Sponsored

Mustang Automatic sport mode

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
Hi guys is it safe to drive in sport mode all the time? I notice the car revs a lot higher and is generally more fun to drive. It feels like a manual in how it is jerky. The question is is it designed to be used like the regular mode all the time?

Anyone?

Thanks
Sponsored

sed6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
It's definately safe. The only thing that might get hurt is your MPG's, but you didn't buy it for that :) Personally I did buy it for the MPG's (vs my '13 GT 6spd) and the smoother, less jerky ride therefore I personally leave it in D 95% of the time. I reserve Sport or Sport+ (and occasionally Track) for those occasional drives when I'm feeling frisky. Besides the better MPG's and smoothness I already mentioned from being in D all the time it offers me a treat in that I'm not already numb to the improved power and handling that come with S and S+ so those occasional jaunts are just that much more fun!

Last edited:

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I have been driving daily in sport and track mode for 3 years with no problems. I only use normal mode in the rain or snow. I've never used snow mode.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Has anyone tried setting off in second? The e-source book says it is possible.
Yes. S shifter position. Toggle downshift paddle to be sure trans is in manual first and then toggle upshift paddle to select second. Note that if you let the car move forward slightly before setting off the trans is likely to shift back to first.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I usually keep mine in sport + when I know I'm going to want to have a little fun on normal driving situations. I usually pull it back into sport when I am pulling out into a road or something so I can give it some power if needed then toss it back into D. Track when I plan on staying on turns, etc. etc. But to answer your question there isn't a single driving mode on the car that can hurt it... that's what they're there for, to use when ever you want.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sport mode on the shifter keeps the suspension the same as Normal, S+ firms it up. If you have the Magneride that is.

Drive Modes Explained
He's got a 17 V6, none of that new fangled stuff in our cars :lol:

For the question though, for me it just seems to hold the gears longer and shifts firmer.

For all the paddle shifting/manual pros, if I'm constantly coming up on speed bumps like I do everyday going home, is it best to just leave it 2nd or 3rd and go over them? What about stop signs? I know some people that say you only need to go to 2nd...

I'm fine with it at speed, but usually go back to D slowing down because I'm not sure!

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Nothing bad about it. Just more aggressive, holds gears longer, downshifts, etc. Won't shift into 6th as well. I personally find S without paddles to be annoying.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I almost always use sport+. Only time I take it out is in school zones and 25 mph speed areas. It's a bit annoying having it hold gears at those low speeds.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Sport/Sport+ is perfectly safe for every day usage, track and drag modes are the ones that are “not meant” for public roads (wink wink nudge nudge).

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
So is there a difference in S vs. S+ if there is no dynamic stability?

Also, what does using the shifter in S do to S+ mode? From my observations I think it is downshifting much more aggressively and allows manual paddle mode.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
So is there a difference in S vs. S+ if there is no dynamic stability?

Also, what does using the shifter in S do to S+ mode? From my observations I think it is downshifting much more aggressively and allows manual paddle mode.
Shifter in “S” allows fully manual operation via the paddles, even to the rev limiter. If not in the “S position” automatic control of the transmission resumes after a few seconds, or if revs get too high or too low.
In my 2016 A6 GT, I do notice a slight difference in throttle response and shifting (SLIGHT DIFFERENCE) in S vs S+. No clue about the A10, though.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
track mode %100 of the time...

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
It's fine to use Sport all the time. Only downside is reduced MPG lol.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I leave it in drive until the oil temp shows normal. Probably unnecessary, but the throttle response and shifting are far more aggressive in sport, on the V6.
Sponsored