Recaros vs Non-Recaros

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Driven with both. The sofa seats are comfy (not alcantara, though... more like a high quality miko suede). The only leather bit is where the "GT 350" logo is stamped. The bolster area wears very fast. I had my dealership photograph the wear I encountered within a few weeks of ownership. Very dissappointed. You can see photos of the wear on both seats in a current ebay ad for a black 2016 Tech Pack GT 350, BO of $52,750 (chassis G3517) in Boulder, CO. The cooling function was awesome. The Recaros are very supportive but uncomfortable beyond 4 hours of constant use for my 6'4", 230# frame.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The heating works well in the convenience package seats. The cooling also works great in the base, but the seat back doesn't do the greatest job of cooling. It is really nice to have though - you know how on a longer trip seats tend to feel too hot, even on a cold day. I also really like the adjustable lumbar support. Some days I want more or less and it's easy to change.

The Recaros are good for track if you have a harness, but the convenience seats actually hold me in place very well with a harness, too. IMO a good harness does more to hold you in position on the track than either seat does. It's going to depend on your size and body type, though. I'm 6'4" 240 and both seat designs are narrower than I would prefer.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hmm..probably suggest the convenience package seats then. IMHO, the Recaros are the better choice when you are canyon driving OR want to use a 4pt harness. If you get serious about tracking, a competition seat should go in regardless if you have Recaros or the leather seats.

I felt the leather seats are more comfortable for cruising and the cooling functionality is great for windows down in the summer. They're plenty supportive for every day things.

FWIW, I didn't feel the Recaros were that much more supportive with a standard 3pt belt on track. Both will allow you to get flung around the car.
+1

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
Damn. You guys aren’t making this any easier. I love it.
Availability, or lack thereof, might make this decision for you. A convenience package GT350 is tough to find, especially if you're looking for a specific color or two.

Either way, good luck in your search.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Recaro's all the way. I love the supportive sides and bolsters... Much more so than convenience seats.

But if you're a big guy you won't appreciate them as they can get tight. Depends from person to person in my opinion.

Sponsored

texrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Conv. pkg. seats are excellent if you use it as a daily driver/cruiser. One of the decision points was comfort for my wife and getting in/out.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
IMO... I prefer the Recaros. I have a medium frame (5'9" @180) and I'm totally comfortable in them, as is my girlfriend. The milko suede is pretty easy to clean and maintain vs. Leather but depending on how much you like detailing your car that may be a non-issue. These new Recaros are a longshot better than the ones I had in my 2015 GT premium, as those were extremely hard, especially in the back/headrest area and really lacked the bolsters to be effective as "performance seats". My mindset when I bought my 2017 GT350 was that if I was going to spend 60 racks on a performance car, I wanted it to look the part, inside and out. I did try out the Convenience seats at my local dealer and honestly they reminded me too much of the seats in my $18,000 Altima for me to even consider them. I do agree they are nice looking seats, and the convenience of power and heat/cool is a nice touch, but ultimately you will end up with practically; if not exactly, the same seats as someone who bought a Ecoboost or GT mustang. As a note, the passenger seat in my 2017 350 is slightly wider than the driver's side so it makes it a little easier to get in and out of. In terms of comfort, I can drive for 8 hours at a time and be fine in the Recaros, but I'm also in my early 20's so I'm still pretty resilient when it comes to sitting in a car for long period of time lol.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I would say go with the Recaros because it rouds the car off nicely as a performance/track car.

