Magnaflow cat-back Competition series

vunguyen12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vu
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Black
Dude, I'm not sure who,is saying comp is to loud. It is somewhat louder, but no where near being near the definition of loud. I have the cat back comp series.

It is THE deepest sound at idle. There is NO Popping or crackling when lifting and slowing down while in gear. None, zero.

At WOT, and heading up there from idle, it sounds real nice. Low. At WOT, standing on it, it gets a slight tinny noise. It definitely loses the deep voice. Like you grabbed hold in a private area and squeezed tight.

I drove the last couple days to and from work ( hour each way ) without radio,on and just listened to the sound. It is sweet. Really. I'm thinking I need a CAI, not for HP, but for sound, and some long tube catted headers to make that Magnaflow sound louder.

If you have listened to all those exhuasts that sound tinny. MF is not them. At all. Just watch our buddy Bill in the CJ video for Magnaflow. Bill said they were the deepest. As I see it, he should know. He has heard them all.

For those that think comp is loud, they couldn't have been around car shows, been to races or seen Ozzy Ozborne live. I'm going to start documenting how loud these exhuasts are.

Cheers!
+1 what he said.

The "tinny" noise at WOT is what I'm trying to get rid of. Sounds like a loose clamp vibrating against the exhaust. Perhaps adding some Vibrant resonators would help? Not a big deal though as it sounds amazing 99% of the time.
Sponsored

killer5point0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Dude, I'm not sure who,is saying comp is to loud. It is somewhat louder, but no where near being near the definition of loud. I have the cat back comp series.

It is THE deepest sound at idle. There is NO Popping or crackling when lifting and slowing down while in gear. None, zero.

At WOT, and heading up there from idle, it sounds real nice. Low. At WOT, standing on it, it gets a slight tinny noise. It definitely loses the deep voice. Like you grabbed hold in a private area and squeezed tight.

I drove the last couple days to and from work ( hour each way ) without radio,on and just listened to the sound. It is sweet. Really. I'm thinking I need a CAI, not for HP, but for sound, and some long tube catted headers to make that Magnaflow sound louder.

If you have listened to all those exhuasts that sound tinny. MF is not them. At all. Just watch our buddy Bill in the CJ video for Magnaflow. Bill said they were the deepest. As I see it, he should know. He has heard them all.

For those that think comp is loud, they couldn't have been around car shows, been to races or seen Ozzy Ozborne live. I'm going to start documenting how loud these exhuasts are.

Cheers!
Oh the comps are loud, but too loud, that is completely subjective. To say they aren't loud would be an injustice to the exhaust system. They are not 'race car' loud but they are still loud. If I didn't have to drive the car as much as I do, and the hours at night I would go comps, they have perfect sound for a weekend warrior. However, starting the car at midnight with the comps would probably piss my neighbors off.

I opt' for the streets and they are perfect for my needs and wants for the car. I have had the Street Catback on for 3 days now and I have had a little drone when accelerating but it dies off in 6th when I hold a speed on both the highway(65-100) and the streets(40-60).

I agree with you, they are definitely the deepest exhaust I have heard on the coyote with a bass that resonates through walls, people will know its you coming even when you are trying to be quiet. WOT is music, vicious music. The Streets have the same tone, as Bill from CJPP claimed, just less volume. MF has a very unique sound that I never expected from an x-pipe. It is worth the money for the quality of sound you get.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Oh the comps are loud, but too loud, that is completely subjective.

To say they aren't loud would be an injustice to the exhaust system.

I opt' for the streets and they are perfect for my needs and wants

WOT is music, vicious music. It is worth the money for the quality of sound you get.
Hey Killer,

I agree with you that the perception and tolerance each person has for what is considered 'loud', is a unique personal observation. I imagine a lot of a persons experiences and physical auditory capacity is in play for tolerance of difference sounds.

I will say right up front, I completely believe the Magnaflow 19101 exhaust is worth every penny as well. I love this warmer weather when I can drive with the windows down and just go up and down through my gears listening to the exhaust notes. Looking at the materials used in the construction, the quality of the welds and the use of 3" pipe, Magnaflow is putting a high quality product on the shelves. I not only has the right sound, It is built with quality in the US.

