Rear window support brackets on convertible

NFS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT convertable
6 pages and not one word from Ford Service wanting to correct this on going problem. This is a freaking joke. I have been once and of course they don't know what to do. I will be going again. I'm so tired of popping in myself.
Could we use lemon law to replace complete top if can't fix within a certain amount of trips that are very inconvenient?
Sponsored

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Got my car back after 5 days, put the top down, drove home, put it up and both bars are out. LOL

Here is my service paperwork to help anyone else, has the part number for the clips. They claim to know nothing about a foam block and will not call any dealer or other party in this thread. Car goes back tomorrow morning 7am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tolzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Convertible
Time to find a new dealer , mine at first tried to fix it and like yours they just popped back out, after I mentioned Ford had an official fix they contacted Ford and got a kit. Since then the supports have stayed in place. Now after a almost a year of problems I can enjoy my car. The fix is out there !

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem is, now that one dealer touched it for this problem, no other dealer will touch it for that work

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Time to find a new dealer , mine at first tried to fix it and like yours they just popped back out, after I mentioned Ford had an official fix they contacted Ford and got a kit. Since then the supports have stayed in place. Now after a almost a year of problems I can enjoy my car. The fix is out there !
Likely to fall on deaf ears at your dealer, but would you be willing to request your service advisor investigate the name of the person at Ford that is knowledgeable of this issue and that supplied the kit? Dealer laziness is so frustrating. :frusty:

How can we bird dog this fix and get a Ford engineer to go public (make info available to dealers? I can see Fords reluctanc eto 'admit' a problem by officially issueing a TSB, but FRICK, can't Ford at least let us have the contact info of the one engineer at Ford who has the fix, so at least those on the thread here can give a direct Ford contact person for this kit and instructions to fix properly?

Has anyone contacted Ford Service on this Forum (with a link to this thread) asking for help? I think it would be way cheaper for our Ford Service Rep on this forum to send everyone on this thread a kit with instructions? They could install themselves or take it to their dealer. We have seen that all but two dealers refuse to investigate for a kit.

Thanks Racerttx for the how to PDF and Benjamin for copy of your service paperwork!

Last edited:

Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Just sent my first message to Ford Service on this

I just sent the following PM message to Ford Service here on this forum requesting they help out on this issue. Feel free to send a message to them also.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=7992

"There is a (7) page thread on the problem of Convertible Mustang rear window support rods routinely popping out and refusing to stay in even after repeated trips to dealers to have new rod end clips installed. Only two forum members were lucky enough to have their dealer's do enough research with Ford to find that 'someone at Ford' created a fix kit (rod ends plus foam pads plus very specific install instructions). But many, many other members have had frustrating multiple trips to their dealers, who refuse to track down this kit. Ford has not chosen to issue a TSB, but SOMEONE at Ford has developed a fix, likely a sympathetic engineer in the department responsible for the convertible top.

Ford Service, please contact the factory department responsible for the convertible top, find that empathetic engineer and get that repair kit officially recognized and entered int the system at a minimum.

Getting Ford to create a TSB on this widespread problem would be the best option. But barring that, I for one would like you to send me (and anyone on this thread who requests one) one of these kits with detailed installation instructions. I would install it myself, saving Ford the expense of a warranty service claim by dealer. But more importantly save ME and others from the PIA of multiple trips to our dealers.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. Please let me know what you are able to find and disseminate about this fix kit.

Sincerely,
Dave Kroske"

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the car back again today, Tech widened the clip and reconnected and drove the car around town today with the top down and they couldn't get them to fall out. I drove home put the top up and they are still in there. We will see how long it lasts I guess.

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
Brought mine in yesterday to have the ordered parts installed which did not take the tech very long to complete. Unfortunately however, upon the first use of the top the brackets disconnected. Rescheduled again for repair.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Please contact Ford Service here with your multiple dealer trys

I received a PM from Meagan at Ford Service today, She asks for my vin, etc. I have not been to a dealer to try to fix. Have any who have already jumped thru the dealer hoop route ad nauseum contacted Ford Service on this Forum to try to follow up that angle?

I don't know if it would help, but emails to one Ford Service rep from Benjamin, Racerttx, and drstara with their info and stories, seems like an untried angle worth trying.

