DIY: Spark Plug Removal [2.3EB]

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
Holy Old thread revival, but I just did my plugs the other night using these instructions and it was so ridiculously easy, I'm not sure why I was so hesitant to do it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Holy Old thread revival, but I just did my plugs the other night using these instructions and it was so ridiculously easy, I'm not sure why I was so hesitant to do it.

Thanks!
:headbang:

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
I don't mind this old thread revival, saved me from having to search for it. Thanks Juben for doing this, you're the man!

Malkionx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Ecoboost Performance Pack
Using this on saturday, thanks for the bump!

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Been researching spark-plugs for a bit today, I'm wondering if its true that when adding proper pre gapped spark-plugs will give me better fuel consumption? Thx

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Been researching spark-plugs for a bit today, I'm wondering if its true that when adding popper pre gapped spark-plugs will give me better fuel consumption? Thx
Popper?

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Been researching spark-plugs for a bit today, I'm wondering if its true that when adding proper pre gapped spark-plugs will give me better fuel consumption? Thx
Depends. If the spark plugs that are currently in the engine are not gapped correctly, then spark plugs that are pre-gapped to correct specs can give you better fuel consumption. But unless the current plugs are wildly out of spec, don't look for a significant increase in mpg, more likely only 1-2 mpg, if that. Best way to increase mpg is a light foot, but with these cars, that can be hard to do; they pretty much beg to be driven enthusiastically. :D

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Sub'd

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Depends. If the spark plugs that are currently in the engine are not gapped correctly, then spark plugs that are pre-gapped to correct specs can give you better fuel consumption. But unless the current plugs are wildly out of spec, don't look for a significant increase in mpg, more likely only 1-2 mpg, if that. Best way to increase mpg is a light foot, but with these cars, that can be hard to do; they pretty much beg to be driven enthusiastically. :D
This.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Okay guys, here's something quick that I've thrown together for everyone that's doing this for the first time.

You'll need an 8mm (deep) socket, 10mm (deep) socket, wrench, and spark plug socket.

Step No 1:
Remove the cover by removing (4) bolts. 2 bolts are 8mm and the other two bolts are 10mm.

E2ZpJis.jpg

Step No. 2:
These are the (4) coil packs. The spark plugs are located underneath them.

dswpWzv.jpg

Step No. 3:
These are the two points where the wiring harness attaches to the coil plug bolts. These need to be removed by gently pulling upward and wiggling them.

Kfkjzj5.jpg

Step No. 3a:
This is a close up of the wiring harness attachment point on the No. 1 coil pack bolt.

FD9T2UB.jpg

Step No. 3b:
This is a close up of the wiring harness attachment point on the No. 4 coil pack bolt.

hhVFPH1.jpg

Step No. 4:
Remove the (4) 10mm coil pack bolts.

7J8gUYi.jpg

Step No. 5:
Remove the coil pack harness plug. First, slide the red tab away from the coil pack to unlock it. Second, press down on the little black (I accidentally called it green in the picture lol) tab at the back of the plug and pull the plug away from the coil pack.

cAlOvL2.jpg

Once you've done these steps, you're on the home stretch. Pull the coil packs up straight up out of the spark plug wells, use a spark plug socket to remove the spark plug itself, and then install the new plugs following the above steps in reverse order.

It was getting dark so I didn't have time to completely remove the coils, but once you complete the above Steps Nos. 1-5, you'll have no problem finishing it up. Good luck! :thumbsup: And don't forget, install the plugs hand tight and then give it about an 1/8th of a turn with a wrench.
What happened to the images?

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
For whatever reason, this site isn't linking to Imgur anymore. I've edited the links for the pics. You can copy/paste the links (clicking on them says access denied?) and it'll show the pics. I'll try to download them and reupload them elsewhere in the future, but I'm limited on time right now. However, you'll at least be able to view them now.

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
For whatever reason, this site isn't liking to Imgur anymore. I've edited the links for the pics. You can copy/paste the links (clicking on them says access denied?) and it'll show the pics. I'll try to download them and reupload them elsewhere in the future, but I'm limited on time right now. However, you'll at least be able to view them now.
Thank you sir! You're a gentleman and a scholar. Damn few of us left... :hail:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
For whatever reason, this site isn't linking to Imgur anymore. I've edited the links for the pics. You can copy/paste the links (clicking on them says access denied?) and it'll show the pics. I'll try to download them and reupload them elsewhere in the future, but I'm limited on time right now. However, you'll at least be able to view them now.
Why don't you simply upload them on the m6g site, then post them directly from there? That's what I do and it always works fine. Let me know if you don't know how to do it so that I help. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: