Sponsored

muffler hole

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I searched the forum and didn't see this issue.

I just noticed a small hole in the weld of both mufflers. I noticed small amount of carbon on my garage and decided to put my hand near the muffler to see if I could feel any leaks while the car was running. Sure enough, I can feel exhaust coming though the weld. I can provide a picture if needed.

Has anyone had this issue? Should I have the mufflers replaced? Is it nothing to worry about. Leave it alone because the service department will screw something up?
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Most likely to allow condensation to escape muffler. Most have a small hole for that. Some you will see a small puddle of water on floor if car idles a little while after first starting it.

OP
OP
FPC

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most likely to allow condensation to escape muffler. Most have a small hole for that. Some you will see a small puddle of water on floor if car idles a little while after first starting it.
Thanks, :headbonk:

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Go ahead and post a picture so we can verify exactly what you are looking at/talking about.

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
Modern exhausts often have drain holes to help weep out moisture and to help dry out the internal packing . Helps the exhaust life. I talked at length about this with a reputable vendor that makes systems for our cars.

Reactions: FPC

Sponsored

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Really glad you posted this thread. I too noticed these two small holes, one at the lowest part of each muffler. I also noticed that when I had to leave my car idling (for a long time) when doing the stupid Sync update, I noticed a small puddle of sooty water under each muffler. Under closer inspection....sure enough there are little drain holes. Kinda freaked me out at first, but then it made some sense. Forgot about it till now. I guess this answers it. condensation! Thanks.

OP
OP
FPC

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Really glad you posted this thread. I too noticed these two small holes, one at the lowest part of each muffler. I also noticed that when I had to leave my car idling (for a long time) when doing the stupid Sync update, I noticed a small puddle of sooty water under each muffler. Under closer inspection....sure enough there are little drain holes. Kinda freaked me out at first, but then it made some sense. Forgot about it till now. I guess this answers it. condensation! Thanks.
Here are some pics of mine. I couldn't really get a good enough pick to see a hole, but man the soot! My car does burn a quart of oil in 1500 miles.
muf1.jpg
muf2.jpg

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
What an odd place for a drainage hole. One would assume that placing it on the bottom would work better.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
That does not look like a drain. It is very unlikely a drain hole would be placed on a weld bead or a seam. A drain typically would be away from those kinds of spots and placed at the lowest point.

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
It is at the lowest point. the photo is just upside down. All you guys have to do is look under your cars. Its a small, obviously engineered vent hole at the lowest hanging part of the muffler. Its there...just look. for me, I was just interested in the "why". It all makes sense.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FPC

FPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That does not look like a drain. It is very unlikely a drain hole would be placed on a weld bead or a seam. A drain typically would be away from those kinds of spots and placed at the lowest point.
My picture wasn't the best. This area is the bottom side of the muffler.

Eric0w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
looks like a broken hole to me.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My Shelby loves pissing on the ground while idling.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Here's a better pic of a fairly new muffler - not much of a hole.... just a small slit punched in the front panel of the muffler that allows condensation a place to weep out.

Muffler%20Weep%20Hole_zpsnqozrsh1.jpg
Sponsored