The response I got today from Ford Service on this forum:
"Thank you for reaching out. The best way for engineers to become aware of concerns and implement repairs is for owners experiencing the issue to head to their dealer for diagnosis and documentation. As I'm not a technician (and I do not have direct contact with the engineers) I'm unable to discuss or suggest repairs.

I can, however, look into some options on my end. Please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and dealer info.

Meagan __________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD

All, I was asked to report back to give everyone an update on this fix. Yes, after 6 months the fix is still in place. The Ford dealership did the work so I can not give you too many specifics. However I can tell you that the clip must go on a specific way onto the rod, and the foam block must be in a very specific place. Below is the CAS and CRM numbers from Ford. The dealership that did the work was Five Star Ford in Plano, TX. Ask for Chris in Service (972) 905-3531

CAS-7819250/2015 Mustang CRM:01116000000374
Mr. Stara, I'm glad to hear your repair is still good.

Everyone with this issue should simply visit your local Ford dealership and have them submit a request to the Ford Hotline to replace the entire top ($7k repair) due to the rear window support bars repeatedly coming loose during operation. Once they investigate they should very quickly jump to deny the 7k repair and send a 'kit' containing the clips and foam block. As far as I know there is no part number for this kit, no TSB or anything as it will have to be pieced together and sent from one of the engineers.

I did have someone call me and I am working on getting the instructions, I will share the info when I locate it.
Took my car to the dealer on Thursday, I was told there is no bulletin or TSB from ford about this. They have no idea what parts to order. I showed them this thread with cas numbers and other dealers that have tackled this issue and the response I got was they are not gonna call another dealer, they will call ford. So I have an appointment Thursday for them to have the car all day. They will do something, like reinstall only to have me come back. I find it hysterical that you can present info and leads to them when they admit they are in the dark about a subject that is their business, and will not accept said info or make a simple phone call. No they would rather take up my time with multiple trips. Tesla has the right Idea, dealerships need to go. We should be dealing directly with ford.
I was able to find the instructions for the clip replacement, still working on the foam block installation instructions. If I can't get my hands on the original illustration I will make one. :D

http://fearsvt.net/Scan0003.pdf <-- Clip Replacement Instructions

Foam block placement illustration on the way!
Got my car back after 5 days, put the top down, drove home, put it up and both bars are out. LOL

Here is my service paperwork to help anyone else, has the part number for the clips. They claim to know nothing about a foam block and will not call any dealer or other party in this thread. Car goes back tomorrow morning 7am.

8f465c6eb6c374ebb10ca89f56b58441.jpg

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My bars are still in and the dealer considers the problem fixed. I think they will come back out eventually.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Any more info on this? I ordered a CS vert and have a vested interested:)

tolzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco Convertible
One thing I did before the dealer took me serious was walk the parking lot and found that almost every 2015 and early 16 Convertible Mustang top had that issue including several customer cars that were there for other reasons. I explained sadly some just think its normal and probably haven't noticed the rear glass flopping back and forth. So I volunteered to inform them ... So my isolated case wasn't so isolated any more.

Honestly I didn't know about the issue until I read about it here too , just assumed it was normal like the drive line vibration and panel fit : )

Last edited:

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
One thing I did before the dealer took me serious was walk the parking lot and found that almost every 2015 and early 16 Convertible Mustang top had that issue including several customer cars that were there for other reasons.... So my isolated case wasn't so isolated any more.
That was just a brilliant way to show the usually 'blow you off' service dept it is a real issue!

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Got a call from Ford Service rep from forum

I got a call from a Ford regional customer service manager, Mark, who gave me a case #. He explained that dealers have access to a Hotline for service issues. Having not been to a dealer yet, he suggested I take it in so they could assess the issue. I asked if he could access this Hotline to find all the other inquiries that all or many of your dealers I assume have called in to to find a fix. He could not, but they have an in hose guy who could check the Hotline for other occurances of this issue and any solutions found. He'll get back to me in one week with any results.

If this Hotline works as described, this issue should have at least several reports from you all's multiple fix tries.

Do any of you recall your dealer service rep referring that they called Ford's National Hotline, and the responses they got? Having read the multitude of wasted trips many of you have had, I won't waste time dropping my car a a dealer to try reinventing the wheel. If Ford Service regional rep cannot find research and solutions on this issue from all the existing cars brought to dealers, why would mine be different?
Sponsored