Sponsored

Project "quiet car"

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
I was wondering how much better "quiet" tires would be. I probably wouldn't mess with it unless there was potential for 5 dB improvement
Sponsored

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
The road noise is all tires/road surface (and the fact that it has a much tighter suspension than a Lexus). I-20 where I live has some older rough pavement that is ridiculously loud. The new section that they just paved is Mercedes S class quiet. Pretty amazing difference. I had the same problem in my Civic where switching from Conti pro contacts to Michelin touring dropped it 1dB. Putting insulation in dropped it by another 1dB. Noticeable but not amazing.
Columbia?

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Columbia?
No, west of Atl before the AL state line. But I've heard that SC has some terrible roads, too! They are in process of paving sections from Atl west and the new pavement is amazingly quiet- until the trucks destroy it.

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I'm disappointed. I thought someone had swapped out Teslas internals into a Mustang. :(

Sponsored

Dramad1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Blk
Rammatt is cheaper than dyna mat and way better imo. I've seen some pics of a few s550's with sound deadening around the axle tunnel, shifter area by trans and around and near the rear craddle.

I sound deadend my last truck after doing a major audio install. What a huge difference it made, with the doors shut and windows up, you couldn't hear anything outside. In addition to sound deadening I also used ensolite for some sound dampening as well. Purchased everything from rammatt.com.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
hardly hear any road noise anymore after doing custom audio :)

partyelmarty

What's it trap?
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Magnetic Metallic
Don't expect Mercedes cabin volume from a Mustang OP. Lol are you kidding me? Don't drive a sport/muscle car if you can't handle a little bit of NVH.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Don't expect Mercedes cabin volume from a Mustang OP. Lol are you kidding me? Don't drive a sport/muscle car if you can't handle a little bit of NVH.
I don't think he is expecting a Mercedes level of quiet, just wants to reduce some exterior noise. Nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I don't know I always felt like this car was already really quiet and refined. No, not Lexus levels but that is to be expected. I have tried dynamat on some other cars before, imports with zero sound deadening, and after all the work and expense I was pretty disappointed in the results. I would seriously doubt you will make much of a change in this car which is already pretty well insulated.

The exhaust and the tires and suspension will make the most noise. The stock exhaust is already pretty quiet but I am betting a custom shop can get you something even more muffled. And you can find some quiet touring tires but they wont have the grip of performance tires. Not much you can do about the suspension but the sound tube delete should help some too. Possibly lining the trunk will help too. I dont think I would go crazy gutting the interior, except to fix the rattles. They drive me crazy too, so I feel for you. So far I've been lucky but I am dreading when I get my first one.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Buys aftermarket exhaust.

Wants to reduce exhaust noise.

Seriously...?

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If lining the trunk with dynamat will help with drone, I may have to look into that.

American

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GT / 17 GT350
^It won't.

I went into this with my 2007 because of the Borla drone, Shaker 1000 rattles, and generic road noise.

It helped a lot with the bass rattles, but road noise not so much. Drone? Almost not at all. I put about $300 worth of vibration dampener and sound deadening mat into the car.

Now all I can think about is "why did I make my car heavier... I'm going to rip all this out one day"

The only thing I would recommend is some vibration dampener if you have a subwoofer setup and things are rattling.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
"I want a quiet Mustang" said no one ever. Except OP.
Sponsored