Sponsored

Clutch Spring Reduced Poundage No Pedal Lag -- Installed and Tested

jhann76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I received the 59# spring from ebay last night and it looked to be the same length when I compared it to the OEM spring. My OEM spring is about 2.25 inches in length when at rest. I installed the 59# spring last night and it fits snugly on the assembly both at the top and bottom of the clutch travel. It was much easier to install though as I was able to compress it with my hand instead of using any pliers. But it appears to be snug enough to stay on without any modification. I haven't driven it yet though, so I guess we'll see after a bit of driving. All I can say at this point is that it didn't fall off when I tested it several times in my garage. I'll update after I drive it to work.
Sponsored

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
I am with you. I can't get mine off either. The GT350 steering wheel swap was a piece of cake, but getting the clutch assist spring out has turned out to be impossible for me, so far. And I have watched every video, and read every post.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
how do you guy take the spring out? i saw the video and try to slant it or uses vice grip but the spring it self it so strong....

I do not get how guy take this out so easy
I am with you. I can't get mine off either. The GT350 steering wheel swap was a piece of cake, but getting the clutch assist spring out has turned out to be impossible for me, so far. And I have watched every video, and read every post.
Assuming you guys are pushing your clutch pedal fully down with one arm while using the other to take the assembly out?

I think the tolerances on some cars are different than others in the clutch pedal assembly. On my OEM one, I literally just pressed the clutch pedal to the floor, then wiggled the spring assembly out with the other hand. Didn't need a vice grip or anything. Did break off one of the tabs, but it really doesn't matter, sits just fine in place now with the soft spring.

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
Assuming you guys are pushing your clutch pedal fully down with one arm while using the other to take the assembly out?

I think the tolerances on some cars are different than others in the clutch pedal assembly. On my OEM one, I literally just pressed the clutch pedal to the floor, then wiggled the spring assembly out with the other hand. Didn't need a vice grip or anything. Did break off one of the tabs, but it really doesn't matter, sits just fine in place now with the soft spring.
That is bad. it means my clutch pedal is softer than others as well...

jhann76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Update: Drove the car this morning with the 59# spring with no issues. The spring definitely makes the pedal a bit lighter... I'd say maybe somewhere near the middle of the stock feel vs. no spring feel. The spring also makes the pedal return all the way to the top... no quarter inch play like many of us had with no spring. Lastly, the engagement feel seems to still be pretty good. I'm very happy with the new spring. Seems like a perfect set up now.

Sponsored

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
I ordered

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XEW4WM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

This spring on amazon.

I had hard time to take the spring assemble out. but my friend helped me to get it done.

This spring is not fit perfect tho. little tiny... But wiggles it few second with tool than it is fit on it.

after install it everything is perfect. little harder clutch pedal but most of benefit is linear feel pedal and smooth shifting. no clutch lag anymore i noticed it.

i think i like this. i need to drive more tho... but it was so good on test drive.

PS: The clutch engage point is little higher than OEM Spring. what is reason for that? anyone have idea on that OR notice that?
KakaoTalk_20160205_145238625.jpg
KakaoTalk_20160205_145238835.jpg

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
That is bad. it means my clutch pedal is softer than others as well...
Likely a tiny bit, yeah.

It's most likely the OEM spring tolerances, some slightly longer than others, thus making it harder to get out by hand.

A good grip with some pliers around 2 rings should help though. Biggest challenge is the tight and awkward space under there.

If you're not planning on using a spring at all after removal, I'd just grab the spring with a vice grip and yank hard sideways to break the tiny top clip. That's the only thing holding it in there. The bottom just slides sideways off.

seanboltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Taking out the stock spring, first make sure the spring is oriented such that two middle coils have space above and below so that you can effectively get your longnose vise grips onto them. My problem at first was the spring was oriented such that I could not get a vice grip on the top of the two coils... so I simply depressed the clutch and then reached up and rotated/spun the spring around so the two middle coils had even space above and below them. Only then could I now get the vice grip around those two middle coils and compress them. Once compressed, and vice grips locked onto the coil, take your hand and pull down slightly on the top plastic piece to pop it out of its cradle. Viola, spring removed.

waited

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
GTP-PP 2015
Likely a tiny bit, yeah.

It's most likely the OEM spring tolerances, some slightly longer than others, thus making it harder to get out by hand.

A good grip with some pliers around 2 rings should help though. Biggest challenge is the tight and awkward space under there.

If you're not planning on using a spring at all after removal, I'd just grab the spring with a vice grip and yank hard sideways to break the tiny top clip. That's the only thing holding it in there. The bottom just slides sideways off.
Thanks i just get it out just one post above than you lol. i am so happy now.

Sithel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello!
So I ordered this amazon version a few others posted. Figured why not for under $13 shipped. I received it today and put it in. From what I can tell it seems pretty much the same as not having the spring in, with the added effect of removing the 1/4" play at the top of the pedal. This Forney 72654 spring is a little longer and inside diameter around 1mm smaller making it a tight fit. I fixed this by just smoothing out the inside of the spring with a dremel and sanding wheel. Overall it's doing what I wanted it to do.

Here are a few pics and a video I made. I apologize now for my horrible video making skills but just wanted to show the difference between the 2 springs, which I believe shows that.

Video:
And again here's the spring i bought: http://amzn.com/B003XEW4WM
spring1.jpg
spring2.jpg
spring3.jpg

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Hello!
So I ordered this amazon version a few others posted. Figured why not for under $13 shipped. I received it today and put it in. From what I can tell it seems pretty much the same as not having the spring in, with the added effect of removing the 1/4" play at the top of the pedal. This Forney 72654 spring is a little longer and inside diameter around 1mm smaller making it a tight fit. I fixed this by just smoothing out the inside of the spring with a dremel and sanding wheel. Overall it's doing what I wanted it to do.
Thanks. Going to give this one a shot. I have Prime and a $13 amazon gift card balance. So why not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
Hello!

Here are a few pics and a video I made. I apologize now for my horrible video making skills but just wanted to show the difference between the 2 springs, which I believe shows that.

Video:
And again here's the spring i bought: http://amzn.com/B003XEW4WM

Thanks gonna give this a try.

You can get it for $8-$9 shipped from here:
http://www.bigronline.com/tool-acce...3-8-inch-by-2-1-2-inch-by-135-inch-142025.htm

Glex25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I just placed a order from Century for 5 59lb springs and 4 39lb springs if anyone in the North Jersey or NYC area are interested in them. I'm keeping one of each for testing purposes

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT base with 3.55's

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
Does anyone know the weight on the spring, or are we just guessing? I have a 59lb installed and while the clutch feels heavier now, it did not do much to help with feeling the contact point for engagement.
It helped me a lot. i love the feel of the 59# spring in mine. I have no problem knowing where the point of engagement is.
Sponsored