Sponsored

When to worry about fuel surge at the track?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Hi all,

I am at the half way point of a track meet (first one in the mustang GT) and I am wondering how low you can run the tank before worrying about fuel surge? I only have a 45 minute window to refuel tomorrow morning and after that refueling is banned for the rest of the event (it’s on a street circuit on public parklands, hence the restrictions).

Currently have 3/4 tank and I expect to be just under half a tank at the end of my last session. Do I need to refill?
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I would refuel. I would feel really stupid if the worry about app 25# of extra fuel,3/4 to full tank, ruined my day.

Peter

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it above 1/4 tank at all times, or else it can fuel starve on you.

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I was out at a track day yesterday and started experience fuel starvation with a little bit more than 1/4 tank. These cars chug gas on the track and from now on I'm going to make sure I always have at least half a tank. With a full tank, I got about 70 min of track time before it started surging. I didn't know to expect it otherwise I would've filled up again before I reached that point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
thanks all. Finished the event with about 1/3 in the tank and no surge issues to report. Man these cars are awesome on track!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno how you managed to do that. We had 4 cars at a circuit, all of them sufffered surge at anything below 3/4 tank...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Dunno how you managed to do that. We had 4 cars at a circuit, all of them sufffered surge at anything below 3/4 tank...
It really depends on the type of turn and how many Gs the car is pulling.

A stock car on stock tires in a slow circuit probably won't have fueling issues even at 1/4 tank. A highly modified car on slick tires running high speed oval/bank tracks and I bet you'll get fueling issues even at 3/4 tank.

So it's not a blanket statement on how much fuel is in the tank, there are alot more variables than that to consider.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on the type of turn and how many Gs the car is pulling.

A stock car on stock tires in a slow circuit probably won't have fueling issues even at 1/4 tank. A highly modified car on slick tires running high speed oval/bank tracks and I bet you'll get fueling issues even at 3/4 tank.

So it's not a blanket statement on how much fuel is in the tank, there are alot more variables than that to consider.
All that plus smoothness of driver inputs.

OP
OP
spiller

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Phillip Island? This was only a small section of the clipsal track. Only one higher speed corner which was fairly short.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Phillip Island? This was only a small section of the clipsal track. Only one higher speed corner which was fairly short.
Yup, PI. makes sense when you put it like that. :cheers:
Sponsored