Sponsored

Track Day Drivers - What are you doing about the lack of Tow Hooks on the car?

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So there is a nice picture in the manual about a tow strap. Thinking that on a track or even on the street no tow truck will have anything but some giant "J" hook they want to grab onto some part of the suspension, I made something. Hopefully I'll never have to use it but I have it. Its overkill rated at 5300 lbs. I used the "T" hook because it seems to fit best. Folds up nice in a box in the trunk. Take a look.
hooking that up will be a real PITA if you are in the mud or a gravel pit. If you need a tow at the track they are trying to get you off the track ASAP so it can go hot again
Sponsored

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
At my track day today , an owner of an S197 race car said to just use the strut tower brace if you needed a tow. Pop the hood and throw a strap around it.

Not sure I'd use that method, but it was an interesting solution.

-T
That's my plan for BIR this weekend, and I may throw a fleece sleeve from one of my wheel tie downs in the glove box to put around the strap where it intersects the front clip in front of the hood. If the S197 STB held up, the GT350 will probably be strong enough to get you out of a gravel trap if they can get to the front of the car. The strut tower bolts are twice as big and don't tie into the strut mount like the S197 did.

This is a big deal and I hope someone solves it soon. I'm more worried about a track side mechanical than a crash. If you crash you've already got damage, unless you're just sunk in a gravel trap. After three clutches, two gear boxes, a slave cylinder and engine wiring harness issues on the Boss, I'm hoping this car holds up on track better. From everything I've seen it does and will. We beat on them pretty hard at TA and no issues. That said, when you whale on any car under track conditions, things break.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
As noted on the first page, the race cars have steel bumper beams. They just weld the hook to it basically, at least on the front. I haven't seen the rear.
Watson sells the tubular chromoly rear bumper beam with the tow hook attached like in the photo. It will work on any S550. The front doesn't line up with the GT350 front fascia and radiator ducting. I thought about getting the rear one installed, but in the last seven years running Mustangs I've never used it. I always needed the front.

REAZO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
So there is a nice picture in the manual about a tow strap. Thinking that on a track or even on the street no tow truck will have anything but some giant "J" hook they want to grab onto some part of the suspension, I made something. Hopefully I'll never have to use it but I have it. Its overkill rated at 5300 lbs. I used the "T" hook because it seems to fit best. Folds up nice in a box in the trunk. Take a look.
This is really a great job. Well done. Did you do it yourself or work with a local fabric/cover shop? My local tracks (PBIR in Palm Beach, Sebring) doesn't have much sand, so this is great.

Also, excellent color choice. Mine is same combination! Love it.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Good info on the tow strap, I found some of those T link with pear and order two Now I'll pick a tow strap from harbor freight and have my canvas repair man stitch me up one also. I Think every car should have one in the trunk. Cause the Guys I've seen towing are NOT carefull

Sponsored

danhuberty

Dan Huberty
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 ShelbyGT350