Sponsored

Is it just me, or does the S550 look awkward from certain angles?

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I love my car and I think it's very beautiful from most angles.

But sometimes I see them in pictures and in person and the car looks kind of...awkward looking to me.

Like, the front looks very bulbous, and it looks very elongated. It's hard to put my finger on that something just looks wrong from certain angles.

Some photos I feel it looks odd in

Does anybody feel this way? I guess it's just the angles and how my mind processes it. Obviously I voted with my wallet, just an observation.
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I agree about not liking the front much. I like the look of the late 60's fastbacks the most. When I bought mine, I didn't buy it as much for its looks, but for the engine.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
I am sure you're not alone, but I don't agree.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Its like Nina Agdal to me. Sexy from all angles!

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
At stock suspension height with stock 18's the car does look slightly bubble-like at certain angles. I think after you do some mods though, it'll start to grow on you more. I have the same OEM wheels you do and will be replacing them in the not-too-distant future, but I will say that as soon as I dropped the car an inch all around on new springs, it did help the stance quite a bit. Putting on some new 19's or 20's will also have a similar effect, I'm sure.

By the way, the long, sweeping front end is almost a Mustang trademark. They need lots of space to cram that glorious V8 in there. :D

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It does look kinda bloated form certain angle.
When they first came out with the design in 2013, I purposed this change.
1476115_10151823077301631_617208689_n.jpg

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Im happy with most angles and stances of the s550. The one look I cant get past is when directly behind the car. The rear window sweep just doesnt merge well with the trunk/tail panel area. But I guess that is the end result when designing the nice bulging quarter panel lines of the car..very sexy indeed lol

bballr4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pontiac GTO
I agree. A GT with the 18" wheels looks somewhat off and it's hard to place.

Favorite view is the rear 3/4 view. Looks pretty good from that angle

murphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I love it from every angle! Before the S550 I never gave the Mustang a second glance. From a kid in the 70's to now an adult, I always favored the Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, hot hatches like Golf R32 (had a Mark V) and Focus ST (had a 2013) and cars like Nissan Z, Toyota Supra, Honda Prelude, Acura Integra, and Mitsubishi Eclipse. The S550 Mustang is the first Mustang to catch my eye and I love looking at my car when I see it the morning, all day from my office window, at night before I go to bed, pictures on my iPad, and everybody's pictures on this forum.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
it does look a little awkward to me. Particularly the back of the car and tail light section. It needs more green house as well. And maybe a little chrome trim.

I like the looks of the BMW M4 better but I don't like the price tag. And I prefer NA V8 over the TT V6.

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In my opinion, the most attractive portion of the S550 is the rear end. Man oh man did Ford nail everything about it. Everything from the tail lights, the wide rear hips, the rear roof/glass, to the lower bumper/diffuser is perfect in my opinion.

Now, what I don't like is certain aspects of the front. First, the headlights are too spread apart which causes the grill portion to seem to gaping and gives the front a fish-eyed appearance. Secondly, the front end sits way to high which makes the car have a strange dicotomy of which the rear end looks very low, slick, and aggresive with sharp lines while the front end seems more like a 4 door sedan with it thick vertical fender height, floaty looking stance, high/bulbous hood, and plain wide eyed front end. That's why it doesn't look very good from the front and front 3 quarters view.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think the problem with front is it does not have a scooped chin like most sports cars. It's rather flat in the front. The top part of the bumper is rather long making it look like a bit down look.
Steeda has a rather factory looking solution

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I love it from pretty much every angle, I have a hard time finding a look I don't like. Occasionally, I think the headlights are too small but it has to be from just the right angle (front/side view from a slight elevation - me above car).

I like the view out through the windshield better on my 2010, that may be the best hood ever put on a Mustang, but the S550 is magic overall. I love the rare occasion when I see one coming towards me...looks exotic.

I will say, it took a little time to grow on me, unlike the 2010 redo...that one was love at first sight.

Oh, and the rear end is perfection on the S550.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The other thing is the hood is rather flat making the front rather boxy.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Most cars have an awkward side. My Javelin looks gorgeous from every angle except a direct profile where you can see the front overhang is longer than the rear overhang. But from either a front or rear 3/4 view, it looks magnificent. Must be a trick of the light.

There are few things that annoy me about this generation of Mustang. One is the turn signal/windshield washer wands - but we're not talking about that and it's pretty much irrelevant.

The body line from the doors over the fenders is perfectly flat. I believe that is what makes the snout look outrageously long. If that body line were to gently flow up over the wheel arch or point down as it got closer to the door, that would help to make the mid-section look narrower. Also, from directly behind, I agree the window is a little awkward where the top is perfectly square and the bottom is rounded. I'm sure that helped make the trunklid fit better. I'm hoping that rear window louvers will help, but also wider rear tires seem to add some width and draw focus away from the window.

I also dislike how the Base GT did away with the blacked-out section along the bottom of the bumper. It makes the GT-base look unfinished and is silly to make a person want to step up to the Premium for something simple like that.

Funny thing was, I went out for Chinese food today and no sooner had I parked, a '15 GT parked right next to me. I was fairly shocked to learn that the Mustang is not a whole lot bigger than my Tiburon. I'd always felt the Mustang was much larger.
Sponsored