Sponsored

Update: 2019 Bullitt Mustang Order Banks Open, 480 Horsepower, Starts at $46,595 MSRP

mustangthrall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - 8/6 build date
:ford:Just out of curiosity... I'd love to hear some car history from everyone here...

- What car are you trading in / selling (if any)?

- Will the Bullitt be your daily?

- What is your Mustang car history?
- Selling my 2014 Audi S5 (manual trans)

- Bullitt will be my daily driver

- I've owned a 2001 V6, 2011 GT (auto), 2014 GT (manual) - all convertibles
Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I had a chance at Carlisle to briefly talk with Carl Widmann about a potential Bullitt 10 speed and he said he has received a remarkable number of inquiries about it. I also pointed out that a rather large part of the demographic of people that remember the Bullitt movie are not exactly in their 20's anymore, so an automatic version would absolutely appeal to many people.
you would think that they would have focus grouped this. They could put the cue ball on top of the A10 shifter and they would sell a boat load.

IbizaAntoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19MY BULLITT
IMG_6035_zpsfgrteiaj.jpg

On the subject of transmissions... I searched high and low for the MT82-D4 individual gear ratios. After reading through the post, I decided to message someone at Ford Performance. They got this to me right away. Those guys are friggin awesome!

Previous version of the MT82 is as follows

Stock GT MT-82 ratios:
Hi Mustangthrall, thanks for this crucial information!! Very useful indeed!! Now that we are talking about Trasmissions I would like to know, if you could ask your Ford Performance contact about a doubt that is making me absolutely nuts!! Apparently I’ve heard and seen that some GT 2018 with Manual Transmissions owners have stated that the MT-82D4 has a new aluminium shift fork (used to be made of steel) so apparently these owners are reporting total failure and total destruction of these forks... I’m quite worried about this situation has I’ve ordered the 19 BULLITT in Spain, delivery due in October/November hopefully. My questions is, if we will have the same aluminium shift forks as the 2018 model or will Ford go back to the steel versions... thanks a lot

Best Regards, Antoni

RemoWilliams84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
IMG_6035_zpsfgrteiaj.jpg

On the subject of transmissions... I searched high and low for the MT82-D4 individual gear ratios. After reading through the post, I decided to message someone at Ford Performance. They got this to me right away. Those guys are friggin awesome!

Previous version of the MT82 is as follows

Stock GT MT-82 ratios:
It's interesting that they said 5th gear was 1:1. I've seen quite a few youtube videos with people saying that 4th was 1:1 on the 2018's, but I thought that sounded kind of strange.

Actually, just found this on cjPonyParts:

"or the latest revision of the MT-82 transmission - which has caught a lot of criticism among drag racers for its lack of durability - has borrowed a ton of tech from the TR6060 (used in the GT500) to improve the shifting experience across the board. The MT-82 D4 has better gear ratios, which 4th gear is now 1:1 instead of 5th, which makes for a much more pleasurable driving experience. Internally, the synchros have been upgraded along with the shift forks. No more plastic guides and the center support has been upgraded."

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How do you figure out the bullitt build no from your vin ?

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
How do you figure out the bullitt build no from your vin ?
The last 5 digits after the "55"

So car 1 would be "00001" , and car 1,000 would be "01000"

mustangthrall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
It's interesting that they said 5th gear was 1:1. I've seen quite a few youtube videos with people saying that 4th was 1:1 on the 2018's, but I thought that sounded kind of strange.

Actually, just found this on cjPonyParts:

"or the latest revision of the MT-82 transmission - which has caught a lot of criticism among drag racers for its lack of durability - has borrowed a ton of tech from the TR6060 (used in the GT500) to improve the shifting experience across the board. The MT-82 D4 has better gear ratios, which 4th gear is now 1:1 instead of 5th, which makes for a much more pleasurable driving experience. Internally, the synchros have been upgraded along with the shift forks. No more plastic guides and the center support has been upgraded."
You are correct. The chart above shows the 2018+ ratios. The addition below was showing the 2017 and older version for comparison.

mustangthrall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Hi Mustangthrall, thanks for this crucial information!! Very useful indeed!! Now that we are talking about Trasmissions I would like to know, if you could ask your Ford Performance contact about a doubt that is making me absolutely nuts!! Apparently I’ve heard and seen that some GT 2018 with Manual Transmissions owners have stated that the MT-82D4 has a new aluminium shift fork (used to be made of steel) so apparently these owners are reporting total failure and total destruction of these forks... I’m quite worried about this situation has I’ve ordered the 19 BULLITT in Spain, delivery due in October/November hopefully. My questions is, if we will have the same aluminium shift forks as the 2018 model or will Ford go back to the steel versions... thanks a lot

Best Regards, Antoni
I can certainly ask. I was initially concerned as well, however after looking into it a bit further, these seem to be isolated to only a few instances (that I can see)... Ultimately Ford sells a ton of mustangs, it stands to reason that if there was a design flaw, they'd fix it sooner than later - i'd be willing to bet it was a bad batch, maybe an issue with the aluminum casting on some of the early 2018 MT82s... Probably fixed for the second half of 2018 and most definitely into 2019. I do agree though, the fact that we still don't know... and Ford hasn't come out and said anything... it is a bit unnerving.

