Sponsored

1st Tech pack With Trans Cooler!

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yeah sorry for the late update. I'm still exhausted after two days of getting up at 4am and driving to the track, tracking the car, and then driving home.

The car performed like a champ, and the transmission cooler worked perfectly. I was able to run 5 20 minutes sessions without ever experiencing limp mode. Had to leave early Saturday, and it started to rain after my first session today.

Trans Fluid temps stay in the 160-170 range with the pump running. Without the pump running it got to 210-220 about 10 minutes into the session at which time I switched the pump on, and temps almost immediately drop back to the 160-170 range.
Tech Pack hero!
Sponsored

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
Yeah sorry for the late update. I'm still exhausted after two days of getting up at 4am and driving to the track, tracking the car, and then driving home.

The car performed like a champ, and the transmission cooler worked perfectly. I was able to run 5 20 minutes sessions without ever experiencing limp mode. Had to leave early Saturday, and it started to rain after my first session today.

Trans Fluid temps stay in the 160-170 range with the pump running. Without the pump running it got to 210-220 about 10 minutes into the session at which time I switched the pump on, and temps almost immediately drop back to the 160-170 range.
Great Job!!! Glad to see it worked!!! :thumbsup::cheers:

Swartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Magnetic, Black Roof, Black OTS, Tech.
SVTDSM -

Quick question... When you get a moment could you please post the part number for the cooler? I looked through the thread and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Very well done!

Sponsored

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
Svtdsm - first off, great work!

Second, was there a reason that you chose to not order the factor lower cooler bracket?

I'm assuming that you didn't order the actual factory cooler because you want to use an8 front to back.

Also interested to know if you had to remove the bumper for more room to work, or if there was something bumper related in the way.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Base/ Tech Pack hero!

Fixed that for you ! :)

I'd be interested in a kit that retains the w/w fluid reservoir . And are all pumps that noisy ?

Thanks for the R/D time you invested in this. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
SVTDSM -

Quick question... When you get a moment could you please post the part number for the cooler? I looked through the thread and can't seem to locate it.

Thanks!
Here is a link to the cooler I used.
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...Product_Code=OC-608-15-NPT-3-4&Category_Code=

Svtdsm - first off, great work!

Second, was there a reason that you chose to not order the factor lower cooler bracket?

I'm assuming that you didn't order the actual factory cooler because you want to use an8 front to back.

Also interested to know if you had to remove the bumper for more room to work, or if there was something bumper related in the way.
Honestly, I wanted to use the factory cooler, and brackets, but there just wasn't enough time before my track day. I wasn't sure exactly how I would connect lines to it. I do believe I've figured out a way to connect -an lines to it using a part from the oem diff cooler setup, but I need all the parts in my hands to be sure. It would also add much more cost to the install and when all is said and done it wouldn't work any better, or worse...

This probably could have been done without removing the bumper, but surely would have been harder in the long run working in the confined space.

Fixed that for you ! :)

I'd be interested in a kit that retains the w/w fluid reservoir . And are all pumps that noisy ?

Thanks for the R/D time you invested in this. :thumbsup:
At least the pumps commonly used for transmission/diff are loud. It really is a non issue though. If you're driving hard enough to need the pump on, you won't be able to hear it over the exhaust.

Last edited:

hal_farthead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT350 - Tech pkg
Nice!

Just got a chance to do a little testing on the street and I'm confident this is going to work really well.

Steve, I really like the nGauge install location. Was that tough to do?

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Steve, I really like the nGauge install location. Was that tough to do?
Its pretty simple actually. That panel is just clipped in. You just need to be careful not to break the clips. I didn't have any break on me, but a couple did fall behind the dash which I had fun fishing out. Other than that the gauge fits perfectly once you remove the vent. I did use a little electric tape around the gauge to make it a bit tighter, but some just use double sided tape.

Sponsored

sammylew34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
So... After booking two days of track fun for April 9-10th I decided I was going to tackle the transmission cooler.

Did you drain out all the transmission oil? How much transmission oil did you need with the cooler installation? How do you know when it enough. Is there a sight gauge or dip stick for the transmission?

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I wish SVTDSM could report back on his cooler installation.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hope a bracket or cooler line didn't come apart due to engine vibrations and cause a problem.

OP
OP
SVTDSM

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
So... After booking two days of track fun for April 9-10th I decided I was going to tackle the transmission cooler.

Did you drain out all the transmission oil? How much transmission oil did you need with the cooler installation? How do you know when it enough. Is there a sight gauge or dip stick for the transmission?
What I did was, I drained the trans fluid, and measured exactly how much I drained. Then I measured how much the cooler held, and added that to the amount drained. The pump, and lines I primed with fluid.

In all I ended up calculating the new fluid capacity to be 3.5 quarts which is exactly what a track pack/R holds.

I haven't taken it to the track since the two track days I did back in April but, I still use the cooler whenever temps rise over 200 on spirited drives.

I hope a bracket or cooler line didn't come apart due to engine vibrations and cause a problem.
Nope, cooler works great, and the car is still running like a champ.
Sponsored