Sponsored

Do you change your own oil?

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I buy it direct from the factory. In my case I can do a full fluid swap (motor/trans/diff) for the same price as a synthetic oil change and the product quality is much better.
That makes sense, I was going to say because I used to use Mobil 1 5w-20 and that is now almost $10 a quart at the autoparts store
Sponsored

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
That makes sense, I was going to say because I used to use Mobil 1 5w-20 and that is now almost $10 a quart at the autoparts store
You can get a 5 quart jug of that for about $35 on Amazon and less than $25 at Walmart.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
M1 makes money on singles. Their 5qt jug was $22 with $12 rebate at Walmart.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
How can someone fuck up a Subaru oil filter install is beyond me. It literately says on the filter, 7/8 turn after gasket touches the filter housing.
You would be surprised how many people dont know what 7/8 means.

I was at a Dunkin Donuts and asked for 2 and a 1/2 dozen donuts and the guy gave me 6. I asked I need 2 and a 1/2 dozen and he looked confused and said you want 12? I said no, I need 30:frusty::lol:

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
You can get a 5 quart jug of that for about $35 on Amazon and less than $25 at Walmart.
M1 makes money on singles. Their 5qt jug was $22 with $12 rebate at Walmart.
I was just going by memory of what I used to do. I would get a case of 6 qts because that is what my 3V took, just wanted to see what it was by the QT now. Those are some good prices.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I change my oil myself as well. Although it takes longer to do and can be messy, it's cheaper and it's more for peace of mind since I know what's going into the car.

I have a buddy who brought his v6 Challenger to the dealer for an oil change. The dealer parked the car in the corner, didn't move the car or change the oil, and then brought it out front and told him the car was good to go.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ does it really take any longer (or at most, much longer) from the time you leave your house with the car to the time you walk back in the house? I'm assuming that when you source your own oil and filters that you combine that with other errands or at least buy more than one change's worth of these supplies at a time. And that if you have other small things to get done that you do step away while the oil is draining).

Sorry to hear what happened to your buddy. Even Jiffy Lube is better than that (though they do/at least did have a reputation for short-filling).

Norm

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Been doing my PM and even heavy maintenance myself for years. I admit that I bought a two post lift awhile back and have a large steel building with several boxes full of Snap-on tools.
I would rather get a sharp poker in the eye than pay a dealership to do anything. Remember that there is a good chance that the lowest guy on the seniority list does the oil changes.
Do yourself a favor, get under your car and look around while doing that oil change.

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I do it myself and put in Amsoil once per year. Been using it for 20 years and never had a problem. Only had problems with Mobil 1 and Castrol.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
I do it myself and put in Amsoil once per year. Been using it for 20 years and never had a problem. Only had problems with Mobil 1 and Castrol.
What problems with Mobil and Castrol?

Oils have been getting better and better lately and the gap between the best is shrinking fast.

Sponsored

EcoboostRacer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
What problems with Mobil and Castrol?

Oils have been getting better and better lately and the gap between the best is shrinking fast.
Checking the dipstick after 1,000 to 3,000 miles of driving and seeing the oil levels way too low. After I switched to Amsoil, that problem virtually went away. I've been sticking with Amsoil in every vehicle I use and now I have ZERO problems. I order it in the morning and the next business day UPS is dropping it off on my porch. I never paid for next day air. Super convenient. Every January 1st I change my oil. I usually have 14,000 to close to 15,000 miles by the time I change it. Never any sludge and the oil still looks good after I drain it a year later.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Everything is subjective.
Routine maintenance is the key issue. Things like flushing your radiator is just as important...

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Took my GT350 in for its first change @ 1000 miles and they damaged the splitter trying to get it onto a regular oil change lift. If they're so incompetent they can't do an oil change without damaging the car, then NO, I'm not letting the dealer touch my car ever again. I do my changes and I track and log them.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Took my GT350 in for its first change @ 1000 miles and they damaged the splitter trying to get it onto a regular oil change lift. If they're so incompetent they can't do an oil change without damaging the car, then NO, I'm not letting the dealer touch my car ever again. I do my changes and I track and log them.
Did they at least tell you they damaged it or did you discover it after the fact?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Did they at least tell you they damaged it or did you discover it after the fact?
The good dealers tell you what they are going to damage when you drop it off.
Sponsored