EDIT - I just emailed my contact, I'll respond as soon as I hear something

Last edited:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
you would think that they would have focus grouped this. They could put the cue ball on top of the A10 shifter and they would sell a boat load.
I'd say. Ford really makes weird decisions sometimes. Not offering the 10AT on the new Bullitt is one of the weirdest of all time. All this high tech on the car and then they leave out one of the biggest technical improvements in Mustang history.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
I'd say. Ford really makes weird decisions sometimes. Not offering the 10AT on the new Bullitt is one of the weirdest of all time. All this high tech on the car and then they leave out one of the biggest technical improvements in Mustang history.
Can't see how folks think this is weird.

This is a Bullitt Mustang. The whole idea of it is to draw on, the aura of:
  1. Steve McQueen
  2. The movie
What would be "weird" is if they did offer the 10AT. That would be a 180-degree shift from what McQueen was about and what he had in his own extensive personal collection.

I give Ford credit for not offering the 10AT!

Yes, the 10AT is a great tranny and I'd like to have it in most any vehicle, that I wanted an automatic in, but not the Bullitt.

This is very much like the rear spoiler. Even though it provides usable, positive downforce at speed, Ford felt it wasn't in keeping with the look and feel that they were going for.

They could have said "what will get us the most sales - offer every option - 10AT, Adaptive Cruise Control, PP2, etc. Ford, instead said, what will be the truest tribute to the McQueen Bullitt and sell in enough numbers to at least break-even.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 10AT a lot, but I agree with Ford that the Bullitt should be a manual transmission. I've got a ZF-8HP tranny in my VW Touareg diesel and love having 8 gears for towing and all around driving. I know I'd enjoy and appreciate the 10AT in most any vehicle, even a Mustang that I was using as as a daily driver, for stoplight to stoplight stuff, etc., but not for "driver engagement". There's no substitute for a manual transmission in some applications. I've owned a lot of cars and most I'd be happy with an auto or even prefer one, but for some it would have reduced their driver involvement/enjoyment too much for me (BMW M-Coupe, Fiat Spider, original Mini, Sunbeam, Merkur XR4Ti, etc.).

Just like for me an "Eleanor" (Gone In 60 Seconds) tribute car really needs to be charcoal-silver with black stripes, the Bullitt needs to be Highland Green, with American Racing Torq Thrust, a manual transmission and have a great throaty exhaust note. YMMV

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The whole idea of it is to draw on, the aura of:
  1. Steve McQueen
  2. The movie
Following that logic the new Bullitt should also be stripped of ABS, ESP, airbags, headrests, 6 pot brakes, catalytic converters, 3-point seat belts, keyless access, rearview camera, parking radar, LED lights, fuel injection, electric mirrors, climate control, adjustable drive modes, adjustable steering modes, bluetooth, airbags, electricly adjustable and heated mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror, electric seat adjustment, seat heating, seat ventilation, usb ports, lcd radio display and instrument cluster and have a live rear axle of course.

That would be a 180-degree shift from what McQueen was about
I probably appreciate the 'sporty' sentiment of driving a manual just as much as you, but apart from the fact that not everyone can afford multiple cars reality is that many 'Bullitt people' are now in their 50's/60's and even after enduring the joys of manual shifting for many years for a lot of us there comes a time when the body simply can't keep up any more. It hurts to be left out because of that by a brand that you have driven all your life, especially when there is really no need for it. Just as life and the Mustang series progress so should the Bullitt.

Btw if Steve McQueen were still alive today he's be 88 years old. I would not at all be surprised if Ford brass had phoned him up to offer him the #2 VIN of the 2019 Bullitt he would have actually preferred to get a 10 speed. He'd probably say he wanted the fastest version anyway.
:cheers:

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Following that logic the new Bullitt should also be stripped of ABS, ESP, airbags, headrests, 6 pot brakes, catalytic converters, 3-point seat belts, keyless access, rearview camera, parking radar, LED lights, fuel injection, electric mirrors, climate control, adjustable drive modes, adjustable steering modes, bluetooth, airbags, electricly adjustable and heated mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror, electric seat adjustment, seat heating, seat ventilation, usb ports, lcd radio display and instrument cluster and have a live rear axle of course.

