Sponsored

How bad did ford Sandbag the Ecoboost?

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
No one has mentioned the biggest advantage for the EcoBoost: efficiency. Getting 30 miles per gallon with a 300 horsepower engine is a fantastic engineering accomplishment. I could not use this car as a daily driver without that efficiency.
Ain't that the truth. I did a 500 Mile trip refilling only once with a FP tune. The A10s should be better now with a flatter torque curve keeping the power band wide without over revs.
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So what are you going to do with yer ecobopst any way other than drive it to work ?:ninja:
Nyuck nycuk. :)

I guess what I meant is the Mustang wouldn't even have made the short list of possibilities for a daily driver if not for the efficiency. I don't have the time (yet) to do anything with my car other than drive it to work and for the occasional errand, but I'm glad when I do that I'm driving the most stylish production car available, and it's not a complete doggy when I want to have a bit of fun.

In other words, it's way cooler than a Honda Accord.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
LOL, I wish I got even close to 30MPG. I do about 50/50% and usually average around 22.

Potentially coincidental but after going VTA and removing my AGS for my FMIC I definitely noticed a drop in MPG, as even on the highway I don't manage 30mpg anymore where I did when I first bought it. Also now swapping to my winter setup, even more so as I know the tires will definitely pull MPG down.

My calculations have me around 22 most weeks, and my in car computer shows 19.8MPG average.

Edit: Also a question for you guys. If you guys let it get really low on the estimated range left, does it seem way off for you guys? If I refill on E, and my computer shows 10-15 miles left, It stops at like 12 gallons. IIRC we 15-16 gallon tanks. That seems like a massive reserve...

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
[MENTION=26348]Spykexx[/MENTION] Question: why going VTA would reduce mpg? I also vent to atmosphere during the last couple of months, but I don’t think I ‘ve noticed any drop in mpg :shrug:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=26348]Spykexx[/MENTION] Question: why going VTA would reduce mpg? I also vent to atmosphere during the last couple of months, but I don’t think I ‘ve noticed any drop in mpg :shrug:
:shrug: Dunno, that's why I said potentially coincidental haha. I remember reading long ago that it causes it to burn rich due to the expected incoming air from the intake, but that air is missing. I would guess the drop is probably more attributed to the removal of the AGS than the VTA. Those two items just happened to be done at the same time, that's why I added it in there.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

LOL, I wish I got even close to 30MPG. I do about 50/50% and usually average around 22.

Potentially coincidental but after going VTA and removing my AGS for my FMIC I definitely noticed a drop in MPG, as even on the highway I don't manage 30mpg anymore where I did when I first bought it. Also now swapping to my winter setup, even more so as I know the tires will definitely pull MPG down.

My calculations have me around 22 most weeks, and my in car computer shows 19.8MPG average.

Edit: Also a question for you guys. If you guys let it get really low on the estimated range left, does it seem way off for you guys? If I refill on E, and my computer shows 10-15 miles left, It stops at like 12 gallons. IIRC we 15-16 gallon tanks. That seems like a massive reserve...

You aren't alone. I still have my AGS, but I'm VTA at the moment and the car seems to be less fuel efficient. I'd say around a 2 mpg drop. Although properly inflated tires when cold temperatures come around are a must for fuel efficiency as well.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I traded a mechanically stock 2015 EB purchased November 2014. Over the course of 3 years with a mix of city and highway, I averaged ~22MPG. I don't have a lead foot, but I also don't drive super conservatively. On the few longer trips I took with almost exclusively highway driving I averaged almost, but not quiet, 30MPG.

And, to chime on the tank size, if I filled up when the car first warned me it was empty, it'd take ~14 gallons.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
:shrug: Dunno, that's why I said potentially coincidental haha. I remember reading long ago that it causes it to burn rich due to the expected incoming air from the intake, but that air is missing. I would guess the drop is probably more attributed to the removal of the AGS than the VTA. Those two items just happened to be done at the same time, that's why I added it in there.
I would agree the AGS has far more to do with it than the VTA. The aerodynamic drag through the heat exchangers is significant at speeds above 50 mph.

Driving technique, mode, time, temps, etc. all will affect mileage. Winter will see lower numbers because the engine runs rich until warm, and that takes longer in the winter. I have a 35-40 minute commute, and I'm on the highway within about 3 minutes at both ends. I set the cruise for 72 and leave it there. I routinely see 32 mpg in the summer and 28 in the winter, so that averages to around 30 year round. One or two errand runs per week around town will drop another couple MPGs.

