Sponsored

Rear gear noise after bmr cradle lock out and steeda black differential bushings inst

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
OK just tried this, no change, think its come from propshaft area maybe slip joint or u-joint.
Sponsored

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
I had a pretty loud clunk when loading or unloading the driveline. I traced it back to the front Steeda inserts.

I had to back the torque off of the short bolts that hold the insert in so the end was not touching end of the bolt from the other side the holds the diff. If you've installed them this should make sense.

I've thought about pulling the diff bolts (since they are easier to get out) and gluing a small piece of rubber or derlin to the end of it so the bolts can't touch.
How far did you back the front bolts out? I'm having this issue and feel like if I loosened them they wouldn't be holding the inserts in anymore....

Though the more I think about it all they are doing is holding the insert in place as the inner bolts have all the actual tension on them...

rainier446

Professional Amateur Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'15 OW GT/PP
I'm not not sure what you mean. I torqued all bolts tof spec. Didn't back any out
Earlier Coaster stated that with the Steeda diff inserts he had to back the front bushing bolts out a bit so that they weren't touching the inners because they share the same threaded hole.

Sponsored

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Stoked to find this thread! My shift-related thud is gone! But I too have a popping sound.

Because I couldn't fit a torque wrench into the front side of the front mounts (the shortest bolt) I cranked them pretty good and think I might have overdone it as you stated [MENTION=13317]Coaster[/MENTION].

I heard a few loud pops at random moments today moving it around the driveway and whatnot. Sorta worried that the subrame is not seated correctly and might be moving around?

I did use a jack to move the subframe back into place when tightening the front bolts. I never had to force anything in ... the 21mm big-ass blue bolts went in virtually entirely by-hand until I had to tighten them down. Pretty sure I did that all correctly.

The noises are concerning :(

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
Ah; yeah I'd be very uncomfortable doing that lol. If Anything I'd add a washer or something, but not leave bolts loose at all
The front bolts only hold the inserts in place, the diff is held by the back bolts. I only backed them off like 1/2 a turn.

FreeRein

FreeRein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M17 Mustang GT 6MT Coupe
I have just had these Steeda diff bushings (red) fitted and I get thudding, clunking on any load change and diff whine on overrun. Really big increase to NVH. Terrible. Thinking of ripping them out, but might try this backing out half a turn. Grind one of the bolts back a mm or two?

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I have just had these Steeda diff bushings (red) fitted and I get thudding, clunking on any load change and diff whine on overrun. Really big increase to NVH. Terrible. Thinking of ripping them out, but might try this backing out half a turn. Grind one of the bolts back a mm or two?
I took mine out....really didn't like the extra noise and vibration:(

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
After installing these, then uninstalling, and planning to reinstall, People must be hearing either gear lash or they're over torquing the shit out of the bolts.

Sponsored

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I had a pretty loud clunk when loading or unloading the driveline. I traced it back to the front Steeda inserts.

I had to back the torque off of the short bolts that hold the insert in so the end was not touching end of the bolt from the other side the holds the diff. If you've installed them this should make sense.

I've thought about pulling the diff bolts (since they are easier to get out) and gluing a small piece of rubber or derlin to the end of it so the bolts can't touch.
Did backing the bolt out slightly fix your issues??

CHADDYP-P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 Shadow Black
Hey guys 2018 A10 here with differential clunking as well.

I put in Steeda black diff bushings, vertical links and the "stop the hop starter kit" I have terrible clunking now when getting on and off throttle and going over bumps as well like in parking. Rechecked all torque specs and all was good. This is driving me insane!!

Do we know if the diff bushing front bolt being in too far is causing this yet?

audioslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT