Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Okay, for those who have had engine failures, both Cleveland and Valencia, which rod(s) failed on your engine? It seems as though they almost always fail on #3, so it'll be good to acquire some data over time and see what we're really looking at. There's a few theories floating around and this could hopefully help lead us to a more solid and defined cause of the failures.
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Conditions of the failure would be nice to know too. Hot or cold weather. Low RPM or high RPM. Light throttle, partial throttle or WOT. High speed or low speed.

Also what tune (Tune+, Unleashed, Livernois, Lund, Cobb, FP etc.)?

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP
Have not got my engine pulled out yet, but will look at this once it is. I threw a rod a week ago.

Car was warm, oil was about 1k old, about 60 degrees at night, half throttle second gear when it went, low speed just shifter from 1st gear ( did not redline first short shifter around 5k into second).

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
Have not got my engine pulled out yet, but will look at this once it is. I threw a rod a week ago.

Car was warm, oil was about 1k old, about 60 degrees at night, half throttle second gear when it went, low speed just shifter from 1st gear ( did not redline first short shifter around 5k into second).
How many miles after you filled up with gas?

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Subbed, will be interesting.

Also what mods would be good :)

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
What brand and weight of oil ? Full synthetic or synthetic blend ?
What brand and type of fuel ? What octane and service station ?

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
How many miles after you filled up with gas?
[MENTION=23488]ecoboosting[/MENTION] could you please provide the build plant or build date Cleveland or Valencia and as jrock asked, how many miles since fill up, how many hours/days since fill up, what vendor and octane?

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
IMO, the problem with timeline of catastrophic is the damage was most likely done much earlier before the whole throw the block happens.

From some past experience with damage from detonation is the pistons start to get damage, hairline cracks and then at some point either blows so much oil or just breaks apart and then the rod goes through the block.
There trying to keep piston clearance low and with cast pistons, this is a problem IMO.
It would be interesting to see if its mostly 2/3 cylinder that's blowing, maybe there a cooling issue in block/head in middle cylinders.

On the cooling, I see Honda uses a grove on top of liners between 1/2, 2/3 an 3/4 cylinders on its turbo DI engines, its suppose to help in heat dissipation on adjacent cylinders.

Last edited:

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Here is a quick list I put together of mostly M6G members with blown engines that can contribute to this poll. I included some other data outside of M6G with links. There is only 1 stock failure in this list. Anyone know of any other stock failure data?

M6G

@Slow89 "He's popping motors left and right. He's blown TWO of my friends motor here in California. And one was just a 91 tune with no bolt ons."
[MENTION=6600]ThunderHorse[/MENTION] - unsure of build dates/plants for 2 motors. STOCK untuned.
@Impulsed7 : unsure of build plant/date
@PICANTE : unsure of build plant/date
@NothernVAMustang : unsure of build plant/date
@Razedzz : unsure of build plant/date
@5.0dad : unsure of build plant/date

Valencia:
@cthomas5714
@PRG3k
@TunaFish15
@Joemomma22 I dig my 93 tune+. My engine blew. I had a cracked piston. Warranty Covered.
@Brianh922 my Eco did blow up...on a 7163 Full-Race kit, E85, stock unopened Spain motor(VEP 678). And yes I was Adam Tuned. I guess I'm the ONLY Big turbo stock motor car that's ever blown.
@JSCOTT0812 Mine blew up with the Vargas Stage 2 turbo installed. Tuned by Adam. Late 2014 motor at 15k miles.
@Mustang 2.3 12k miles -Build 10/14, Manual - stock, not tuned. Warranty covered
@marjen 27k miles,-Build date 10/14 - Auto
@Mattrix 4018 Miles - Build Date 10/31/14 - Auto
@DanFish 16000 Miles-Build date 10/24 - Auto
@stormtrooper Unknown Miles, unknown Build date, Auto Cylinder 2 let go and went through the bottom of the oil pan
@Cmw458 Yessir automatic. Blew while in normal drive mode 5300
@Fast64ranchero build date is 3/15 #3 rod out the pan
@hipporo Spanish built. EE100 051214... I think it was built on 12/05/14
@MiDiablo Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).
@kyle009 deleted post
@navair133 2015 with engine built in Spain. Livernois tune. Engine blew at 65,000 miles. Number one piston cracked wide open - Warranty covered.
@NewSVO buddie's shop and there's oil in cylinder #3 technicians there calls Ford and tells them my engine has NO oil and no dipstick
@greg hazlett gutted the PVC for Catch can

