OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Mark where tranny mount bracket is before you loosen it, it won't go back to the same spot without a little push. Helps prevent NVH
great call out! I did that as well.
Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine is in, mine is in!!! I’ll add...no reason to overstress this job! Only thing odd I ran across was torquing the crossmember bolts. Dang those treads felt soft and they turned quite a bit from hand tight to 75 lbft. I thought it was going to strip for sure. Anyone else experience this? I kept going and hit the target, but I hated the way they felt.

I adjusted my pin but I don’t remember if I backed it off the 1/2 turn when done. Zero problems getting into first, reverse, or changing gears. I’m pretty sure I did it and just physicing myself out, but asking just in case. Should be OK?

Down from 3-2 has to be a deliberate movement. Not bad, just deliberate.

Reverse wil take some getting used to, lol.

This shifter is rock solid. Thoroughly enjoy it. Zero regrets. Top shelf quality, amazing packaging, and on and on and on! BUT, I will say this...this shifter isn’t kinda like getting a cat back exhaust system in that it confirms jsut how good Ford got it right with the stock one. This may have been an improvement mod, but dang, that stock shifter is still confirmed as the best stock shifter I’ve ever seen. The new shifter confirms it cause the gap between the two is not that big, IMHO.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Man I'm glad you said something about the those cross member bolts! HOLY SHIT i was sweating bullets on the way to 75 ft/lbs. I actually stopped at 65. I'll recheck in a few hundred more miles and torque them on down, maybe. -I did not like how they felt during tightening at all. Honestly they felt much less torqued from the factory and I'm confident 50ft/lbs would be sufficient. And yea, as long as you can achieve 1st and 2nd without issue you're good to go. GOOD JOB!

Mine is in, mine is in!!! I’ll add...no reason to overstress this job! Only thing odd I ran across was torquing the crossmember bolts. Dang those treads felt soft and they turned quite a bit from hand tight to 75 lbft. I thought it was going to strip for sure. Anyone else experience this? I kept going and hit the target, but I hated the way they felt.

I adjusted my pin but I don’t remember if I backed it off the 1/2 turn when done. Zero problems getting into first, reverse, or changing gears. I’m pretty sure I did it and just physicing myself out, but asking just in case. Should be OK?

Down from 3-2 has to be a deliberate movement. Not bad, just deliberate.

Reverse wil take some getting used to, lol.

This shifter is rock solid. Thoroughly enjoy it. Zero regrets. Top shelf quality, amazing packaging, and on and on and on! BUT, I will say this...this shifter isn’t kinda like getting a cat back exhaust system in that it confirms jsut how good Ford got it right with the stock one. This may have been an improvement mod, but dang, that stock shifter is still confirmed as the best stock shifter I’ve ever seen. The new shifter confirms it cause the gap between the two is not that big, IMHO.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Man I'm glad you said something about the those cross member bolts! HOLY SHIT i was sweating bullets on the way to 75 ft/lbs. I actually stopped at 65. I'll recheck in a few hundred more miles and torque them on down, maybe. -I did not like how they felt during tightening at all. Honestly they felt much less torqued from the factory and I'm confident 50ft/lbs would be sufficient. And yea, as long as you can achieve 1st and 2nd without issue you're good to go. GOOD JOB!
Yea dude, I stopped several times, backed up, and starred over. Did them just by feel a few times, stopped like you did, etc. finally, I just decided to risk one. I just decided to blind faith trust MGW. I did it in small steps; 40, 50, 60, 75. After I sweated through the first bolt and it worked, I went for it with the others. It worked, but I hated it. Recommend George make mention of this. Check them, but I think you’re good. Had I done it without a torque wrench, I never would have made 75.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Yea dude, I stopped several times, backed up, and starred over. Did them just by feel a few times, stopped like you did, etc. finally, I just decided to risk one. I just decided to blind faith trust MGW. I did it in small steps; 40, 50, 60, 75. After I sweated through the first bolt and it worked, I went for it with the others. It worked, but I hated it. Recommend George make mention of this. Check them, but I think you’re good. Had I done it without a torque wrench, I never would have made 75.
Well that makes me feel much better. I was worried my torque wrench was out of spec and had considered going and getting new new one. I'll prob tighten on down at next oil change. how much have you driven the car since installation? I've only put a couple hundred miles on mine since installing and every time I drive it I appreciate it more and more.

