Sponsored

Sound tube - what exactly am I supposed to hear?

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Is it just quieter? How is it different/better?

Just as others have mentioned, I think it is a cleaner, less cluttered sound. You notice the engine, exhaust, radio, etc... more.

The easy way to test this is to pull the tube from the intake and cap both ends. i.e. Duck tape the tube (to keep dirt and stuff out while disconnected), and the intake side. You can start the car and hear the difference. If you need or want to put it back, remove the tape and reconnect the sound tube or buy the sound tube delete kit for $10 to $20. :)
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just as others have mentioned, I think it is a cleaner, less cluttered sound. You notice the engine, exhaust, radio, etc... more.

The easy way to test this is to pull the tube from the intake and cap both ends. i.e. Duck tape the tube (to keep dirt and stuff out while disconnected), and the intake side. You can start the car and hear the difference. If you need or want to put it back, remove the tape and reconnect the sound tube or buy the sound tube delete kit for $10 to $20. :)
Much cleaner and better way than tape (actually seals):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-Black-Rubber-Leg-Tips-4-per-Pack-49128/203661031

Those fit snugly over the intake port and over the end in front of the cone-shaped baffle. I've had this on my car for about 2.5 years (see 1st page of my build thread).

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
You don't need a valve. Cut the tube and plug both ends. Return to stock with a double-ended barb fitting. I can't see switching back & forth with something as obnoxious as this.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
You don't need a valve. Cut the tube and plug both ends. Return to stock with a double-ended barb fitting. I can't see switching back & forth with something as obnoxious as this.
"obnoxious"?

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
With your windows up, talking on a cellphone / bluetooth will be better with the sound tube removed. When you want to hear noise & you're not on the phone, roll down your windows and enjoy your exhaust.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Remember when you were a kid, and you had a playing card hitting the spokes of your bicycle?

Same idea.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
As an experiment left mine in place but just capped it at the intake. I used one of those 1" Home Depot furniture leg caps.

It quiets down the interior and and actually clarifies the exhaust sound. I was surprised by the difference it made. I think it makes the car feel more refined.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
As an experiment left mine in place but just capped it at the intake. I used one of those 1" Home Depot furniture leg caps.

It quiets down the interior and and actually clarifies the exhaust sound. I was surprised by the difference it made. I think it makes the car feel more refined.
I have stock exhaust from 2016. They say it's quieter than the newer models. I'm curious about the difference. I like the way it sounds now because I can hear the motor but I don't know any better. I think i'm gonna try that valve thingy before I take it out. I like that my car is quiet on the road and I can punch it and most people don't know that. Your signature says you active exhaust so I'm guessing you can make it loud and quiet. I can't but I want/need to hear the motor. It's how I shift with my manual transmission.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Yes, I didn't think I'd like active exhaust so much. Beyond the 4 settings it also works dynamically with throttle and load.

I don't think there is a way to make it so quiet that you'd miss a shift.

My initial thought was I felt like I heard the exhaust more than the car sounded quieter if that makes any sense.

I think the tube is there to make you feel the car is powerful on the first test drive.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Intake sounds are almost as beautiful as exhaust sounds. I like it!

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
All I heard is it hitting the bottom of the trash can when I removed it.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Some people say it pumps sound into the cabin. I disagree, i think it uses the intake vacuum to pull air from the cabin thru the round drum device that gives that gargle sound of old V8s. I prefer less noise.
Sponsored