I realize other Manufacturers have devoted followers as well. For me, it is Magnaflow on Mustangs.

From early 2014 to October last year, I drove a 2014 GT with Roush axelbacks. To be specific, 'MPN# 421127 ROUSH AXLE-BACK EXHAUST (11-14 GT, 11-12 GT500)'.

The Roush is LOUD! Nothing else done with the exhaust and my family could hear me coming home, maybe a little less then a 1/4 mile? A couple blocks anyway.

With the Magnaflow Comp Cats, my family hears me when I get on our street, maybe 300 yards from the house. For some reason, I can not upload the video, or post an automatic link, but copy and paste, you will hear my car as recorded by our iPad.

HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5nkL7_qaA
To say it is an injustice to not call the 19101 loud? That's to far.

Can you hear them, yes. Can you continue a conversation in the car at normal voice level on highway, yes. 100% of the time. When there is no load on the engine on the highway, I can not hear them at all. It's like the OEM exhaust. In town, at a stop light, and light acceleration from block to block, the Comp system has a very civilized voice. It sounds like quality. It has a superb deep thumpa-thumpa-thumpa gurgling sound that is pleasing. I heard my car from inside a house, pulling away when I let one of my cousins take it for a short ride. By the time it got past the house next door, I couldn't hear it. Pulling up to the house, again, I only heard it as it drove past the neighbors house. I highly doubt your neighbors will be disturbed by the sound as long as you are not flooring it.

Today, I ran an app on my iPhone driving to work and home to record the decibel levels using a free app. I'm not an AV expert and did not certify the precision of the app. I will vouch for my iPhone, I keep it very clean. :crazy:

Cruising on the highway, in neutral, coasting with no throttle and windows up, I was recording in the ~85dB-~90dB decibel level. Forcing all the drone and rasp I could, the average reading I hit was ~85dB-~93dB. Sometimes I saw a reading in the ~94dB-~97dB range. To hit over 100dB, I yelled as loud as I could to see what that would do. I hit 101dB.

I added a chart to be able to understand what those numbers sounded like.

I would be interested if others with their exhausts would take the same readings. All was done with the windows up. When I rolled them down after I got my numbers, the dB's did not go up.

I will let the data talk to loudness. I will not argue what 'loud' is. We all have google to look at. To see a video of the sound from inside my car, look at this video. It was taken the day it was installed. We had a normal conversation. Windows up.
HTML:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svUwJBBbtF8
To the OP, and a question about which MF to buy? If MF is a good choice for you? It has Great Quality. It has Great Customer Service, For the questions I had for them, I received answers in hours, not days. They also were great at following up. It seems, loudness is a perception. Depending on where you are, maybe you could hook up with someone to listen for yourself. Or, take the plunge like we all have already done. I know it is hard to really get a sense of what it will sound like on your ride.
decibels-levels.jpg
cbg83_1.766.jpg

killer5point0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
[MENTION=20849]Pa-fatboy[/MENTION],
Well spoken my friend, I couldn't have said it better.

Well, you seem to have a very different experience between your old roush ab's and your current MF Comp Catback. That's a pretty drastic difference what your family hears between the two. My family says they can hear my car 1/8 of a mile under WOT in the house, but I'm sure you were talking about driving under normal acceleration though.

As for the dB readings, they are not high in the car for me either. These systems combined with the S550 sound insulation are fine, no issues. It's what's on the outside of the car is what I am interested in. If I remember correctly, Jared from MagnaFlow told me the rating for the Comps were 109 dB. Under what circumstances, I do not have the faintest clue. I'm guessing WOT outside (Please correct me if I am wrong). The dB is completely different on the outside and that's where I usually like to judge and exhaust.

As for the quality of the build, I'm going to have to agree with Pa-fatboy, it is spot on. I couldn't ask for any better.

Lastly who knew a baby's scream was that loud on the dB chart. :lol:

Sponsored

///Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP Premium
I had the MF Comp Catback on my DD. I have received so many compliments on how it sounded. Nice deep idle and deep growl during acceleration. I really really really want to keep the exhaust because it sounded so nice, but there were 2 problems.