Sponsored

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
My mechanic and I had a little problem when installing my shifter. It only had one hole drilled deep enough for the rear support to go in all the way. He quickly drilled the other hole the same depth as the other and was able to finish the install with no other issue. Oh...I had to adjust the nut since it wouldn't go in into first gear, only to third at first.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My mechanic and I had a little problem when installing my shifter. It only had one hole drilled deep enough for the rear support to go in all the way. He quickly drilled the other hole the same depth as the other and was able to finish the install with no other issue.
Can’t picture where/what you’re talking about.

Oh...I had to adjust the nut since it wouldn't go in into first gear, only to third at first.
This is normal. They don’t come adjusted.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I can’t picture this either [MENTION=34715]GrabberBootyBlue88[/MENTION]. Are you saying you had to drill into the MGW shifter?
Drill into anything??

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

This is normal. They don’t come adjusted.
There are two holes for the rods in the shifter body that connects to the stock rear mounts. Only one of the holes were threaded all the way in.

The two holes above the 2 grey covers in the picture attached.
mgw.jpg

Last edited:

bli8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350R - Lead Foot Gray
I had the MGW in my R for about 1500 miles, couldn't get used to the push down to reverse and the strong centering spring tension so I've gone back to the OEM shifter. I can tell for sure the MGW's throw is shorter (some say the throw isn't much shorter but it is) especially the lateral move from 2nd to 3rd is lightening quick with the MGW. But I still prefer the feel of the OEM shifter so the MGW shifter is available if anyone is interested.

Sponsored
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I had the MGW in my R for about 1500 miles, couldn't get used to the push down to reverse and the strong centering spring tension so I've gone back to the OEM shifter. I can tell for sure the MGW's throw is shorter (some say the throw isn't much shorter but it is) especially the lateral move from 2nd to 3rd is lightening quick with the MGW. But I still prefer the feel of the OEM shifter so the MGW shifter is available if anyone is interested.
Good feedback for those wondering. I actually like strong centering and became used to it within 200 miles or so. I admit though that the push down to reverse is TIGHT takes effort. I think thats by design though. its def not a "casual" driver upgrade (not saying you're casual). Also agree that the throw is incredibly short compared to stock.

bli8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I don't mind the reverse that much but my wife also drives the car and she said the push down action too hard for her as she's only 100 lbs.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
My sense would be no but I have to ask - do you track the car?

For the record, the throw reduction on MGW's GT350 shifter is 15%.

bli8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet as I had a Viper ACR as my track toy, also use a Viper TA, a manual Porsche GT3 occasionally, also have a '67 restomod Vette w/ a Richmond Gear 5 speed road race box for vintage type events. Believe it or not, I use the Shelby as my family car! As this is the car that I still enjoy driving while taking out the wife and daughter (I put in the rear seat the first weekend I got the car), and my daughter said she prefers the Shelby's backseat better than the Tesla Model S, the Jeep, and the 911 cab's). Please don't judge me because I find the MGW not suitable for my "uses" of the car.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not judging you a all. I can only say that when tracked the benefits the MGW become readily apparent. Pushing the car on the street, especially with the wife and kids, just doesn't give much of an opportunity to exploit what is a much more rugged mechanism.

As to the reverse engagement...the stock design can and will bind, and the spring and collar can get hung up. There isn't much in terms of protection and can deflect when the unit is shifted aggressively such that you can get locked out of gear. MGW showed in a simple video exactly how this can happen. As for the MGW and shifting into reverse it does indeed require more effort. The design however is extremely robust and ensures that you have a preventative "wall" if you will that stops you from going to far gate-wise when shifting hard and fast.
Sponsored