Sponsored

Who in their right mind would trade a Porsche for a Mustang?!

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP
TGIF and 3 boxes came today. Motorsport tech spacers (adapters), 25mm Fronts, 23mm Rears, and 2 goodies from BMR, their springs and cradle lockout kit. This video really sold me on the cradle lockout, the before/after reduction in wheel hop is crazy. Action starts at 1:29;

[ame]

Planning to get all this knocked out Sunday afternoon :headbang:
Sponsored

Nylesw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06' Ram 1500 5.7, Mustang GT premium 17' Silver
Nice video. Making me want to buy more crap.

raceguy388

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wow that video sold me!! Looks like I need to spend some more money with BMR!!

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Yep that's a great video to show the significant improvements the BMR Kit can make.

It's on my shopping list for sure!

Sponsored

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I. Love. This. Thread.

Reactions: A7X

vicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Porsche to Mustang

I made the move myself. went from a Sweet 2003 911 Carrera 4S AWD to the 15 Mustang gt. I LOVED that Porsche for what it was... Crazy handling slot car that absolutely owned the curves. WHAT A BLAST to drive. Alas, for me there was simply something still missing. I needed that V8 rumble and presence! In the end I just needed American muscle. So I made the jump! I will always remember putting that Porsche through its paces but for me.... I just needed a change. Come to think of it......Never thought I'd give up on my Viper for the Porsche either but for me everything runs its course. Here is a pic of the 911
I left behind. Loved all the rides I left behind. DAMN.... now that I see it again...........: WHY CANT WE KEEP em ALL!?!?!? :love::frusty:

IMG_2499.jpg

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, we did.

But first, a little background. The girlfriend and I are car enthusiasts to the core. There is nothing we'd rather be doing in our free time than engaging in activities where our hands are wrapped firmly around a steering wheel. We auto-x together, we drag race together, and we hit the road course together.
Excellent! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Interesting, I'll watch out for that, don't know why rotating the pipe in the joint would cause you an exhaust leak if you tightened everything down?
That joint is not the best planned out part on the exhaust system. The ball and socket seem to be a "one shot" attachment. Once the clamp is tightened down, the outside of the joint forms to the ball. It's not perfectly circular too. So once the assembly line worker tightens it down, it's done. And to make things worse, the clamp is just a hair too big to re-tighten things all the way.
There was a recall on a lot of these pipes on early production cars like mine that were leaking from the factory. My guess is that they tightened them down too soon when installing the exhaust system and went back to make adjustments.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I made the move myself. went from a Sweet 2003 911 Carrera 4S AWD to the 15 Mustang gt. I LOVED that Porsche for what it was... Crazy handling slot car that absolutely owned the curves. WHAT A BLAST to drive. Alas, for me there was simply something still missing. I needed that V8 rumble and presence! In the end I just needed American muscle. So I made the jump! I will always remember putting that Porsche through its paces but for me.... I just needed a change. Come to think of it......Never thought I'd give up on my Viper for the Porsche either but for me everything runs its course. Here is a pic of the 911
I left behind. Loved all the rides I left behind. DAMN.... now that I see it again...........: WHY CANT WE KEEP em ALL!?!?!? :love::frusty:
Wow.

And here all these years I've really wanted a 911, but have only been willing to spring for Mustangs for my toy cars. Maybe I was right all along???

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I could afford to buy the Porsche, but I can afford to own the Mustang (and Corvette).

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As promised, suspension goodies were installed this past Sunday. Gotta give a big thanks to my buddy Moe for contributing a workplace and my other good friend Dillon for landing a needed pair of extra hands. Doing anything suspension related on your own is an absolute pain. Overall everything went smoothly, this is not a very difficult install by any means, just a lot of doing. If we had the proper tools this would have been a 3hr affair, but because we were missing a stupid offset deep box wrench that was necessary to get at the strut mount main bolt, our install took 6hrs. 3 of which were spent tracking down the stupid wrench and wrestling with the garabage rental spring compressors. Do yourself a favor, get a real strut spring compressor if you're going to attempt this. We spent an hour fighting the damn springs on/off the struts. As usual, having the right tools is 75% of the job.

Stock ride height and offsets, ugh.

Started with the tough stuff first, the fronts. Getting everything apart was a breeze with an electric impact. Pulling off these massive 6pot calipers and pizza platter brakes that I love ever so much...

Lia wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty and was helping out where she could. Giving me a hand with the strut mounting bolts here;

Front strut is out, this is where we started to realize we don't have the tools to separate the top mount off of the strut.

A forum had gathered to grasp at things, talk shit, and bang on things with wrenches.

While we were wasting time wrestling with the strut, Moe and his gf were busy losing their own battle with the elements. They were washing their hurst as intermittent rain clouds would deposit just enough sprinkles to piss them off as they dried.

Alas, after some time, the hurst was cleaned and deposited safely back into the garage.

Both fronts completed.

Starting to reinstall on the front end and torque everything to spec. After wrestling the springs onto the struts this was quick and welcome progress.

Fronts were buttoned up and we turned our attention to the rear. Upper shock mounts are undone, and we are ready to start pulling off the front and rear cradle bolts and dropping the cradle.

Rear cradle bolt coming off;

Front cradle bolts and the dinky oem stamped steel mount, which will be replaced with the BMR unit.

Cradle mount is out, comparing it the BMR unit and getting ready to install the front and rear cradle bushing lockout spacers.

Rear spring being wrestled back in. Driver's side was more of a PITA than the passenger for some reason.

Buttoning everything up on the rear, and starting to torque everything down.

Rear cradle spacer and lockout washer in place, and bolt torqued. Spring is seated as well.

Front cradle mount installed and spacer/bushing lockout installed and torqued. New mount has the added benefit of functioning as a jacking point as well.

After the suspension was all buttoned up we installed the spacers. 25mm up front, and 23mm out back. I was light on the pics here as we had pretty much had it by that point and it was getting late. Did snap one pic of the rear adapter going on. Everything was torqued and double checked and off we went;

I could tell on the first corner out of the neighborhood that I was a happy camper when the car didn't exhibit the same type of body roll as I was used to. Everything seems much more planted, more responsive and direct. Less squat on accel, much less brake dive, and just better roll control due to the reduced center of gravity. Best thing, absolutely no change in ride comfort, cannot tell a difference from the oem springs as they are both the same rates (which is why I chose them in the first place). Lockout kit is absolutely worth its weight in gold, I got the car to 3k in first and just mashed it--which is where the oem pirellis would usually start to hop faster than a bunny on a hot plate--and all I got was absolute smooth wheelspin, I banged second real hard to see if things changed as the suspension loads and unloads but just a whisk of smooth wheelspin, no hop. I was beyond pleased.

As far as the ride height and fitment it is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Everything is flush front and rear, and the car has just a slight rake front to rear to give it a very appropriate muscle look. Some crappy night shots are all I could get for now, I will take some daytime photos with a real camera soon.

Before/After

Home sweet home;

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some daytime pics :headbang:

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the car aligned at a local shop, everything in spec even with the lackluster adjustability from the factory. Excuse the dirty car, its got a weeks worth of rain/grime on it.

Really itching for a proper shifter and tune now. Hard to drive the car with all this bs torque management and clutch protection. Add to that a shifter that is beyond sloppy/vague and it becomes a less-than-pleasurable WOT shifting experience.

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51
Small world running across this thread, car looks great! Hope to see y'all out on the track sometime. Especially that Viper :headbang:
Sponsored