1) Cold starts are LOUD. Yeah, it only lasts for about 45 sec, but it's loud. It's not wake the dead loud, but it's loud. My neighbor is a pastor and he hasn't complained, but I know every time he hears it, he feels the devil is coming.

2) Too loud for long road trips. I drove with the comps on the 26 hour road trip. I know Bill from CJ Pony says it doesn't drone, but it sound like drone to me. Even at 2800 rpm, I'd get droning sound from the slightest tap on the accelerator. Wife and I were temporarily deaf during the road trip, which might be a good thing for some people if they don't wanna talk to their sig others. I intend to take the Mustang on more long road trips and the drone is a deal breaker.

Anyway, my car is in the shop now after I spun out on a patch of black ice. The MF was damaged, so I'm taking the opportunity to replace it with a Roush quad active exhaust AB. It's definitely pricey, but I think worth it for the daily livability to go from near stock to jackass loud with the flip of switch. I get the car back in the next few days, so I haven't heard it yet. Can't wait.

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Today I ordered 2 Magnaflow mufflers. I am going to have the MBRD Mufflers cut out and the Magnaflows welded in. Part # 12229 these are for 3" exhausts. $169 shipped for both mufflers. My hope and prayers are they will tone the RASP down. Talked with Magnaflow tech today very nice guys and helped me every step of the way to get me the correct mufflers. Thank you Magnaflow. :headbang:

grumblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Our Mustang systems wont be raspy in the least bit. Most people agree they're one of the deepest sounding exhausts out there right now. If you would like sound clips of a certain system, send us a PM anytime. We're always happy to help!
I've had my MF Comp cat-back on since February of 2015. Low and deep, ZERO rasp.

It turns heads and I've gotten "Man, that thing sounds like a nasty beast" more than a few times.

This is my 3rd MF (on 3 different cars) and I can't imagine buying anything else. Love me some deep.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I've had the Competition Cat-back since the car had just 500 miles on it.
The exhaust tone is VERY deep in the low rpms. It sounds great. On cold start-ups you can hear a bit of rasp at the top of the rpm it hits when starting. Then settling on that nice deep tone again.
Under 3000ish rpm it does stay nice and deep, but don't listen to half these guys. There IS rasp and there IS drone.
The rasp is very apparent in the higher RPM. I will say this though, with the added Supercharger, it did change the note of the vehicle and I actually enjoy it a lot more.
I am a fan of the cackle/pop of a free flowing exhaust. And it now has that effect.

Drone is VERY apparent in the vehicle around 2000rpm in 6th gear.
The wife can't stand the noise, and i usually have to drag out 5th gear until im passed that RPM when shes in the car.
Do I notice or care when im alone? No, not really. I understand it's a deep sounding exhaust, you are going to have drone.

I am happy with the exhaust and would recommend to others. I've been a magnaflow fan-boy for years and have had them on my other mustang.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I'm on the fence with the comps. I had FM American thunder on my RT charger and it was terrible. It droned on every gear not just cruising. I definitely want something aggressive. Initially leaning towards corsa or borla but I can't justify the price. A lot of people tend to sell these used. There are a few sets locally in CL.

Sponsored

Adaraas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
16 Premium GT, 17 Laramie Cummins
I'm on the fence with the comps. I had FM American thunder on my RT charger and it was terrible. It droned on every gear not just cruising. I definitely want something aggressive. Initially leaning towards corsa or borla but I can't justify the price. A lot of people tend to sell these used. There are a few sets locally in CL.
Here is mine. https://vid.me/FZ0u

I have headers so I thought the drone would be ever worse. It isn't. The car has virtually no drone unless you're lugging it in 6th gear.

grumblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
As soon as you pull the resonator box off, you've got drone. It's a fact. How much and at what RPM is just going to depend on resonant frequency of your car / cabin.

My Magnaflow comps are an incredible sounding system, but man, I can't even use 6th gear to cruise at 70-75. It's almost unbearable. There are fixes - I'm thinking about going from the 3:23's to 3:73's - that'll change the whole gearing and let me get my RPM's where I want them.
Sponsored