Sponsored

FP short throw shifter

lana66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 1968 gt350
Anybody tried FP short throw shifter for the gt350 and the round shift ball?
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Most here who've changed went w the MGW...

Unrelated, any chance you could post a pic of your '68 and '16 together????

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Did just the shift ball absolutely love it!

Would buy a MGWin a hearbeat if they could make reverse work like stock not a fan of pushing down on the shifter. Just my 2 cents

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
George's push down mechanism is infinitely more robust. I can understand why some may like the pull up way but the hardware in the factory mechanism is poorly executed.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I prefer the pull up also. I also have zero issues with the shifter. Now I had a MGW in my 11 GT500 because it absolutely needed it. Not so much in the GT350.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eat Spam all your life and you never know how good steak is. There is no comparison between the factory shifter and the MGW unit. You won't realize how poor the factory mechanism is until you remove it and install something better. So if you like it I suggest never driving a GT350 (especially on-track) with one of George's designs in it.

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
Great discussion in the forum around the MGW short shifter (search "MGW"), not much on the FP one. I thought about the FP, but after reading the forum and doing some research I bought the MGW. More expensive but it's worth it.

I like how it's engineered, and I'm sure I will love how it works. Will be installing before track season starts :)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FRP GT350 "shifter" is a replacement stick/pivot which alters the geometry, some lube, and a different reverse collar (credit FRP for at least recognizing how poor the OEM composite tube/spring design is). That's it. You have to disassemble the factory shifter and then install these parts. So it isn't even an all new shifter. For $379 (retail). A pretty poor value.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-7210-M8A

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
George’s take on reverse engagement was a big reason for my MGW purchase. For me the pull up collar is an inelegant solution to reverse lockout especially with a ball shift knob. Just a personal preferred, but that’s what makes modifications fun, it’s such a personal thing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The FRP GT350 "shifter" is a replacement stick/pivot which alters the geometry, some lube, and a different reverse collar (credit FRP for at least recognizing how poor the OEM composite tube/spring design is). That's it. You have to disassemble the factory shifter and then install these parts. So it isn't even an all new shifter. For $379 (retail). A pretty poor value.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-7210-M8A
Are you really George or do you own part of MGW? :D

Sponsored

Relak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 - Oxford White
I've had both the FP short throw and the MGW shifter and can tell you that the FP shifter is a waste of money. I had mine installed by Ford and they couldn't get this incessant metal rattle to go away so I ended up swapping out for the mgw. The FP shifter is a metal on metal connection where as there was a plastic cylinder on the original shifter. This makes for a perfect noise maker that can't be fixed. Ford ended up buying back my FP shifter.

The price difference is also a moot point because the FP is more labor intensive than the MGW. You pay less for the shifter but more for the install which is the reverse for the MGW, but they end up being around the same price after all is said and done.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the pull up also. I also have zero issues with the shifter. Now I had a MGW in my 11 GT500 because it absolutely needed it. Not so much in the GT350.
I second this

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you really George or do you own part of MGW? :D
If he's sell stock in the company I'd own it in a heartbeat. I've asked too.

He's driven to manufacture excellence. An example...we had a lot of back and forth on the subject of a GT350 shifter. He had a TR3160 sent to me to fabricate a stand for it and along with it, he wanted to be sure to incorporate the ~13lbs of damper mass that is bolted to the rear of the transmission and crossmember. The shifter itself ended up being a unique design as the shifter output shaft rotates opposite that of the MT82 (for example). After the first run he further refined it (all after a number of revisions when prototyping) to where it is now. He stays on top of any production anomalies or changes as he installs quite a bit of them at his manufacturing facility. Anyway, we both had an opportunity to study a pre-production 2018 Mustang GT on its side this past summer and noticed something. Ford is now adding weight/mass to the rear of the transmission on the GT which says something about driveline NVH and the fact that it isn't exclusive to the GT350.

Fast forward to today and George messages me about a shifter install on an '18 GT and mentioned there may dimensional changes either with the transmission case or where the rear trans/body mount is. By the time I talked to him on the phone about it he had already ordered a 2018 Mustang GT MT-82 for further study. He absolutely stays ahead of the game where others don't. Ever see a Hurst shifter in a 2015-2018 GT350?

For anyone interested in the NVH portion of my post, here's a few shots to make clearer what I'm referring to. To help tame the FPC every GT350 has, two weights tie into a bracket that is attached through the transmission mount. Thirteen pounds is interesting given the attempts to reduce heft elsewhere.

A side view of a TR3160 on a stand shows how the bracket/weights are mounted...

_TR3160%20on%20stand.jpg

From underneath my own GT350...

And from underneath the '18 Mustang GT. Previous Coyote/MT82 cars didn't use any dampers here.

Interesting that the car now uses them whereas it hadn't previously. Only one weight is used and without any bracket.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Those cap screws (and washers) securing the trans mount are not factory (as I recall) - what gives?
Sponsored