Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
PLEASE no personal attacks on people,this is a forum to help people. This is a real problem and very frustrating on a new car.I am a auto tech and mine has/had the drive line vibration . My dealer had sold 10 when I brought mine back in March of 2015 and 3 had the vibration so if any one has driven several and they didnt have a vibration it was luck of the draw or the early ones were worse.
Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Multiple people here have said a Ford engineer has inspected their vehicle, and it was found to be operating properly. If the vibration "issue" was as bad as people on here claim, no engineer would call it normal. I've worked with them before, and their job is not to ignore problems. It's to objectively diagnose and repair them.

If someone can post readings from a vibration analyzer, maybe we can get somewhere. Those readings consist of the following:

- G reading
- Frequency
- Order

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
Multiple people here have said a Ford engineer has inspected their vehicle, and it was found to be operating properly. If the vibration "issue" was as bad as people on here claim, no engineer would call it normal. I've worked with them before, and their job is not to ignore problems. It's to objectively diagnose and repair them.

If someone can post readings from a vibration analyzer, maybe we can get somewhere. Those readings consist of the following:

- G reading
- Frequency
- Order
Unfortunately not all Field Engineers are created equal and some will swear up and down that it's working as designed while clearly there is an issue. For example, my 1015 was replaced through the Lemon Law so clearly it wasn't normal. The passenger door struck the fender every time the door was opened and the field engineer stated it was normal. It wasn't normal and the paint was completely rubbed off in the area of the issue.

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Quick update: Tires were replaced by dealer (2016 Ecoboost/MT). Vibration still exists. Went back to dealer and complained. They ran a few tests with the vibration meter and concluded the drive shaft needs to be changed....(duh!). DS to be replaced in a day or two. Anyone wants to guess what happens next? :)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Quick update: Tires were replaced by dealer (2016 Ecoboost/MT). Vibration still exists. Went back to dealer and complained. They ran a few tests with the vibration meter and concluded the drive shaft needs to be changed....(duh!). DS to be replaced in a day or two. Anyone wants to guess what happens next? :)
Sure.

They will replace DS and the vibe will still be present...and they will say it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle... Then you will come back on here to tell us the same.

Now if only predicting lotto numbers was just as easy...

Sponsored

JeffARB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
'92 GT conv, '15 GT conv, '15 LE Kona AT #0015
This is a REAL issue that Ford needs to put forth an effort to STOP. I have rented ten 6g Mustangs while traveling, coupe and convertible, and 3 of them (1 2015 V6 and 2 2016 I4s) have had this vibe; all common symptoms. Vibrations felt in pedals, steering wheel and seen in rear view mirror starting at 45mph through 70ish + mph. It's awful. Thank God my 2015s (see sig) don't have it! Come on Ford, Pericak even mentioned it in the 'A Faster Horse' documentary! :ford:

scram99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 6A
Is this the vibration support group?!?

Hi, my name is Ed, and my 2016 GT convertible vibrates like a dog poopin razor blades from 45-65 mph...shew, glad to get that off my chest!

Trip 2 to the dealer today (first trip they actually tried to say it was sound buffetting from the convertible top, then all looked at each other with stupid looks when I asked why it still vibrates with the top down) and they called engineering to have the vibration machine sent in, however I have little faith that they are going to say anything except "the vibrations are within normal parameters". Not really sure what to do when/if that happens. Very frustrating...

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure.

They will replace DS and the vibe will still be present...and they will say it's a normal characteristic of the vehicle... Then you will come back on here to tell us the same.

Now if only predicting lotto numbers was just as easy...
Well...I don't intend giving up that easy. The company has accepted the defect and there is no turning back. As long as I feel the vibrations and the vibration meter evidences it, it will continue to be a defect and I will go all the way until I get a replacement car.
The dealership has been understanding thus far.

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the vibration support group?!?

Hi, my name is Ed, and my 2016 GT convertible vibrates like a dog poopin razor blades from 45-65 mph...shew, glad to get that off my chest!

Trip 2 to the dealer today (first trip they actually tried to say it was sound buffetting from the convertible top, then all looked at each other with stupid looks when I asked why it still vibrates with the top down) and they called engineering to have the vibration machine sent in, however I have little faith that they are going to say anything except "the vibrations are within normal parameters". Not really sure what to do when/if that happens. Very frustrating...
Hi Ed....
Pray you will have the courage and patience to endure the 4 or 5 steps Ford will make you go through before it gets finally fixed (hopefully)! Stay strong!

