Col3371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Ruby Red GT
Its all relative to what your used to.
My XK8 auto box is as sweet as, very quick & never feel the change. The Mustang i test drove wasn't as good as the Jag's for sure so I went for the manual.

That said I seriously considered it still & after 13 years of Jag autos I may well return in 3 years time. It's a good box but there's better out there. Wouldn't stop me having one :)
Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Why's that? There manual box in the competition pack is sweet! Who has a performance car and no manual?

There no way I would even take a look at the DCT, even in my 911 I had a short throw shifter over PDK, then again I use mine on tracks and balancing a car with the clutch and modulating throughout corners is very useful, autos just don't compare on a track

Horses for courses :)

WTF, LOL !!

You balance a car throughout a corner using your right foot, not the left lol. Is it April fools again? :D

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
Its been a long day lmfao! You more than anyone should know that wasn't my brain talking :lol:

I meant into a corner :lol:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its been a long day lmfao! You more than anyone should know that wasn't my brain talking :lol:

A modern auto or DSG style car is actually better at balancing the car though as it makes perfect rev matched downshift everytime. :)

naughts4187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard

Congrats on the M4. I was looking at one but couldn't find a manual used anywhere with the right spec, and I couldn't afford a new one. What colour did you go for? I was looking at Azurite Black with golden brown leather inside... was beautiful but just a DCT and not the 6 speed!

Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Congrats on the M4. I was looking at one but couldn't find a manual used anywhere with the right spec, and I couldn't afford a new one. What colour did you go for? I was looking at Azurite Black with golden brown leather inside... was beautiful but just a DCT and not the 6 speed!
Wrong forum mate.

naughts4187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard
We're all here to appreciate cars. No harm in asking. Also I'm not your mate, mate.

OP
OP
MyMilkshake...

MyMilkshake...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M4 Competition & Tuned DS3R The Stang Killer
Everyone was really confused when I specced my car as a manual! I have gone for Mineral with Silverstone interior, just loved the contrasts :)

Azurite Black is lovely!

How strange that we have ordered the same colour combos! We both have great taste ;)

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
I think DCT gets confused with an auto box and it strictly is not- it's a semi manual box with an auto clutch and they are very different. There is plenty of driver involvement with the paddles.My first experience was with a loaner cayman 3.2s while my first mustang was in for a fender bender and I was disappointed that I got a cayman and then it was an "auto" how wrong I was - fab car and fab gear box. b road hooning was a delight, fast crisp changes down shifts into the bend perfect. just hearing the car banging through the gears was music The DCT on my M3 is fab and the porsches with PDK I have driven superb. If there was a DCT on the mustang I probably would have gone for it.There is no way you can change faster than a dct with a manual and the rev matching on the down shifting is superb and prevents plenty of valve chain lash. I would drive one a couple of times before your write them off. once you get a feel but you need a good long drive to really get used to it if it is your first time

Sponsored

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
I can second the above hugely, had an E92 M3 Coupe DCT for just under 3 years, the gearbox + engine was fantastic. Loved the blips on downshift and with the modded OEM exhaust it sounded great too. I am however going back to a manual for the Mustang.

For the OP M4 is a cracking car, I had an extended test drive in a M235i with the Auto and M4 with the DCT back to back when my car was being serviced. Both great cars, M4 much more of a car but also 20k extra. Coming from the E92 my only negative was the sound in the M4. I know it's never going to be V8 sound but when your used to it, it's a little disappointing. Enjoy the M4, it's a lovely car. :thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think DCT gets confused with an auto box and it strictly is not- it's a semi manual box with an auto clutch and they are very different. There is plenty of driver involvement with the paddles.My first experience was with a loaner cayman 3.2s while my first mustang was in for a fender bender and I was disappointed that I got a cayman and then it was an "auto" how wrong I was - fab car and fab gear box. b road hooning was a delight, fast crisp changes down shifts into the bend perfect. just hearing the car banging through the gears was music The DCT on my M3 is fab and the porsches with PDK I have driven superb. If there was a DCT on the mustang I probably would have gone for it.There is no way you can change faster than a dct with a manual and the rev matching on the down shifting is superb and prevents plenty of valve chain lash. I would drive one a couple of times before your write them off. once you get a feel but you need a good long drive to really get used to it if it is your first time

AUTO is auto to an extent, when you do not have a clutch pedal and the car can change gear for you, that is an AUTO, the technology behind it is the detail. :)

But agreed they are very different systems but the latest DCT and Porsche PDK Sports Plus are absolutely incredible for driver involvement, they really are and when you just wanna cruise or in city traffic full AUTO mode works just as well and smoothly as an old school auto like the Mustang has.

The new 10-speed from GM/Ford is looking very good with reviewers saying its as good if not better than BMW's DCT, hoping it finds its way into the Mustang next year or 2018. :)

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Yep, turning into a Beemer thread!! Wrong forum!! I'm outta here!!!

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Just shows horses for courses. Ive driven the dct e90 m3 and manual. Much prefer the involvement of the manual and found the auto a bit 'droney' especially when not using paddles. Same with the 335i auto i had, didn't like that at all

MoZ

MoZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang GT
Ford don't need to fit a DCT style box to improve the 'paddle' experience in the Mustang. I think the 'Auto' mode is OK but it's the paddle shifting that lets it down. Anyone whose driven the last gen XK or the 8 speed auto F-Type S/R knows how good and involving a good auto box can be. Perfect rev-matches / instant shifts etc and still good in boring old 'auto' for GT driving. Even old 06 / 07 XK's were half decent so no reason ford can't improve.
It's amusing that this thread has become a heated debate on auto vs manual when we should all be telling Mr Milkshake what a bad man he his.. Let off far too lightly IMO lol.

Edit - FYI - I have a manual GT..
Sponsored