Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I tested it yesterday - I have bin driving around for about 30 minutes - not at very high speed (around 40 miles) - but the sounds seems to be still there. (the video has been taken after around 30 mins of driving) I think it is not that loud as when it is cold - but it still can be replicated.

I have to test again to get the machien completely warm.
Yes it is the same sound. Try and record in 3rd gear and hold at 2200 rpm. It should produce a constant loud rattle.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My 2018 GT just picked up the rattle. We didn’t hear it until around 900 miles, just hit 1000 and it’s got that rapid rattle around 1900-2200 rpm. Going to the dealer to at least have it documented before I change the oil or do anything else to the car so they can’t say those mods caused it

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
2. Rattle/Diesel noise that happens under extreme light throttle at 1900-2500 RPM. Goes away or almost goes away when hot. Move the throttle slightly and it goes away (Jury's out)

I'll vote for this one, will make an appointment with the dealer anyway.

Another idea would be that it is a DI/HPFP related noise which is amplified by the sound tube (I dunno if we had that idea already) In this case it would mean that there is a coincidence (that sound vs. bigrivers damaged cylinder)

At least we have Jesus as a tech involved :headbang:

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
kind of the same type of thinking where a guy notes that his new car engine is making an odd mechanical noise and then proceeds to tune it anyway therefore risking warranty coverage.

I don't believe for a second that you are getting a warrantied engine from Ford. it goes against everything widely known about how Ford corporate does things.
First and foremost the only thing unwarranted here is your vendetta against me. I will politely ask you to back off.
Secondly - The issue was noted well before I tuned.
Thirdly - The tune wasn't on for long at all.
Fourthly - I dont care what you believe.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
They make mediocre cars in terms of styling/performance and they definitely had an issue with their V6 automatic transmissions but to say Honda is mediocre in terms of reliability/quality is far from the truth.

There are bunch of 90s and early 2000s Hondas well in excess of 200k miles that have only had routine maintenance done. I have several friends and family members with older Hondas and Acuras that have been flawless.

My S2000 in 7 years and 155K miles had two minor problems (leaky clutch master cylinder and leaky VTEC solenoid) and both were well after 100K miles.
I still drive a Honda Accord most of the time. 303k miles and counting. One clutch replacement at 245k, and a few minor part replacements. I bought it new when my daughter was nine. She now has a bachelor's degree, career, and a place of her own.

Sponsored

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I still drive a Honda Accord most of the time. 303k miles and counting. One clutch replacement at 245k, and a few minor part replacements. I bought it new when my daughter was nine. She now has a bachelor's degree, career, and a place of her own.
My uncle had a Nissan Altima before he had his daughter. She grew up and the car ended up at 490K before he ditched it. Nissan gave him a free Versa. They would have given him more if he had hit 500K. We tried to get him to hold off but you can never know if the dealer was just saying that to say it or not.

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After a new test drive I still have the HPFP/DI theory - thanks to hint from a buddy in a german forum (Dankeschön to Herr Kai :cheers:)

AS a long time VW and AUDI TDI driver the sound is quite familiar to me.
I guess it is HPFP / DI related. Besides that - this typical tick sound in idle mode is loudest where the sound tube is - I think this really is amplified to the interior .

The driver side - sound is pretty loud - next beside the sound tube:

[ame]

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
After a new test drive I still have the HPFP/DI theory - thanks to hint from a buddy in a german forum (Dankeschön to Herr Kai :cheers:)

AS a long time VW and AUDI TDI driver the sound is quite familiar to me.
I guess it is HPFP / DI related. Besides that - this typical tick sound in idle mode is loudest where the sound tube is - I think this really is amplified to the interior .

The driver side - sound is pretty loud - next beside the sound tube:

That's not really the BBQ tick. That is a uniform ticking to match injection cycle, which is typical on DI fuel systems.

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
That's not really the BBQ tick. That is a uniform ticking to match injection cycle, which is typical on DI fuel systems.
Agreed that's definitely not the BBQ tick. That sounds perfectly normal actually

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
yeah that sounds like typical DI motor, having my last 3 cars DI, I'm use to that sound. but this sounds way to.. harsh.. to be DI noise. not saying no way it isn't, but still sounds more piston slap then DI tick

Sponsored

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
yeah that sounds like typical DI motor, having my last 3 cars DI, I'm use to that sound. but this sounds way to.. harsh.. to be DI noise. not saying no way it isn't, but still sounds more piston slap then DI tick
Shit I wish I only had that noise. I'm dealing with the BBQ tick and I chose to let it go and have the attitude like "if he dies, he dies" haha. I wouldn't be worried bro

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
First and foremost the only thing unwarranted here is your vendetta against me. I will politely ask you to back off.
Secondly - The issue was noted well before I tuned.
Thirdly - The tune wasn't on for long at all.
Fourthly - I dont care what you believe.
you're the idiot that decided to pm me uninvited with an I told you so message that appears to have been a lie.. if you notice I have quoted some of your posts in this thread so they last forever. i'm sure you're aware that Ford does look in places like this when they suspect a car with a warranty claim is not stock as claimed. ohh and it doesn't matter if the Tune was only on for 30 seconds or 30 days, the fact that it was tuned period is the issue with Ford.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Shit I wish I only had that noise. I'm dealing with the BBQ tick and I chose to let it go and have the attitude like "if he dies, he dies" haha. I wouldn't be worried bro
i just picked up the slapping sound, that rapid slap around 2k, about 100 miles ago. im going to bring it to the dealership so they can notate and document it. then carry on with my regularly schedule modifications. luckily i have friends that work at the dealership.

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
i just picked up the slapping sound, that rapid slap around 2k, about 100 miles ago. im going to bring it to the dealership so they can notate and document it. then carry on with my regularly schedule modifications. luckily i have friends that work at the dealership.
There ya go! Sounds like a good plan to me. Keep us posted

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Thanks..just thought so cuz the uniform sound is the same as the piezo igniter in my Broil King :D
Sponsored