Cleveland:
@hmdballa219 First confirmed Cleveland on M6G. March 24th 2015 Cobb OTS 93 tune
@Ap8823 - 5300 build date 7.3.15 Cleveland?
@PJB Cleveland Auto - Put back to stock, Warranty covered. Just filled up.
@Woodshop77 Cleveland Auto - filled up 40 miles prior.
@snugpixel Cleveland Auto - unleashed - just filled up.
@ecoboosting threw a rod a on E30 tune.
@Jake : build date of 5/29/15 - LMS 91 tune, 93 octane in the tank (half full) - Cracked #2 cylinder - 25k miles, tuned for at least 20k- Warranty replacement covered
@derpington My build date was 11 Jan 16 / 1500 miles on it. I was in traffic, at about 2500 RPM
@S5fiddy threw a rod a at around 3k RPM, going about 45 mph. (Car has 74k miles on it). LMS 91 tune

Facebook:

@Juben

A blown motor, on the FP tune, was just posted on FB with pics. It had the tune and an intercooler and was just installed two days prior to popping. It took out Cylinder #2 and had a code for a Cyl. 2 misfire. What's interesting is that it bent the rod and it didn't snap. This now makes (2) cases that I've seen with bent rods. That can sometimes save the block but his cracked the piston and did a good bit of damage to it, so the entire motor is being replaced by Ford under warranty.

YouTube:

millennial Mohammad: on YouTube Cleveland

[ame]

Mustang Evo:

grabber12: 2nd hand with pics of the blown motor car only has 5k miles

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376753/

my buddy has a 2016 ecoboost (Cleveland) tuned by cobb. He has a aftermarket intercooler & waste gate upgrade. He just installed meth injection today and was playing around with it and now a rod is sticking out the side of his block. Any advice on a new short block? Who's making short blocks for these?

mikeygaga: 2nd hand with pics of engine - put back to stock warranty covered

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f394/t376904/

yet another blown ecoboost engine. My buddy's 2015. He was running a turbo back exhaust, intercooler, intake and Lund tune. Cylinder 3 took a poop on him. He put everything back to stock and is now trying to find a dealer that will cover it under warranty.

So update.. he put everything back to stock and found a dealer who's covering a brand new engine for him. He got extremely lucky. Stopped by the dealer today and snapped a pic of the blown cylinder.

SVT Perf

https://www.*******************/forums/threads/engine-failure.1108767/

Dragonpassion - warranty covered.

blew my 2015 eco on her final tune. Sct tuner,, off road down piped, leathel performance intercooler upgrade kit with aliminum charge pipe etc, air aid cold air, 3 inch magnaflow street ex. Turbo smart blow off and turbo smart 10 psi waste.Out on her final dyno tune on a base run on the street, with my tuner ( that tuned my 2013 boss, whipple blown, etc to 730 hp and 659 ft trque, never has had a glitch, and i ride her HARD) and the rode let go and pit a nice size hole in her block, a massive oil spill down the road until she was brought to a stop. Put her all back to stock and ford came and inspected her. 50 days latter i had her back, new engine installed. Siad it was a faulty rod, small fracture. Ford (I LOVE FORD) replaced it with a factory line engine. Went at 12000 plus miles. Now has 19000, 7000 on new engine from ford.2000 break in, then restored to before stated modes, re tuned and has been fine. Conservitive tune at 319 hp and 359 torque at wheels. Torque was pulled out by tuner to come on a little father into rpms, about 3000. Other wise she just roasted her tires. And yes... sorry, she is a auto

Last edited:

Sponsored

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
mine failed number 3. piston cracked causing marring to the cylinder. as far as i know this let oil into the combustion chamber which caused detonation issues which shattered the piston. Surprisingly enough the rod was not the cause. Props for the list. I know live in GT land though as it took over 3 months to get my car back from ford due to a back ordered part, lemon law pulled through and they swapped my vin out on my loan and gave me a new car of my choosing (i paid the difference in MSRP, but being that my eco was a roush, the difference was nominal)

edit:7800 miles on boom boom

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I'm actually surprised at the amount of autos in the list! The long going stigma was that it was only manuals that were crapping out. I knew it wasn't only manuals, but didn't know it was pretty even.

spdracerUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
What kind of oil temps is everyone seeing? I'm wondering if oil temps are getting too high, oil getting too thin...

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
With the stock tune the coolant / oil temps do hover on the mid-high side! With the AGS deactivated the temps are more in check.

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
Good work Maggneto, thats certainly a good list.

Seeing all these I am almost thinking twice about modding mine ... eeek :p
Sponsored