Sponsored

Can anyone verify the ticking noise for Coyote engines?

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Having read everything ever written on this subject, my conclusion is this:

Like the powerstroke diesel tick, the Coyote tick is harmless. Annoying, embarrassing, frustrating...but mechanically harmless. This issue has been raised since the Coyote first launched, it's not a new thing. Some suggest it's more prevalent a problem on the 2018 GT, and if it is, this could be the reason: The 2018 GT has a composite oil pan. A lightweight composite pan, less dense than metal, will transmit sound with greater ease.

The BBQ tick is caused by bottom end build tolerance stack-up. More often than not, it'll come and go dependent on temperature and oil age. Export Mustangs operating in different climates often use 5W-30 oil, and very, very few have the tick. Of the seventeen thousand 2015-2018 Mustangs in Australia, I've found only one guy who reported it.

If my car wins the tick lottery, I'm just going to tell everyone that the trunk monkey (whilst useful) is not always audibly concordant.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
So the ticking is "allegedly" caused by air bubbles and yet they replaced his engine. LOL....

No, they replaced his engine because[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
after filing with the BBB and sending countless letters to Ford I finally arrived at my "final repair attempt".
[/FONT]

He was at the end of the lemon law process. Though the car was "serviceable", the customer was placated with an engine change. It was cheaper to replace his engine than replace his car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The BBQ tick is caused by bottom end build tolerance stack-up. More often than not, it'll come and go dependent on temperature and oil age. Export Mustangs operating in different climates often use 5W-30 oil, and very, very few have the tick. Of the seventeen thousand 2015-2018 Mustangs in Australia, I've found only one guy who reported it.
As I mentioned before, there have been a few guys here who had the BBQ Tick, and then tried using 5W30 or even heavier oil to see what happened, and it didn't make the tick go away. Also, if it was bearing clearance and oil weight related, the engine would be very quiet until the engine warmed up and the oil thinned way down. Lots of guys hear the BBQ Tick when the oil is still cold and relatively thick.

And some guys don't hear the BBQ Tick until there are thousands of miles put on the car. Once the tick is there, seems using a different weight oil doesn't help. Could be that some engines are nearly at the point of being out of tolerance when new, and with some miles the bearings wear down just a little bit enough to cause the BBQ Tick to start. Maybe those US Mustangs using 5W20 and driven really hard can wear the bearings enough to get the tolerance into the ticking range. Could be why no Australian Mustangs are reporting the ticking with 5W30 from the factory.

Last edited:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Assuming it's not a serious flaw and just some metal-to-metal contact, has anyone tried going to a thicker oil to see if the noise goes away?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming it's not a serious flaw and just some metal-to-metal contact, has anyone tried going to a thicker oil to see if the noise goes away?
Like I said above, I recall a few guys saying using thicker oil didn't seem to make the BBQ Tick go away. If it was just a matter of using 5W30 instead of 5W20, that would have been discovered many years ago as the remedy.

Maybe starting a poll might be useful to see if anyone switching to thicker oil got rid of or made the BBQ Tick much less noticeable.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Never said 5W-30 was the solution. It's just an observation.

As I mentioned in another thread, make of it what you will.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never said 5W-30 was the solution. It's just an observation.

As I mentioned in another thread, make of it what you will.
But you did mention in Post #18 above that the Mustangs in Australia that use 5W30 don't exhibit the BBQ Tick. I highly doubt the internals of the engine is any different than the US of EU models ... so the oil is the only difference. Yet, guys in the US who had the tick tried 5W30 and it didn't help. This is why this whole tick issue it so hard to pin-point. Maybe some of the Mustangs that run 5W20 from the factory end up smoking a crank or rod journal bearing for some reason, and then it's permanently damaged and no oil viscosity will stop the ticking. Lot's of "theories", but no hard core evidence.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
So you made of it what you will.

The OP asked what causes the tick, and I think I have answered that question. You and others think these engines are damaged, and there we disagree.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
[ame]

Found this today. Everyone with an 18 please make sure the dealer puts in 10 quarts of oil instead of 8 during oil changes!

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you made of it what you will.

The OP asked what causes the tick, and I think I have answered that question. You and others think these engines are damaged, and there we disagree.
If the engines aren't damaged, then why does Ford replace the engine when there's a bad case of the BBQ Tick?

And if Ford knows the cause, why isn't there a SSM or TSB about it?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of our UK Mustangs run 5W20. Not a single tick reported on here from over 7,000 cars. It seems the right hand drive cars do not tick.
The EU Mustangs (at least the 2018s) specify a euro spec of Castrol Magnatec. The 2018s also list both 5W20 and 5W30 as both acceptible viscosity. Maybe the EU engines are made at a different factory - who knows, but I doubt it.

The BBQ Tick has been around for years, yet nobody knows for sure what the real cause is.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2280889&postcount=14

EU 2018 with the engine rattle/BBQ Tick:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2280941&postcount=655

Last edited:

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
Mine has the tick and I just said fuck it I'm not letting it bother me, if it fails it fails I have the warranty till 60k like has been said. Car runs strong, I've seen very few ppl have to get their motors replaced and it seems like more ppl than not have the tick so I'm going to enjoy my car.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
6k miles in a little less than 2 months. Just had the oil changed today. I "think" I notice an occasional noise here or there so I just step on it and drown it out with the exhaust. Hopefully you guys that don't actually have a broken down engine in the shop aren't sitting in the car worrying about the sound and not enjoying the car.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
6k miles in a little less than 2 months. Just had the oil changed today. I "think" I notice an occasional noise here or there so I just step on it and drown it out with the exhaust. Hopefully you guys that don't actually have a broken down engine in the shop aren't sitting in the car worrying about the sound and not enjoying the car.
Was that your first oil change?
Sponsored