Sponsored

Anyone use Mykey for service appt on their 350?

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 Expedition
Need group input for my uocoming separation anxiety! I did a search and didn't see anyone addressing the MyKey function for service.

My 2016 DIB GT350 going in for its initial service at 1200 miles. Need oil change, filter, and state inspection. I want to service it a Ford dealer to make sure everything is documented for any potential warranty issues on a new model, new engine, performance etc. product. As I have taken kid glove care of it so far, I have anxiety about leaving it at the dealer where a joyride (or even worse, high rpm neutral revs to hear that exhaust!) in a very limited production car is likely a great temptation for any service employee... (Ferris Buehler's valet scene comes to mind!)

Anyone use MyKey to help with this? Per my review, it can only limit speed, not rpm? I could do oil change and filter myself but it still has to go in for inspection. Would rather do that at Ford than Sears or somewhere else that the risk would be even higher...

Comments? Any help for my psyche appreciated!
Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Don't worry about it. It's not a subtle car so they won't be doing stupid things with it.

Also make sure they understand it has a unique oil filter. When I took mine in, it took several hours to get the filter from somewhere else.

Mustang Marcus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 2016GT350 Magnetic Blue Stripe
Just explain to the service writer that you really want the car taken care of.
Then stay at the dealership, near where they are servicing the car.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Get a dash cam, hard wire it in, and tell them about casually at the service desk.

All I got on mine for an oil change was the tech saying he didn't like how my Recaro's felt lol.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Or just simply ask them to allow you to drive it up in the ramps and off. My Ford master tech asked me to drive on and off the ramp and walked me thru everything he did. Was cool to be under the car and see the technology.

Sponsored

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Just explain to the service writer that you really want the car taken care of.
Then stay at the dealership, near where they are servicing the car.
Good advice, just stay there if you're concerned. If you're at the dealer they won't be doing a test ride since it's an oil change. They'd risk getting fired for taking it off the lot without reason.

TonyJ5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My dealer let me pull it around and on the lift...nobody drove it.
Stay with the car and over see it...they had no idea it needed 10qts and were going to undo the entire belly pan to get to the filter...there is a little trap door...
Don't let her out of your site!

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Anyone with sync3 can try valet mode. I'm not sure if the track cars have that or not, but it should accomplish the same feat much more simply.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Just make sure the service manager understands the car does not leave the lot.

OP
OP
1BlackSheep

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the advice! I am now more nervous about my situation....

I have to work 6am - 6pm Friday and service open 8am - 5pm. I would have to leave it Thursday night before they close at 8pm (they promised to let me drive it in and keep it locked in the bays overnight). I would then be able to pick up about an hour after they close with them locking it out in the lot. Safe area. I trust dealership as they have serviced a Taurus, Explorer, and 2 Expeditions for us over the years. GT350 is another issue though. Would anyone leave their GT350 in that situation?

I guess I will keep it in my garage this weekend and schedule service nest week as can't be driving without an inspection.

It is a tech car. Where is limp mode when you need it! :lol:

Good advice to stay there for minor service on these type cars, these stories are numerous on quick search:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/car-own...ce-during-visit-to-audi-palo-alto-dealership/

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/04/23/couples-vehicle-taken-for-high-speed-joyride-during-tune-up/

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/dealership-employee-totals-camaro-zl1-during-joyride/

Valet mode with camera a great idea:
[ame]

Sponsored
OP
OP
1BlackSheep

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also make sure they understand it has a unique oil filter. When I took mine in, it took several hours to get the filter from somewhere else.
Thanks. I did have them preorder the recommended Motorcraft filter and 5W-50 oil as they did not stock either. Quoted $31 for filter and $9/quart for oil plus labor which seemed reasonable.

OP
OP
1BlackSheep

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone with sync3 can try valet mode. I'm not sure if the track cars have that or not, but it should accomplish the same feat much more simply.
Thanks. I didn't think of that. As Tech car, has Sync3. Will read up on it and try it tonight. Would love if Sync3 can limit revs as one of the worst things for these engine is some idiot taking it to 8k with no load...

As we Tech owners try hard to keep our cars out of it on the road, I would love to find a way to keep rpm<5k in limp mode for service work!! :)

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Apparently valet mode doesn't do anything too useful after looking into it. I figured it would've controlled some actual ecu settings to prevent hooning. Instead it prevents your personal info showing on the screen.

... Not what I had expected.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I bought an extra fob and programmed it myself to be a mykey limited performance fob for these exact circumstances. It all depends on your comfort level with the people who service/handle your car.
Sponsored