Sponsored

Engine "Rattle"

Westfalia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Westfalia Camper
I'll disagree with you on the normal valvetrain noises thing but you bring up a good point .
Ok. Impossible to diagnose from a clip on the internet imo. I hear valves, fuel injectors clicking, and other stuff in there too. The gear rattle, obviously, will only happen at lower rpm IN GEAR with clutch out and a lighter throttle. Sounds like people can replicate it in neutral so...

Does this car have a DM flywheel? If so, that usually eliminates what typically people call LWFW "chatter".
Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Must be my tablet but I don't hear anything related to the rattle discussed in this thread. The only time mine does it is under light load clutch out. Rolling clutch in paked clutch in out etc, nothing related to the "rattle"

Weather is finally clearing so plan to get some miles in this weekend...will mess around and see if I can replicate it any other way

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Ok. Impossible to diagnose from a clip on the internet imo. I hear valves, fuel injectors clicking, and other stuff in there too. The gear rattle, obviously, will only happen at lower rpm IN GEAR with clutch out and a lighter throttle. Sounds like people can replicate it in neutral so...

Does this car have a DM flywheel? If so, that usually eliminates what typically people call LWFW "chatter".
Yes, it's an internet clip so ymmv.. I'm pretty good at hearing and identifying engine noises - and the last one I posted sounds so much like piston slap, it's not even funny. I'll try to listen to another one in person, soon.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Just listened to it on two dfferent sources and can't pick up anying up related to valve train or piston slap.

What exactly are you hearing?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's the most noticeable on the first mild rev. A mechanical, slightly hollow clattering sound that runs up and down with rpm.

Rags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Ok I have been away driving thinking this would go away but I'm now at 1k miles and its still there. chewing, gnawing, making my think of only one thing. What is that noise. Ha

Like everyone its around 2k - 3k a fast vibrating/rattle noise. I can keep it at level RPM and sustain it. I drove next to a wall with windows open and its very noticeable as it ruins that lovely flat plane sound we paid for.

Ready for first oil change so i'll ask about it.

Also notice a little extra sound/feeling (not related to above) when driving slow (rush hour) and engaging the clutch (1st/2nd gear). louder than I'm used too. A couple clunking noises I hear/feel but probably nothing crazy.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I just got back from a lunch spin and noticed something interesting..with the exhaust open I could not hear mine while driving by a wall and I'm certain it's clearly loud enough to be heard at such light throttle. The interesting part is my drivers side exhaust valve is not closing correctly. It hisses at idle and has a mettalic rattle when lightly revving.

I'm going to mess with it on the way home today but could all this be our exhaust valves rattling under just the right conditions?

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
Hi not for me I can hear it with exhaust open or closed (with Windows down). It's more quiet after warm up but definitely still there

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Took mine out for the first time tonight and first thing i noticed if this rattling sound .
Like mentionned here, it happens when cold and under light throttle. Sounds like a loose heat shield of some kind.

Has anyone gotten their cars checked by their dealerships ? Any update on this issue. It is very annoying .

Sponsored

1BlackSheep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 Expedition
See below. What is described is very likely piston slap as mentioned below. Here is the thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50347&highlight=rattle

OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
What i'm hearing is not piston slap but like one poster said it might have to do with a bad exhaust valve.
I'm gonna have my dealership look at it as i have to bring the car in for a driver side rocker panel replacement.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Anyone have any update on this. Will bring mine in soon and wanted to hear back from those that brought in their cars to their dealerships.

This noise whatever it is (and it ain't piston slap ), is driving me nuts. :frusty:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
MP - how are you sure it's not piston slap? Do you have a recording of it you can post?
Sponsored