Sponsored

Did anyone ever do a Perf Pack 2 vs 1LE test?

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
What is the current going ADM on a GT350R? Last time I looked it was $15,000 or more. Not what they we asking, what they were getting.
I paid $66k plus tax for my 2016 R. I bought it brand new. I also sold it eighteen months and 13K miles later for $66K.
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I paid $66k plus tax for my 2016 R. I bought it brand new. I also sold it eighteen months and 13K miles later for $66K.

So if it was so great, why sale it after a year & 13,000 miles?

If GT350 R no longer require ADM that's great. A R is then silimar in price and performance to a ZL1. Now we just need a competitive PP2.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
So if it was so great, why sale it after a year & 13,000 miles?

If GT350 R no longer require ADM that's great. A R is then silimar in price and performance to a ZL1. Now we just need a competitive PP2.
His example is not the norm. Some people somehow got lucky and were able to get one at MSRP. But most of them were at $5K to $10K over. And there were others that were about $10K to $20K over. And I wouldn't quite say they are similar in performance. Their handling characteristics seem to be about equal but the ZL1 (even with manual trans) is much faster in a straight line. Neither car was built for straight line work tho.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You lost me with “why you sale it?”. I did not “sale” it. The question should be, “why did you sell it?”.

Primarily, I sold it because my job was taking me to a location where it would no longer be practical to own. It’s that simple.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
His example is not the norm. Some people somehow got lucky and were able to get one at MSRP. But most of them were at $5K to $10K over. And there were others that were about $10K to $20K over. And I wouldn't quite say they are similar in performance. Their handling characteristics seem to be about equal but the ZL1 (even with manual trans) is much faster in a straight line. Neither car was built for straight line work tho.
Certainly not the norm, but ADM does not figure into the level of performance engineered into the car at the MSRP price point. And, of course, you would expect a car making 650hp/650tq to have a better straight line performance.

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day, GM is offering the better options if you’re into as-delivered factory track performance. How anybody can argue this, I don’t understand. It is also true that this performance advantage is only resulting in bragging rights, as it does not seem to be translating into increased sales for the better performing car.

The fact remains, no matter how well it performs as compared to what other automakers are delivering, the Mustang always has been, and likely always will be, the car in its segment that the majority of people want to drive. I think it is this fact that makes so many Camaro enthusiasts so frustrated that they use any excuse to deride the Mustang in an effort to elevate their own choice in vehicle.

I doubt anybody who actually purchased a PP2-equipped car is lamenting that decision. They knew what was being offered in the package. Maybe the 1% of PP2 buyers that will ever see a track might be disappointed, but that is about it.

Last edited:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
At the end of the day, GM is offering the better option if you’re into as-delivered factory track performance. How anybody can argue this, I don’t understand. It is also true that this performance advantage is only resulting in bragging rights, as it does not seem to be translating into increased sales for the better performing car.

The fact remains, no matter how well it performs as compared to what other automakers are delivering, the Mustang always has been, and likely always will be, the car in its segment that the majority of people want to drive. I think it is this fact that makes so many Camaro enthusiasts so frustrated that they use any excuse to deride the Mustang in an effort to elevate their own choice in vehicle.

I doubt anybody who actually purchased a PP2-equipped car is lamenting that decision. They knew what was being offered in the package. Maybe the 1% of PP2 buyers that will ever see a track might be disappointed, but that is about it.
At the end of the day, GM is offering the better option if you’re into as-delivered factory track performance. How anybody can argue this, I don’t understand. It is also true that this performance advantage is only resulting in bragging rights, as it does not seem to be translating into increased sales for the better performing car.

Gotta agree. Lets face it. GM is besting Ford in every performance matrix. By simply having a ZL1. There isn't a single mustang that can match its straight line performance. And nothing is matching 1Le trim for track duty. You'd think a car like that would be a sales giant. Instead of the sad showing it's currently making.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Gotta agree. Lets face it. GM is besting Ford in every performance matrix. By simply having a ZL1. There isn't a single mustang that can match its straight line performance. And nothing is matching 1Le trim for track duty. You'd think a car like that would be a sales giant. Instead of the sad showing it's currently making.
Sales don't matter only profits which we know which car has the higher profits without actually knowing any of the numbers :)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Sales don't matter only profits which we know which car has the higher profits without actually knowing any of the numbers :)
True, but we do know the ATP and it’s pretty impressive. If you take [Mustang Sales] X [Mustang ATP] = Total Revenue and compare that to [Camaro Sales] X [Camaro ATP] = Total Revenue, the numbers are almost equal. So both products are putting about the same amount of $$$ in the corporate cash register. Cost of Goods Sold is the unknown quantity for both.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of profits, if the margin on the Camaro is as big as many believe it is, imagine how good GM would be feeling if more people were taking delivery of their product.

Back on topic, I can’t find anywhere where Ford ever touted the PP2 as anything other than an option package for the Mustang that is a step up from the PP1. They have never touted it as a package that make the Mustang a “track” car or a competitor to the 1LE packages offered on the Camaro.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Speaking of profits, if the margin on the Camaro is as big as many believe it is, imagine how good GM would be feeling if more people were taking delivery of their product.

Back on topic, I can’t find anywhere where Ford ever touted the PP2 as anything other than an option package for the Mustang that is a step up from the PP1. They have never touted it as a package that make the Mustang a “track” car or a competitor to the 1LE packages offered on the Camaro.
I don't think they ever flat out said it was a track package, but when you look at some of the components on it, specifically the tires it is a bit odd that they went with that extreme of a choice if it is not a track package.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I like that "pretender pack 2" phrase lol

True, but we do know the ATP and it’s pretty impressive. If you take [Mustang Sales] X [Mustang ATP] = Total Revenue and compare that to [Camaro Sales] X [Camaro ATP] = Total Revenue, the numbers are almost equal. So both products are putting about the same amount of $$$ in the corporate cash register. Cost of Goods Sold is the unknown quantity for both.
That is the whole thing though without knowing costs there is no way to know anything about actual profits. Which is why I never understood why profits come up all the time. People are just guessing at what things could cost based on some retail prices of components but we know manufacturers are not paying retail on things like the 350R rims (which was claimed that Ford is paying retail for each rim LOL).

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cup2’s tires are not some crazy offering. They are OEM on several cars and are simply a good way to offer improved handling performance on any car. Yes, they might be considered a track-intent tire, but maybe they were an easy answer for Ford to get the handling metrics they wanted from a PP2i equipped car while keeping the price point desired for the package.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Cup2’s tires are not some crazy offering. They are OEM on several cars and are simply a good way to offer improved handling performance on any car. Yes, they might be considered a track-intent tire, but maybe they were an easy answer for Ford to get the handling metrics they wanted from a PP2i equipped car while keeping the price point desired for the package.
I'd buy that explanation if they put PP1 size cup 2s on. Instead they put 350R spec, 305 wide fronts all around. Good handling can be achieved with far less tire. Fast times? Not so much on these heavy cars.

Every other car I can think of that includes PS Cup/Cup 2s or a very similar tire is very clear about its track intentions. Anything else has something similar to a PSS/PS4S.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Cup 2 tire is about as "extreme" a tire as you can buy on a production car. Trofeo R might be a half step further, but aside from super cars, the Z28 was the only car to use those.
Sponsored