Sponsored

MGW Shifter Install!

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Ok, heres my thoughts on the MGW shifter install. It could have went faster but I'm meticulous (read OCD) and really take my time. No need to rush...

Tools used for interior disassembly:
xqQBVt9.jpg

I put the car up on 4 jack stands in my garage and used a creeper for sliding around underneath. The picture will give you an idea of approx height:
clEkv7k.jpg

QpYav5z.jpg

Interior components pulled out for discard. One thing to note here is that rather than beat the roll pin out of the shifter handle, I used vice grips to grab and pull. It seemed easier and less stressful to components.
MHJJs3w.jpeg

8e5vC0i.jpeg

What it looks like once you're done with disassembly on the inside of car:
4A2D6pk.jpeg

Underside disassembly was a breeze, taking no time at all. Here's an updated tool shot with everything that was used (including interior tools)
XUWgNat.jpg

Big hole:
pCIkDAS.jpeg

Side by side arms:
WjbLlzd.jpeg

Linkage and arm installed. its the only part I thought was tight. Getting that long front bolt lined up and installed took a minute.
gAIfDcN.jpg

Dropped in the new unit:
4oVAQlw.jpg

I adjusted the shifter as advised. Mine was not in calibration from the factory as the video states. IT WAS WAY OFF EXTREMELY TIGHT. This is the allen key that I sacrificed to adjust it:
v3l1hEK.jpg

Another thing I saw folks mentioning was a that there wasn't enough loctite. I had more than enough! Enough if not, its just standard BLUE found at any parts store.
LCA8m3h.jpg

Overall, I enjoyed the install and give it a 2 out of 5 on install difficulty. It took less than 5 hours total and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again on the floor vs a lift. I encourage everyone to get the MGW. Its so much of an upgrade it makes you wonder how you've never had one before... I forgot to take a pic of the finished product lol. I'll add one later.:cheers:

finished:
DSC_0053.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Photos don't show...

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Photos don't show...
hmmm they're showing from me. theyre hosted on imgur; maybe your ISP is blocking you if at work?

Anyone else unable to see photos?

Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
This happened to me,,, also

Pictures that were uploaded to post are retained in the Users cache (On their machine only). Then if the pictures are removed/deleted from post/thread, the pictures still show on OP's view, making him think all is well, when no-one else see's them.
I uploaded my photos again, then went in and manually edited the post.
You need the picture ID, then insert something like the example below in the appropriate place in the post.

Hope this helps.

TexBB

'18 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, chassis J0859
MGW

Would love to see the pics!

Sponsored
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Photos don't show...
Can’t see them either.
Not seeing anything either.
Pictures that were uploaded to post are retained in the Users cache (On their machine only). Then if the pictures are removed/deleted from post/thread, the pictures still show on OP's view, making him think all is well, when no-one else see's them.
I uploaded my photos again, then went in and manually edited the post.
You need the picture ID, then insert something like the example below in the appropriate place in the post.

Hope this helps.
Would love to see the pics!
yep thanks :headbang:

But just noticed once I went to the other site they're now showing up here -- hmm browser cache?
I uploaded all photos to the forum instead of hot linking. are they showing up here now?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good stuff!

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Do you have to raise the motor or tranny as MGW does at the factory for install? If not, why does MGW lift either the motor or tranny to install the shifter and you didn’t? Looks great.
Sponsored