My car is bone stock, and I drive it very conservatively when it's cold (no acceleration below 2000 RPM, and no boost, period). There really isn't much opportunity to play during the commute after the engine's warm, so I'm probably getting the best possible efficiency out of the car. I might get a bit better by slowing to 60-65, but I'm willing to give up that last mile or two per gallon so as to provide the more impatient commuters a bit more reaction time when they run up on my bumper. :eyebulge:

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would agree the AGS has far more to do with it than the VTA. The aerodynamic drag through the heat exchangers is significant at speeds above 50 mph.

Driving technique, mode, time, temps, etc. all will affect mileage. Winter will see lower numbers because the engine runs rich until warm, and that takes longer in the winter. I have a 35-40 minute commute, and I'm on the highway within about 3 minutes at both ends. I set the cruise for 72 and leave it there. I routinely see 32 mpg in the summer and 28 in the winter, so that averages to around 30 year round. One or two errand runs per week around town will drop another couple MPGs.

My car is bone stock, and I drive it very conservatively when it's cold (no acceleration below 2000 RPM, and no boost, period). There really isn't much opportunity to play during the commute after the engine's warm, so I'm probably getting the best possible efficiency out of the car. I might get a bit better by slowing to 60-65, but I'm willing to give up that last mile or two per gallon so as to provide the more impatient commuters a bit more reaction time when they run up on my bumper. :eyebulge:
I drive fairly normal as well, and at least half of my driving is on the highway. My in car real time MPG shows about 20~21 on the highway, and I drive conservatively in the city. Doing the math myself comes out to around 22. To be quite fair, from my experience and how little I actually drive her hard, I think the gas mileage is pretty crap TBH and a moot point when utilizing that as a pro/con for not buying a GT. (Albeit I never bought the EB because it was a gas saver vs the GT)

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You aren't alone. I still have my AGS, but I'm VTA at the moment and the car seems to be less fuel efficient. I'd say around a 2 mpg drop. Although properly inflated tires when cold temperatures come around are a must for fuel efficiency as well.
Least I'm not alone. IIRC I was closer to ~26-27 MPG before the VTA and AGS.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I drive fairly normal as well, and at least half of my driving is on the highway. My in car real time MPG shows about 20~21 on the highway, and I drive conservatively in the city. Doing the math myself comes out to around 22. To be quite fair, from my experience and how little I actually drive her hard, I think the gas mileage is pretty crap TBH and a moot point when utilizing that as a pro/con for not buying a GT. (Albeit I never bought the EB because it was a gas saver vs the GT)
Comparing one car to the next isn't really fair unless you use the same driving techniques and conditions. For example, I owned an Accord prior to my Mustang, and drove it for a few years under the same conditions. It would be fair to compare long-term mileage between those cars because it was the same driver under the same conditions.

Did you drive your previous car under the same conditions as your Mustang? If so, how does it compare?

My Mustang consistently gets 2 mpg less than the Accord. I'm willing to accept that for the vastly improved performance and style.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Comparing one car to the next isn't really fair unless you use the same driving techniques and conditions. For example, I owned an Accord prior to my Mustang, and drove it for a few years under the same conditions. It would be fair to compare long-term mileage between those cars because it was the same driver under the same conditions.

Did you drive your previous car under the same conditions as your Mustang? If so, how does it compare?

My Mustang consistently gets 2 mpg less than the Accord. I'm willing to accept that for the vastly improved performance and style.
Wait, huh? I wasn't comparing my car to another car lol.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Least I'm not alone. IIRC I was closer to ~26-27 MPG before the VTA and AGS.
What tires are on your car(size and brand) and at what psi?

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What tires are on your car(size and brand) and at what psi?
I've been through three sets. As stated, tires were as of most recent, and I seen a drop from them as well. Always kept at 32.

Stock @ 32
305/35/20 | 275/40/20 Nitto NT555 G2 @ 32
Current: Stock wheels 255/40/19 pirelli scorpion winters @ 32

Winters haven't been on for more than 2 weeks I believe, and shouldn't be too bad economy wise as they are a performance winter tire. Far better than my blizzaks were in that regard.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I've been through three sets. As stated, tires were as of most recent, and I seen a drop from them as well. Always kept at 32.

Stock @ 32
305/35/20 | 275/40/20 Nitto NT555 G2 @ 32
Current: Stock wheels 255/40/19 pirelli scorpion winters @ 32

Winters haven't been on for more than 2 weeks I believe, and shouldn't be too bad economy wise as they are a performance winter tire. Far better than my blizzaks were in that regard.
Dang man, that's a pretty wide summer tire. I could see mpg taking a plunge in the summer. I'm rocking 255/40/19s as well right now. Michelin PilotSport A/S3+. The Pirelli's got better mileage, but the Michelin's grip better. I'm trying to isolate what brought my mpg down. It's tough to do. Could be winter gas, new tires(higher rolling resistance), vta, or the car is about to take a dump :headbonk:
Sponsored