S550GTDan

21 I had a midlife crisis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / Performance Package
Mine's fixed! Here's what the dealer did for me, no questions asked. They had an Engineer come and fix it alongside a technician.

Vetronix NVH Vibration Analyzer was hooked up
Determined issues.
Checked Driveshaft runout
Re-index driveshaft - recheck runout
On-car balance driveshaft

ORIGINAL DRIVESHAFT & PINION FLANGE & REAR DIFFERENTIAL

No unbalanced tire bullshit.
No not believing the customer

Originally brought it in, told them to line up the yellow dots. They did, no change. 5 days later I have engineer working on it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Race Red GT 6 speed
Went back to the dealer today trip number 4. Technician drove the car and said it's very strange and he had no idea on how to fix it because the intensity of the vibration changes with speeds. Service manager drove it and said it's just road noise. I asked how fast u get it up to? He said he couldn't go but 65 because he could lose his job going 5 over the speed limit. I even explained to him several times it starts at 70. And then said it was tires. And road force balanced them. Still vibration and drone noise after that. Then had the balls to tell me that it was something that he couldn't fix because he tried a rear differential already and that didn't fix it and he had no idea what it could be. And wouldn't let me drive another one on the lot to compare it to mine.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Mine's fixed! Here's what the dealer did for me, no questions asked. They had an Engineer come and fix it alongside a technician.

Vetronix NVH Vibration Analyzer was hooked up
Determined issues.
Checked Driveshaft runout
Re-index driveshaft - recheck runout
On-car balance driveshaft

ORIGINAL DRIVESHAFT & PINION FLANGE & REAR DIFFERENTIAL

No unbalanced tire bullshit.
No not believing the customer

Originally brought it in, told them to line up the yellow dots. They did, no change. 5 days later I have engineer working on it.

Nice ... now that's how it should be done. Focused with a knowledgeable engineer and tech, and taken care of fast and efficiently.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Went back to the dealer today trip number 4. Technician drove the car and said it's very strange and he had no idea on how to fix it because the intensity of the vibration changes with speeds. Service manager drove it and said it's just road noise. I asked how fast u get it up to? He said he couldn't go but 65 because he could lose his job going 5 over the speed limit. I even explained to him several times it starts at 70. And then said it was tires. And road force balanced them. Still vibration and drone noise after that. Then had the balls to tell me that it was something that he couldn't fix because he tried a rear differential already and that didn't fix it and he had no idea what it could be. And wouldn't let me drive another one on the lot to compare it to mine.

[MENTION=14558]15gt[/MENTION], seems like you need to plan a trip to Rhode Island. :doh:

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
This is a great Informative thread

Reason why this thread is Great:

1) People find out very fast what "road force" tire balance is. Interestingly, I have run low profile tires that are not road forced, and they didn't shake. It takes the technician longer to do the road force balance, and I will agree it is worth it and required with certain tire brands.

2) People reported that "indexing" the driveshaft helped or fixed the vibration.

3) People reported installing a new driveshaft didn't fix it, but sometimes it did fix it.

4) I assume when a dealer replaces the "driveshaft", they mean they are replacing the entire 2-piece assembly, not just the rear portion, or the front portion.

5) A few people stated replacing the differential gear or the entire gear and rear housing "fixed it".

This thread is very serious but what is most serious about it is that it points to the fact that a dealership is going to wait and they have to first prove it is not the tires.

I have been reading these posts to try to see proof of where the problem truly is coming from and it looks like the driveshaft has to be balanced after it is already mounted on the car. that is just how it looks to me.

Anywho I am glad people are not afraid to tell the truth about this vibration and I also watched "A Faster Horse" and the team leader executive was testing the car and said "We still have too much vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal".

In the movie, they did discover a vibration.

Surely Ford has this situation figured out by now. :cool:

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
Surely Ford has this situation figured out by now
I'm sure they know more than they will admit to as its damage control on the issue for the warranty period. The rear diff fixed 80% of the vibration but the dealership was quick to ask if they can close out the item with ford. I said i'm going to take time to drive the car a few hundred miles first. ;)
Sponsored