I probably appreciate the 'sporty' sentiment of driving a manual just as much as you, but apart from the fact that not everyone can afford multiple cars reality is that many 'Bullitt people' are now in their 50's/60's and even after enduring the joys of manual shifting for many years for a lot of us there comes a time when the body simply can't keep up any more. It hurts to be left out because of that by a brand that you have driven all your life, especially when there is really no need for it. Just as life and the Mustang series progress so should the Bullitt.

Btw if Steve McQueen were still alive today he's be 88 years old. I would not at all be surprised if Ford brass had phoned him up to offer him the #2 VIN of the 2019 Bullitt he would have actually preferred to get a 10 speed. He'd probably say he wanted the fastest version anyway.
And that's precisely the reason why this might be the last of the naturally-aspirated V8s that can only be equipped in manual transmission.

I for sure want to be part of this history and to tell my future grand-kids about how we could buy a NA V8 with manual and how amazing it sounded.

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
The car in 68 had a number of options on it, including a deluxe interior- so the idea that to keep "true" to the original means no options is a misnomer. An auto was available in 68, but that wasn't how the car was ordered. It had a manual transmission.

Bullitt Mustang Options

I think that the decision to build the car with just a manual was correct.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
Following that logic the new Bullitt should also be stripped of ABS, ESP, airbags, headrests, 6 pot brakes, catalytic converters, 3-point seat belts, keyless access, rearview camera, parking radar, LED lights, fuel injection, electric mirrors, climate control, adjustable drive modes, adjustable steering modes, bluetooth, airbags, electricly adjustable and heated mirrors, auto dimming interior mirror, electric seat adjustment, seat heating, seat ventilation, usb ports, lcd radio display and instrument cluster and have a live rear axle of course...
Ericc, you missed where I said that I felt the
idea of it is to draw on, the aura
. I don't think they ever intended to produce a 1968 390 GT. That can be done now by anyone who wants to. There is a company that makes brand new 1968 bodies that are "approved" by Ford and parts are readily available. Also, as Dean points out, the 1968 car was nowhere near a no-frills/no-options car. It had several factory options as well as a few after-market options such as the wheels, steering wheel, etc.

Like I said, for me, Ford did it just right but YMMV - each person has their own idea of what it should be.

... I probably appreciate the 'sporty' sentiment of driving a manual just as much as you, but apart from the fact that not everyone can afford multiple cars reality is that many 'Bullitt people' are now in their 50's/60's and even after enduring the joys of manual shifting for many years for a lot of us there comes a time when the body simply can't keep up any more...
I appreciate that not everyone can afford or have space for more than one vehicle, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Bullitt. The 2019 Bullitt is supposed to be a car that is true to the "aura" of the 1968 model. A major part of that is McQueen running the car through the gears and double-clutching on upshifts and downshifts. Just no way to do that with an auto.

While a big chunk of those who remember and perhaps will buy the 2019 Bullitt may be in their 50's-60's, I would think Ford isn't counting on them to carry the load. There will be plenty of folks in their 30's-40's and younger who like and want the car for what it is, and/or what it represents.

Most folks that I know who are in their 50's/60's don't have any issue with driving a manual transmission today, especially with the low-effort clutch/tranny setups today. People, in general, are much healthier and noticeably more fit than they have ever been in the past.

I turn 65 next month and am what would politely be referred to as a high-mileage unit. I've been very active and had lots of injuries that make my back, legs, etc., nowhere near as strong or resilient as they used to be.

This year won't be much different than most for me driving-wise. So far, I've had my motorcycles to two Rallies/Events and have three more planned. I typically ride around 10,000 km per year. Far more work than driving a car. In two weeks time, I leave one Rally at noon and will ride 1,900km (1,200 miles) by 4 pm the next day. Then rest overnight and start another two days riding the next morning. I've already driven my car and SUV about 10,000 km this year and will do around another 10k before the year ends, including between 2,000km-3,000km in Italy with a manual tranny later this year.

... It hurts to be left out because of that by a brand that you have driven all your life, especially when there is really no need for it. Just as life and the Mustang series progress so should the Bullitt...
If I were looking for a daily-driver for stop-n-go traffic than an auto is definitely the way to go. But that isn't what the Bullitt is about or is designed to satisfy. There has been tremendous progress made and the Bullitt has evolved into one of the very best, fastest and engaging Mustangs Ford has ever built.