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
IMO... I prefer the Recaros. I have a medium frame (5'9" @180) and I'm totally comfortable in them, as is my girlfriend. The milko suede is pretty easy to clean and maintain vs. Leather but depending on how much you like detailing your car that may be a non-issue. These new Recaros are a longshot better than the ones I had in my 2015 GT premium, as those were extremely hard, especially in the back/headrest area and really lacked the bolsters to be effective as "performance seats". My mindset when I bought my 2017 GT350 was that if I was going to spend 60 racks on a performance car, I wanted it to look the part, inside and out. I did try out the Convenience seats at my local dealer and honestly they reminded me too much of the seats in my $18,000 Altima for me to even consider them. I do agree they are nice looking seats, and the convenience of power and heat/cool is a nice touch, but ultimately you will end up with practically; if not exactly, the same seats as someone who bought a Ecoboost or GT mustang. As a note, the passenger seat in my 2017 350 is slightly wider than the driver's side so it makes it a little easier to get in and out of. In terms of comfort, I can drive for 8 hours at a time and be fine in the Recaros, but I'm also in my early 20's so I'm still pretty resilient when it comes to sitting in a car for long period of time lol.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I would say go with the Recaros because it rouds the car off nicely as a performance/track car.
Agreed! The Recaros in this car are nice! I'm 510, 210, and they fit me well with no issues with comfort.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Find a Carmax or dealer car to sit in for a extended time, helps the decision.
It is easier to get sofa seats and if you need them, pick up some used Recaros or other track seats to switch out than the other way around.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Find a Carmax or dealer car to sit in for a extended time, helps the decision.
It is easier to get sofa seats and if you need them, pick up some used Recaros or other track seats to switch out than the other way around.
Yeah, except people are price gouging the crap out of the Recaros so you're looking at 3K minimum even for a used set... New from ford they're closer to 4K. And god help you if you think you're going to get a set out of an R, because those are over 6K used; if you can even find them. I think you'd be better off to start with the Recaros because you're way more likely to be able to sell/trade them to another owner with "sofa seats" as you call them lol.

I don't know what area you're from Zcobra1, but a solid 90% of the cars I found on the east coast; especially in the New England area have the Recaros. I find it kind of interesting that some areas have such a high concentration of one or the other. In my state, there was only one dealer in the whole state that had a convenience package 350, they were all base and electronics package.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, except people are price gouging the crap out of the Recaros so you're looking at 3K minimum even for a used set... New from ford they're closer to 4K. And god help you if you think you're going to get a set out of an R, because those are over 6K used; if you can even find them. I think you'd be better off to start with the Recaros because you're way more likely to be able to sell/trade them to another owner with "sofa seats" as you call them lol.

I don't know what area you're from Zcobra1, but a solid 90% of the cars I found on the east coast; especially in the New England area have the Recaros. I find it kind of interesting that some areas have such a high concentration of one or the other. In my state, there was only one dealer in the whole state that had a convenience package 350, they were all base and electronics package.
It's a better deal to buy aftermarket custom fixed back seats if you want something for track days. Any Ford seat tends to be very expensive, and the Recaros really aren't much better than the convenience seats at the track.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
It's a better deal to buy aftermarket custom fixed back seats if you want something for track days. Any Ford seat tends to be very expensive, and the Recaros really aren't much better than the convenience seats at the track.
I disagree. I think the Recaros are heavily bolstered and this helps greatly on the track. 6'4" 250 here. Only vehicle I have EVER driven where no part of my right leg/knee/whatever does not touch the console or dash...and I dont feel like I need to brace my left leg against the door. In my previous mustangs this was not the case. These seats keep me exactly where I want to be. :headbang:

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I disagree. I think the Recaros are heavily bolstered and this helps greatly on the track. 6'4" 250 here. Only vehicle I have EVER driven where no part of my right leg/knee/whatever does not touch the console or dash...and I dont feel like I need to brace my left leg against the door. In my previous mustangs this was not the case. These seats keep me exactly where I want to be. :headbang:
I had a different experience at the Track Attack when I drove a GT350 with Recaros. They worked fine if I cinched the harness super tight, but with it only moderately tight I had to use my arms and legs to hold myself in position. I can use a harness with my convenience seats and with the harness tight enough I'm held in place similar to the Recaros. The Recaros are probably good for street driving and 80% cornering, but IMO they aren't supportive enough and the bolsters aren't deep enough for the track. IMO it's better to go with an aftermarket custom seat for the road course.

I'm about 6'4" and 240.

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I liked both seats but I felt that the Recaro's fit the character of the car better. It just seems right when you open the door. Sounds dumb, I know, just a preference thing.

I've had a few long road trips and while I do admit that the convenience package seats would have been nice, the Recaro's were still satisfactory. I'm thin, 6' 165 lbs so that probably has something to do with it.
Sponsored