Sponsored

Looking for good shop for mods in SW Chicago area

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Anyone know of a trusted shop to do suspension work like lowering coils and performance mods like aftermarket shifter in the Chicago Southwest area or nearby suburbs?
Sponsored

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Anyone know of a trusted shop to do suspension work like lowering coils and performance mods like aftermarket shifter in the Chicago Southwest area or nearby suburbs?
Competition Transmissions in Lansing, IL - right across the street from the Lansing airport. Ask for Joe. :cheers:

OP
OP

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Thanks, I'll check them out. You doing your own wrenching on the Super 8.8 or was that Competition Transmissions?

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks, I'll check them out. You doing your own wrenching on the Super 8.8 or was that Competition Transmissions?
I brought them my 3.73 differential and they gutted the housing, painted it, and then rebuilt it with my new 3.31 ring and pinion (reused torsen Diff). They also pressed BMR and FTBR bushings into my LCA's and knuckles for me. I did all the disassembly / reassembly of the rear subframe.

I have also recommended them to put a new McCloud Twin Disc clutch into a buddy's Gen5 Viper, and he was really happy (typical anal viper owner).

Joe (the owner) builds and races stock cars and is widely known for his racing transmissions. If I ever do an auto swap Competition Transmissions will be building me a TH400. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any project I didn't want to do myself or any project I simply lacked the skills or tools to complete...

Sponsored

OP
OP

DropTop66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
That's quite an endorsement. Sounds like the kind of place I'm interested in.
This is my first Mustang after a list of family sedans. While I used to do plenty of wrenching on my previous Chevy's and '64 GTO, laying on the cold garage concrete floor and contorting around under a vehicle just isn't as doable (nor as much fun) as it used to be. However I still want to make the Mustang my own and am very particular that whatever is done to the car is done right.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you go from a 3.73 way down to a 3.31 rather than a 3.55? For my convertible the PP option was not available but I would have preferred the 3.55 over my 3.15. Clearly diff changes are not cheap so I'm sure you have a solid reason.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That's quite an endorsement. Sounds like the kind of place I'm interested in.
This is my first Mustang after a list of family sedans. While I used to do plenty of wrenching on my previous Chevy's and '64 GTO, laying on the cold garage concrete floor and contorting around under a vehicle just isn't as doable (nor as much fun) as it used to be. However I still want to make the Mustang my own and am very particular that whatever is done to the car is done right.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you go from a 3.73 way down to a 3.31 rather than a 3.55? For my convertible the PP option was not available but I would have preferred the 3.55 over my 3.15. Clearly diff changes are not cheap so I'm sure you have a solid reason.

Thanks again.
3.31 is a better rear gear for a Supercharged car with the MT82 on this platform. I like to take my car to the dragstrip and with 3.73 rear gear and the MT82 gear ratios, you need to shift to 5th and/or rev the engine well north of 7,500 to get your best E.T. & MPH. Let me know if you have any other questions. I recommend BMR for any suspension parts and the MGW shifter is excellent, especially paired with the Boomba trans mount and a change to Amsoil syncromesh :headbang:

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
I do work out of my home garage in Huntley, IL...its not south but might be worth the trip. $60/hr shop rate...PM for details
Sponsored