... Btw if Steve McQueen were still alive today he's be 88 years old. I would not at all be surprised if Ford brass had phoned him up to offer him the #2 VIN of the 2019 Bullitt he would have actually preferred to get a 10 speed. He'd probably say he wanted the fastest version anyway.
My feeling is different on that Ericc. McQueen had several cars and motorcycles that weren't the fastest (in a straight-line) of their class, but most of them were the best handling or among the best handling in their class at the time and also very engaging vehicles. Many sacrificed a bit of ultimate acceleration and sometimes handling to provide versatility or a "fun factor". I could be wrong, none of us will ever know, but I think he'd still want to be driving a manual transmission on the Mustang and would approve of the 2019 exactly as it is. Now for his pickup truck camper, he might well change it from his old 1952 Chevy 1-ton 6-cylinder 4-speed manual to an auto, but perhaps not. https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Media/Home/Reader/around-the-campfire-with-steve-mcqueen-this-1952-chevy-pickup-with-its-custom-camper-has-a-significant-history/ McQueen was about performance. But appreciated all types of performance and versatility.

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Ericc, you missed where I said that I felt the . I don't think they ever intended to produce a 1968 390 GT. That can be done now by anyone who wants to. There is a company that makes brand new 1968 bodies that are "approved" by Ford and parts are readily available. Also, as Dean points out, the 1968 car was nowhere near a no-frills/no-options car. It had several factory options as well as a few after-market options such as the wheels, steering wheel, etc.

Like I said, for me, Ford did it just right but YMMV - each person has their own idea of what it should be.

I appreciate that not everyone can afford or have space for more than one vehicle, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Bullitt. The 2019 Bullitt is supposed to be a car that is true to the "aura" of the 1968 model. A major part of that is McQueen running the car through the gears and double-clutching on upshifts and downshifts. Just no way to do that with an auto.

While a big chunk of those who remember and perhaps will buy the 2019 Bullitt may be in their 50's-60's, I would think Ford isn't counting on them to carry the load. There will be plenty of folks in their 30's-40's and younger who like and want the car for what it is, and/or what it represents.

Most folks that I know who are in their 50's/60's don't have any issue with driving a manual transmission today, especially with the low-effort clutch/tranny setups today. People, in general, are much healthier and noticeably more fit than they have ever been in the past.

I turn 65 next month and am what would politely be referred to as a high-mileage unit. I've been very active and had lots of injuries that make my back, legs, etc., nowhere near as strong or resilient as they used to be.

This year won't be much different than most for me driving-wise. So far, I've had my motorcycles to two Rallies/Events and have three more planned. I typically ride around 10,000 km per year. Far more work than driving a car. In two weeks time, I leave one Rally at noon and will ride 1,900km (1,200 miles) by 4 pm the next day. Then rest overnight and start another two days riding the next morning. I've already driven my car and SUV about 10,000 km this year and will do around another 10k before the year ends, including between 2,000km-3,000km in Italy with a manual tranny later this year.

If I were looking for a daily-driver for stop-n-go traffic than an auto is definitely the way to go. But that isn't what the Bullitt is about or is designed to satisfy. There has been tremendous progress made and the Bullitt has evolved into one of the very best, fastest and engaging Mustangs Ford has ever built.

My feeling is different on that Ericc. McQueen had several cars and motorcycles that weren't the fastest (in a straight-line) of their class, but most of them were the best handling or among the best handling in their class at the time and also very engaging vehicles. Many sacrificed a bit of ultimate acceleration and sometimes handling to provide versatility or a "fun factor". I could be wrong, none of us will ever know, but I think he'd still want to be driving a manual transmission on the Mustang and would approve of the 2019 exactly as it is. Now for his pickup truck camper, he might well change it from his old 1952 Chevy 1-ton 6-cylinder 4-speed manual to an auto, but perhaps not. https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Media/Home/Reader/around-the-campfire-with-steve-mcqueen-this-1952-chevy-pickup-with-its-custom-camper-has-a-significant-history/ McQueen was about performance. But appreciated all types of performance and versatility.
I don't know ANYONE in their 30's to 40's that cares for the Bullitt movie or the Steve McQueen name/brand. I'm in my mid/late 30's, and although a Mustang guy, also don't care for a Bullitt/McQueen car.

I also think Ford dropped a ball not offering an A10. One step further, Ford dropped the ball in even doing a silly Bullitt movie tribute car altogether rather than sticking with their real heritage (Mach1). Very disappointing.
Sponsored