Buying Out of State

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Good evening,

I need advice, I am about to pull the trigger on a AG Tech Pack (putting deposit tomorrow to hold the car until i close escrow).
My question is, I dont want to fly out to the dealer and look at the car.
Is this a good idea?
Do i need to ask certain questions since i will not be looking at it in person?

Thanks, Al
Sponsored

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Good evening,

I need advice, I am about to pull the trigger on a AG Tech Pack (putting deposit tomorrow to hold the car until i close escrow).
Is this a good idea?

Thanks, Al
It's all up to you, but I bought mine sight un-seen.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Good evening,

Is this a good idea?

Thanks, Al
If its close enough to somebody on the forum maybe they could go out and look it over.

You probably want to proof of condition since it looks like it is being shipped to you. Get a bunch of photos taken??

Is the splitter installed? (loading it would be more difficult) Did it include a car cover? Inventory of owners manual stuff.. etc.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Do you have good pictures of the cars fro all angles? Ask about panel alignment. Beyond that if you have concerns this may not be the right car for you.not many GT350 are looked at before their purchased.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I ordered from out of state. Given the fact that the car has a warranty and many of the things that you were worried about should be warranty issues I wouldn't worry about it. You need to make sure that the dealership takes good pictures of the car before is transported so if there's damage during transport you can put that on the Transport company.

Best case scenario would be you pick it up at the dealership then none of those issues matter at all. Worst case scenario you just lose the cost of a plane ticket if your car is messed up but again any problems with the car should be covered under the factory warranty period

OP
OP
AGGT350

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input and I will use them all.
Also any recommendations on a transporter? It's from KS to CA.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

A number of people here have recently transporting cars across country. I'm sure they will chime in.

http://gt-ms.com/

I think these guys are the official Transporters for Shelby American.

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I had a great experience with http://www.intercitylines.com/

I remember Jay leno said he used them for all his car transports in one of his episodes of jay leno's garage. I ended up trying them out and have nothing negative to say of the experience.

OP
OP
AGGT350

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Sorry, all these questions just come up as i think more about it.
The car i am looking at already has the front splitter installed anyone had to transport with the splitter and what was your experience with that and any issues? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
Just drive it home. I decided to buy my 350 before most dealers even knew what a 350 was. It's really a decision you just have to jump into. No dealer is going to let you come kick the tires or test drive.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
i'd fly in. Whether you choose to drive it home or have it transported back is immaterial.

So lets say you are being super cost conscious.... you can most likely grab a southwest flight for $100 each way.

book two one ways and make the return a refundable fare, just in case you choose to drive it.

I think you'll inspect it, then buy it, then drive it, then not want to just send it.

the driving experience would be awesome. go through sedona, AZ and enjoy the twisties.

either way, the plane ticket is a tiny percentage of the money spent.

I would also set expectations with the dealer during prep on condition.

seems like the biggest issues we all see with the cars are hood paint boogers and rear bumper alignment.

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 Expedition
Just drive it home. I decided to buy my 350 before most dealers even knew what a 350 was. It's really a decision you just have to jump into. No dealer is going to let you come kick the tires or test drive.
I bought my 2016 DIB Tech out of state, sight unseen, and had never even seen or sat in a GT350!! Drove it home 475 miles with my 16 year old, the exhaust open, both grinning ear to ear, and didn't even turn on the stereo. Best road trip of our lives...

Go for it! The dealer was super accomodating and knew he could sell it to others. He said if I didn't like it, didn't fit in, or it was anything less than advertised when I got there, I could walk away. Rented a car one way and he even returned my rental!

The transactions (I have purchased 3 vehicles out of state) are always the easy part. Other advice to avoid snags:

1) If you drive it, get in-transit or a dealer plate to avoid paying taxes in the state of origin that you would have to get refunded or credit in your state. Pay taxes and license it when you get home.

2) Regardless of how it gets home, in order to have smooth transition, MAKE SURE the dealer gives you the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (the car's "birth certificate") from Ford with both the 1st section (transfer) and the 5th section (odometer disclosure statement) filled out, signed, and notarized. You will also have to sign section 5 that the odometer was correct. You can fill out the lien section yourself if you have a loan.

3) Helpful for the dealer to also sign/notarize a VIN verification statement so you don't have to take the actual car to the DMV, AAA, etc. (especially after you have sent back the out of state dealer plate!)

4) Make sure to have MCO, bill of sale, proof of insurance, driver's license, and VIN verification and several checks (one for $4000+ :eyebulge:)

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

bobmclean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Out of State

I bought mine in Colorado, asked the sales guy to eye ball the car & send me a video. Worked perfectly....Intercity picked up the car and 5 day later it was in front of my house. Enjoy!

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
1 black sheep has offered great advice. I've bought several out of state cars and he's pretty much nailed it. Even if you ship it back the price of a plane ticket to inspect the car and take care of the paperwork is minimal compared to the money you're paying for the vehicle.
Sponsored