Sponsored

Flowmaster 50 series dual in dual out

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
A thought occurred to me; the reason the fox body/Sn95 exhaust always sounded good regardless if what was a SBF or Mod motor was because the mufflers were mid body with long tailpipes.

The S197/S550 has a different tone (less refined in its pitch to my ear) due to its rear location of mufflers with very short tail pipes.

I wonder how an S550 5.0 would sound with one of these in place of the mid mounted resonator with tailpipes sans mufflers? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-527504/overview/

Could it replicate the classic beefy crackly tone of the fox body/sn95 flowmaster (chambered muffler) sound?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Buy me one and I'll pull the stock system out from under the porch and test it out. :D

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
While the muffler placement does change the the sound some, the biggest reason the 2011-up 5.0 sounds so different is the firing order. The signature Mustang sound of the pushrod 5.0 and 4.6's is due to their firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, the DOHC 5.0 is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
While the muffler placement does change the the sound some, the biggest reason the 2011-up 5.0 sounds so different is the firing order. The signature Mustang sound of the pushrod 5.0 and 4.6's is due to their firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, the DOHC 5.0 is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2.
this/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shawnski

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Negative. I have a 1,5 .... Firing 302 in a fox which is the same as a 289 or non HO 302. The 1,3 .... Order is the same as a 351. I have been building SBFs for over 20 years of both firing orders, and you cannot tell the difference in sound based on this.

Also a '05-'10 4.6 3v does not share the firing order with the Coyote, however you cannot tell that by listening to their rear mounted exhaust.

JoshMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2003 Mach 1, 64.5 Coupe
Negative. I have a 1,5 .... Firing 302 in a fox which is the same as a 289 or non HO 302. The 1,3 .... Order is the same as a 351. I have been building SBFs for over 20 years of both firing orders, and you cannot tell the difference in sound based on this.

Also a '05-'10 4.6 3v does not share the firing order with the Coyote, however you cannot tell that by listening to their rear mounted exhaust.
My '64 289 with Tri-Y's and H pipe sounds nothing like a 5.0 with 351W firing order. I can absolutely tell the difference in a old SBF firing order and 351W. The firing order most certainly changes the tone and sound, if it didn't all V8's would sound nearly identical.

The 05-10 3V's sound slightly different than the 96-up 4.6, but not wildly, and nothing like a Coyote. I can tell at startup the difference in a 4.6/5.4 and Coyote, no matter where the mufflers are mounted.

Look up some videos of Foxs, SN95s and New Edges with a Coyote swap. They have a mid mount muffler setup but sound signifiantly different than the 5.0 or 4.6 that was originally there.

Between the firing order and compression, the Coyote just has a different snarl. Muffler placement will change the volume and pitch, but there is not a combination that can replicate that "Signature Mustang Sound".

OP
OP
Shawnski

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
Well I will tell you I recently rebuilt a HO 302 firing order with a cam that was non HO/351. With the same shorty headers, X pipe and exhaust it sounded the same, albeit with more valve overlap lope due to the cam. Not very scientific mind you but perhaps more conclusive than a tri-y header 289 vs. a 351.

Engines sound different for many reason, a Chevy with siamese ports sounds different from a symmetrical SBF, just as canted valve BBF sounds different than an FE regardless of firing order under idle and moderate loads.

Exhaust has ALOT to do with sound, think of a brass musical instrument. However, you would be hard pressed to determine what V8 it is at WOT high RPM unless it has an FPC. A rear mounted mufflers to my ear have a rasp that mid mufflers subdue with enough exhaust tubing, or even with dumps ahead of the axle, the body itself resonates differently and masks the rasp, again at idle and moderate loads.

We will agree to disagree; I will see how this experiment goes...

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
Shawnski please keep us updated on the results. I have had similar thoughts and am curious to hear your results.

Sponsored

Nylesw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06' Ram 1500 5.7, Mustang GT premium 17' Silver
I have some 40 series hanging in the garage. Was wondering this myself.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
I had the same thought!!! Im not a fan of the way the last couple generations of Mustangs have been sounding and its mostly due to the axleback design. Ide love to see what a mid mounted, dual in/dual out muffler sounds like. I might have to just dive in and find out myself one day. If I could track down a stock exhaust setup to hack up and use I might be tempted to try it.

Ive heard a couple cars with the 40's welded up in the rear and they sound good but the crackle on decel is way too much plus the rasp at higher revs gets pretty bad. There has to get that old-school chambered muffler sound outta these things.

Matt

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
A thought occurred to me; the reason the fox body/Sn95 exhaust always sounded good regardless if what was a SBF or Mod motor was because the mufflers were mid body with long tailpipes.

The S197/S550 has a different tone (less refined in its pitch to my ear) due to its rear location of mufflers with very short tail pipes.

I wonder how an S550 5.0 would sound with one of these in place of the mid mounted resonator with tailpipes sans mufflers? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-527504/overview/

Could it replicate the classic beefy crackly tone of the fox body/sn95 flowmaster (chambered muffler) sound?
I had two super 10s dual inlet dual outlet in series as mid mufflers and no rear mufflers and it sounded pretty good just a little too raspy for me so I swapped them for an X pipe and two 18" case dynomax race bullets and I'm much happier with the way it sounds now the rasp is 100% gone and it has a more refined exotic tone at wide open throttle and a deep drum beat at idle now as well.

Last edited:

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
So the Solo cat-backs that have been posted on this forum multiple times? Plenty of videos of them online as well.
I meant dual in/out Flowmaster. Ive seen the Solo and it doesnt sound too bad, but not quite like a chambered Flowmaster.

Matt
Sponsored