Sponsored

Rebound recovery question

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I have a 2015 EB with PP. I'm not looking to lower the car, and PP springs seems to be up to task for DD duty with lightweight wheels and rotors, along with BMR cradle lockout kit, VLs, and Steeda STB. My only complaint is that rebound recovery on turns (e.g. hitting bridge expansion joints on highway) takes longer than I'd like.

Will upgraded dampers improve rebound recovery with PP springs? Will I be better off going with minimal drop springs? Or should I look somewhere else first?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2015 EB with PP. I'm not looking to lower the car, and PP springs seems to be up to task for DD duty with lightweight wheels and rotors, along with BMR cradle lockout kit, VLs, and Steeda STB. My only complaint is that rebound recovery on turns (e.g. hitting bridge expansion joints on highway) takes longer than I'd like.

Will upgraded dampers improve rebound recovery with PP springs? Will I be better off going with minimal drop springs? Or should I look somewhere else first?
Yes upgraded dampers will definitely help significantly. The billet shock mounts also help the shocks work better to control the motion of the body as the suspension is not being bound up/added spring rate by the stock top mount.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
PP dampers are not good, bottom line. Steeda fixed pro-actions are a great affordable route to improve the ride; while you do the install, yes, consider some minimum drop springs to level the ride height while you’re getting your hands dirty anyhow.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Yes upgraded dampers will definitely help significantly. The billet shock mounts also help the shocks work better to control the motion of the body as the suspension is not being bound up/added spring rate by the stock top mount.
Thanks! Which dampers do you recommend? And I assume Steeda rear billet mounts will do the trick?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Which dampers do you recommend? And I assume Steeda rear billet mounts will do the trick?
With stock springs, the Steeda fixed Pro Actions are a good match. Ford Racing's track dampers are excellent as well, and would give you some room to go up in spring rate a bit if you wanted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
PP dampers are not good, bottom line. Steeda fixed pro-actions are a great affordable route to improve the ride; while you do the install, yes, consider some minimum drop springs to level the ride height while you’re getting your hands dirty anyhow.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take it as a sign that Steeda happens to be having a sale this weekend! Did you put the rear springs in yourself? Seems like it'll be a major PITA.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip. I'll take it as a sign that Steeda happens to be having a sale this weekend! Did you put the rear springs in yourself? Seems like it'll be a major PITA.
Yes, I did the springs myself. The fronts are more difficult and time consuming as you’ll need a spring compressor to execute. But...they are nothing to be intimidated by. The rears are pretty easy so long as you loosen the subframe and move the 8” bracket aside (you’ll know what I’m talking about once you get in there).

Use the CJPP’s install videos as a guide. 5 hours, or less, and you’ll be in business. Just be sure to get an alignment once you’re done. It’s all worth it in the end. :cheers:

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen! I ended up ordering front/rear pro-action dampers, rear mounts, and K-member brace.

[MENTION=27886]Roadway 5.0[/MENTION], I'll try the dampers first before looking at the spring upgrade. I just read your Ultralite Springs review and may end up going that route, since I mostly drive on smooth highways. I hope Steeda's giving you commission for your excellent reviews!

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Great upgrades! You are going to love the improvements you feel. The top shock nut can be tricky without the right tool; look into grabbing one of these if you don't have one already:

21mm Strut Nut Socket

And thanks for the props on my reviews...it's fun to help others find there way to more speed. :headbang:

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Great upgrades! You are going to love the improvements you feel. The top shock nut can be tricky without the right tool; look into grabbing one of these if you don't have one already:

21mm Strut Nut Socket
Ordered the socket along with a spring compressor similar to what was used in the install video, since I may be taking the spring off more than once and want to make it as easy as possible.

And thanks for the props on my reviews...it's fun to help others find there way to more speed. :headbang:
No, no, no, thank you, kind sir. I was all about power mods until my car was starting to become like one of those Mustangs in Cars and Coffee fail videos. Learned a lot about handling and traction by reading educational posts from folks like you.

Sponsored

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Rebound recovery... what the heck is that?

OP, you realize that one of the main goals is to control the expansion of the spring? That is rebound dampening and control.

Are you referring to "jacking" where each successive bump cause the the damper to compress further and further before it is allowed to fully extend back to its maximum operating length?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If I were you, I’d get BMR SP783s (minimal drop) and either Steeda fixed pro actions or FRPP dampers. It should be pretty smooth and you’ll get much better handling. That along with cradle lockout and possibly sway bars- that’d be a very nice setup.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Rebound recovery... what the heck is that?

OP, you realize that one of the main goals is to control the expansion of the spring? That is rebound dampening and control.

Are you referring to "jacking" where each successive bump cause the the damper to compress further and further before it is allowed to fully extend back to its maximum operating length?
I'm not sure what the technical term would be, but I'm trying to control the bounce when I hit a bridge expansion joint at around 75 MPH. It feels like I have worn out dampers at that speed.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
If I were you, I’d get BMR SP783s (minimal drop) and either Steeda fixed pro actions or FRPP dampers. It should be pretty smooth and you’ll get much better handling. That along with cradle lockout and possibly sway bars- that’d be a very nice setup.
I ordered the fixed pro actions to see how it feels on stock PP springs. Stock springs and sway bars seems to be keeping the car fairly level at the speed I usually take turns at.

If it feels likes I need better springs after damper and rear mount upgrade, I'll measure the clearance of speed bumps at my work to see if I should go with minimum drop springs or have room for something else.

I already have the BMR cradle lockout kit and VLs, and they made a quite difference. Only complaint I have now is the bounciness when hitting bridge expansion joints at highway speeds, thus leading me to looking at damper upgrades.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I ordered the fixed pro actions to see how it feels on stock PP springs. Stock springs and sway bars seems to be keeping the car fairly level at the speed I usually take turns at.

If it feels likes I need better springs after damper and rear mount upgrade, I'll measure the clearance of speed bumps at my work to see if I should go with minimum drop springs or have room for something else.

I already have the BMR cradle lockout kit and VLs, and they made a quite difference. Only complaint I have now is the bounciness when hitting bridge expansion joints at highway speeds, thus leading me to looking at damper upgrades.
Keep us posted on your findings. Also,the Steeda fixed Pro-Actions work well with the Steeda Minimum Drop springs.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored