Sponsored

Battery Management System Reset

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I need to find a way to reset the battery management system on my car hopefully without having to fork over a ton of cash to the dealer to do the silly thing if they even have the ability to do it in the first place. For whatever reason Ford made it extremely hard to reset the BMS which if you get stuck in the low power mode like myself there is no way to get out of it.

I read on another forum that on the Escape I think you can press a serious of buttons to reset it, I think like the hazard 10 times and something else, off and back on again. Pressing the hazard six times or so makes the cluster saying something about a tire from what I have seen so far playing around with it. I think its very possible there is a combination that could reset the BMS.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Interesting...sub'd

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I think ForScan has this option, but I am not sure. I found some other option, but this does not work with the US version of the Mustang (no rear fog light).

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yeah that's the same I had seen. Pressing the hazard six times puts into a TPMS relearn on the Mustang. So I am guessing there is a combination for a BMS reset if you can do that combo for the TPMS relearn. A lot of the stuff is 1-2+ years old so idk if they updated the scan program to allow for the BMS to reset.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Can you enlighten us on this? Not sure what the issue is or what the system does.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
[ame]

I have seen this 8 hour reset thing around. I wonder if it is the ngauge being plugged in that is making the system read that these is a drain. Basically my OEM battery was dying this winter and I got it replaced. After that it was in low power mode for a month and then it went away. When I got my headers put on the car went back into low power mode and has been in it ever since (3 months or so).

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Can you enlighten us on this? Not sure what the issue is or what the system does.
The battery management system? It tries to extend the life of the battery of something along those lines. It will shut stuff down if the car is not running so the battery doesn't drop below a certain point. The alternator charges it at different levels as well as it sees fit. The problem is the system seems to be funky as per the tons of threads about the system on many different forums. It seems that dealers do not know that system is there and do not reset it and some cars are not resetting on their own. It is not the biggest deal in the world but its super annoying as sometimes the radio wont come on for a while which includes the back up camera not working. If you tune its impossible if the car is not running because the car will just shut off after a few seconds.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

I have seen this 8 hour reset thing around. I wonder if it is the ngauge being plugged in that is making the system read that these is a drain. Basically my OEM battery was dying this winter and I got it replaced. After that it was in low power mode for a month and then it went away. When I got my headers put on the car went back into low power mode and has been in it ever since (3 months or so).
How do you tell it's in low power mode ?

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Read my Service Charging System thread a few threads down...maybe related...kind of.

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
How do you tell it's in low power mode ?
On the screen it will say power off to save battery the gauge cluster will also say it as well. If you turn the power on but not the car it will shut back off after a few seconds including the radio, lights, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Read my Service Charging System thread a few threads down...maybe related...kind of.
I remember that thread when you made it. I haven't had any charging issue or anything like that thankfully. I unplugged my ngauge so maybe that was the cause if not I might have to take it in to the scammership and try to teach them how to reset the BMS. Wish to god I had those devices because it is so easy to do yourself. They couldn't find a bad wheel bearing which has an entire wheel wobbling so I do not have high hopes.

EcoBoostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 3 cars now that have a similar thing... I live in FL and batteries don't last more than 3-5 years in our heat anyway. One of more annoying features of newer vehicles in my opinion...

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I have had 3 cars now that have a similar thing... I live in FL and batteries don't last more than 3-5 years in our heat anyway. One of more annoying features of newer vehicles in my opinion...
Yeah it wouldn’t be so bad if you could just reset the damn thing easily. Though if there is something wrong it’s going to be a nightmare to fix without the dealer. I just got a flex fuel tune but the car doesn’t stay on for more than 10 seconds so I have to figure out a way to stop this.

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I remember that thread when you made it. I haven't had any charging issue or anything like that thankfully. I unplugged my ngauge so maybe that was the cause if not I might have to take it in to the scammership and try to teach them how to reset the BMS. Wish to god I had those devices because it is so easy to do yourself. They couldn't find a bad wheel bearing which has an entire wheel wobbling so I do not have high hopes.
Yea, I guess i didn't mention in that thread. I also started getting the Power off to save battery message on my SYNC3 screen sometimes. My guess is there's a specific battery charge level that triggers that message.

When I was getting that message i used forscan and my obd dongle to check the battery modules and the Battery State of Charge monitor always only showed in the 40's as far as percentage of battery charged. Maybe you can do the same and see what charge level your battery is reporting that it has?

OP
OP
thehunterooo

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Yea, I guess i didn't mention in that thread. I also started getting the Power off to save battery message on my SYNC3 screen sometimes. My guess is there's a specific battery charge level that triggers that message.

When I was getting that message i used forscan and my obd dongle to check the battery modules and the Battery State of Charge monitor always only showed in the 40's as far as percentage of battery charged. Maybe you can do the same and see what charge level your battery is reporting that it has?
Yeah I’ll have to check it out. Seems like the newer threads on BMS have has some success using forscan. Everything was fine until my OEM battery was dying and upset the BMS. I’m cranking up every time without issue but it might think the battery only has a certain capacity I hope it’s not a bigger issue with the system.
Sponsored