Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Cliff notes? 39lb feels better or the 59lb?

seanboltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Update

To follow up on my post last night...

Took the car out today. I think the spring feels very close. The motion from front to back remains 95% linear, maybe a very slight hint of the change in pressure transition you get with the stock spring. I drove around for an hour, second guessing any transition I thought I might be feeling, but in all cases it feels like the pedal without a spring. This spring definitely keeps the pedal at the top when at rest, no slop.

I'd be interested in the test results of a 20lb or 30lb spring.

For now, I am satisfied with this spring because it removes at least 95% of that odd pressure transition you get with the stock spring.

For $5 I might go get a second one, and cut a 1 to 1 1/2 coil out to have it match stock spring height, and see how it performs.

I did a local search for springs locally. I found this: http://www.tacomascrew.com/Products/Compression-Spings/Spring-74-Compression-Springs

I had thought it was a lighter spring (40lb) when I looked at the specs, but it turns out to be a 69lb. Today was the first day testing my car without a spring. I see why people like the feel. I like the feel. Weird, the clutch feels like a shorter travel without the spring. Btw, my slop was at a 1/4 as well. After installing this 69lb, the slop was gone. I have not test-driven yet, but I did sit and test the clutch. It's sweep from front to back is just about same constant velocity, and the clutch didn't feel much if any lighter. I'll give a better report tomorrow when I test drive it.

Fit was perfect btw. It is slightly taller by about 1/4, but compresses much easier so no problem there.

Spring was $5 after tax. Guy mentioned that they do ship, and shipping is about $4.

Sponsored

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
RoboBat show us a Canada amazon link. for a Spring i found that in US as well

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-72654-...s=Forney+72654+Wire+Spring+Compression+10-814

do you guys think is that fit for us? the max weight is 55 lbs on description.
That might work, at 1-3/8" it's a bit small but maybe could be stretched to fit.
Edited this post to clarify: the inside diameter of my factory spring is just under 1-1/4" (1.22" actual as shown in my picture in a post below) and it's the dimension that's more important than the outside diameter for our purpose

Last edited:

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Cliff notes? 39lb feels better or the 59lb?
I think someone would have to have very sensitive legs to notice that difference. Because of the leverage involved in this system, there is probably just a few pounds difference in pedal force between those two.

Some people, including myself, feel very little difference even with the factory spring installed. My spring is lighter than some, but still took all of my roughly 167 pounds to fully compress, though it's pounds/inch rating would be less than that.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That might work, at 1-3/8" it's a bit small but maybe could be stretched to fit.
You guys looking for a softer spring besides the ones that have already been found to work need to get a spring that is 1.25" inside diameter, and at least 2.25" long. It could be longer than 2.25" depending on the spring constant - just means more "pre-load", which would make it feel a little stiffer in use.

With the spring installed, I'm estimating the shortest it gets is about 1.60 ~ 1.75" long - someone might be able to measure this on the car. So based on the spring constant, pre-load and max compression, you can determine what the spring force would be when in use.

More info here: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=903023&postcount=21

Stock spring dimensions - uncompressed:
Clutch-Assist-Spring-2016-V6-Mustang.gif

Last edited:

jhann76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Does anyone who ordered some of these have any of the 60 lb springs left? I would like to buy one and pay for shipping if someone has one and is willing to ship it to AZ.

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
i may be ordering some soon. i'm not back in an S550 yet until a couple weeks from now. i may put in an order soon though so i have it before the car and this will be the first mod...lol i think im order 2 39# and the rest 59# and try both.

Sponsored

marrero412002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOEY
Vehicle(s)
15 INGOT MUSTANG GT PP
i may be ordering some soon. i'm not back in an S550 yet until a couple weeks from now. i may put in an order soon though so i have it before the car and this will be the first mod...lol i think im order 2 39# and the rest 59# and try both.
Let me know willing to buy one

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

seanboltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Just another follow up.

Had the 40lb spring out for a couple days. Was planning to cut a coil, or over try swapping in a lesser spring. both those attempts failed, so last night I put the 40lb back in. Driving it, it seems like a good spring rate to target. I am still interested in the 20lb spring if someone can send me one for payment.

Odd, the 40lb spring makes the clutch feel heavier than with no spring, which may go against the physics outlines in this thread. I noticed it the first time I swapped it in, and then again yesterday. I like the heavier feel personally. Just a smidge more than no-spring. That and pedal does full return to top, if that is even an issue.

Anyone using a 20lb? I'd like to hear about it's feel, pedal return, and fitment. Thanks.

To follow up on my post last night...

Took the car out today. I think the spring feels very close. The motion from front to back remains 95% linear, maybe a very slight hint of the change in pressure transition you get with the stock spring. I drove around for an hour, second guessing any transition I thought I might be feeling, but in all cases it feels like the pedal without a spring. This spring definitely keeps the pedal at the top when at rest, no slop.

I'd be interested in the test results of a 20lb or 30lb spring.

For now, I am satisfied with this spring because it removes at least 95% of that odd pressure transition you get with the stock spring.

For $5 I might go get a second one, and cut a 1 to 1 1/2 coil out to have it match stock spring height, and see how it performs.