drivers are in, or came from, karting, and there are a bunch of non-shifter classes, where they aren't shifting at all. And all of the advanced roadracing car classes run paddle/button actuated shifters that shift way faster than any human could. Someday, the manual trans will be a thing of the past, like a typewriter, and it won't matter at all if a driver has that skill set.
Heel & Toe Mods 6-22-16.JPG

OP
OP
S550Smoke

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I ordered both that setup as well as the auto blip so i could continue manual work on the technique as i see fit as well as being able to not let it hinder other aspects of my learning. I'm glad you sent a pic so i could see it done lol. Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
I installed the auto-blip on Saturday. One of the more uncomfortable installs I have done, there's not much room for a big fella in the footwell.

I am still trying to figure it out. I might have to re-calibrate the unit. It seems to give mixed strengths of blips. I think this might be due to early pedal release as you time the gear shift. When it has worked cleanly, if you get it right for 4-3, it is a bit off for 3-2. I will keep twiddling the knobs, but it certainly not transformed my drivign style in 2 days. I am sure I need some mre practice.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I've had the auto-blip for a few weeks now...I'm going to sell mine, since I don't track the car and thought it would be more useful for street use.

Pm me if interested- It's about $410 after tax

Selling mine $300 shipped.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When it has worked cleanly, if you get it right for 4-3, it is a bit off for 3-2. I will keep twiddling the knobs, but it certainly not transformed my drivign style in 2 days. I am sure I need some mre practice.
More practice and more fiddling will probably help some. But there's a pretty big ratio difference, percentagewise, between the 4-3 downshift (1.69 from 1.32 = 1.28) and the 3-2 (2.43 from 1.69 = 1.44).

I bet if you compared 5-4 (1.32 spacing) against 4-3, the problem wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Slightly off topic but what is wrong with "winning" HPDE? I go to HPDE events
Going back to this for just a moment, it's one thing to have your focus on improvement as a driver, where your improvement measured against other drivers is strictly incidental. Another thing entirely to be out there specifically to outrun everybody, just so you can say if only to yourself that you outran them all, every session.

It's a difference in outlook.

Norm

Last edited:
OP
OP
S550Smoke

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I wish i had input on this but im still deployed so i havent been able to get hands on yet. I appreciate your heads up though, hopefully ill be able to bring something to the table when i get back and work with it. I have barber motorsports park the second day im home so ill be rocking the steeda and garageline pedal setup for that event but ill start working with the blip after that and putting it to the test at sebring the following week.

More practice and more fiddling will probably help some. But there's a pretty big ratio difference, percentagewise, between the 4-3 downshift (1.69 from 1.32 = 1.28) and the 3-2 (2.43 from 1.69 = 1.44).

I bet if you compared 5-4 (1.32 spacing) against 4-3, the problem wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Going back to this for just a moment, it's one thing to have your focus on improvement as a driver, where your improvement measured against other drivers is strictly incidental. Another thing entirely to be out there specifically to outrun everybody, just so you can say if only to yourself that you outran them all, every session.

Norm
i could be mistaken but i think were all agreeing with the proper mindset of track days, seems like the verbage is just possibly being percieved wrong...at least i hope so because it is stressed pretty clear that hpde is not a race for multiple reasons. Your thoughts on the ratio sounds very likely, we will have to someone with a good hand on the device as well as our application of vehicles to see what the best setting method will be.

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
only person I can outrun on track is usually me so I guess its OK.

Sponsored

steveespo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
btw take the drivers seat out o install the auto Blip, much easier.

OP
OP
S550Smoke

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Im actually taking the easy route and getting all kinds of studf done by my shop before i get back but ill let them know. Easy to do because the seats are coming out anyway for the roll cage install so ill tell them to do it before they put them back in.

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium

Norm
I figured it is the ratios. I think this would be a much better product if it worked through OBDII and compensated for gear and engine speed - like the OEM systems on other brand cars. It would also be easier to install/remove as needed. To be honest, for the price point, it should be a little more sophisticated. I think with an ECU tune that has a more sensitive throttle setting, it would be better. At the moment, the ECU still compensates/softens the throttle response. This would change with mode setting. Also, you get a bigger blip at higher engine speeds as you are in the engines power band I think.

So I am learning that if you set it high and change the rate you release the clutch, it smoothes things out. The issue is if you drop it at the wrong point, you upset the car with the sudden change in wheel/engine speed like a normal bad gear change, which isn't good and you can compensate for with a rev-match if you are using the throttle. I think you can set it for quick changes on track days for 5-4-3 cycles...maybe even help me win! :)

I am also turning it off when I am in traffic. The involuntary blip as you sidle up to intersections and lights and shift into 1st sounds kind of aggressive.

The adventure continues!
Sponsored