Sponsored

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I was expecting to get stuck and had bought some tire socks (chains/cables were tough to get due to size/clearance). I didn't need them.

Where did you get the socks from and for how much? Been trying to find some.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
$228 for the 275s at Discount tire plus install. That's where I got mine last fall. Same price now...

Reactions: Ebm

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Dunno why everyone thinks P-zeros are shit. IMO they are a pretty good tire.
If they are hot, they are really good. Cooler temps and rain, not so good in my opinion. Nearly bald ones if heated aren't bad at the ds if you let some air out.

pjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WW 50th Anniv LE, '68 Merc Cougar, '17 GT350R
Where did you get the socks from and for how much? Been trying to find some.
I purchased them on Amazon for $109.

AutoSock
AutoSock 697 Size-697 Tire Chain Alternative

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
After my pilot super sport worn out, I switched to pilot sport AS3+ this spring, because I hate driving summer tires in transition seasons of Ohio, which counts for half of a year.

AS3+ are waaaaaayyyyyyy more comfortable and quite than my PSS. It's such a pleasure to cruise on highway with those.

However I hate to say this, they handle completely different, and I don't like AS3+'s mushy feels.

With PSS my mustang handles like a real sports car. Minimal body roll, super stable in corner till it's out of grip, and extremely sharp turning. It feels as if just the moment you think about turning, the car is already turning. But by the time when thread is almost all gone, it's somewhat a bit too paranoid on highway because it's extremely sensitive to your input. Super bumpy as well even though my tire size is 235/50/R18. Horrible experience when driving on Michigan highway.

With AS3+ the car feels more like a sedan, though very comfortable, but it's fuzzy with respect to your input. Lots of body roll in corner, and sometimes when the maneuver is too aggressive, it's feels almost as if the car kneels down on the outside wheels. I don't have much confident for high speed turning radius. I've tried different tire pressure settings but didn't change much. The tires are with 3000miles on it so they are way beyond "break-in" period.

The tires are with identical sizes so it should be a fair comparison. It's amazing how a set of tires totally change a car's characteristics.

It turned out I will move to San Diego for work so there is no transition seasons anymore, and I still have tons of rubbers with my AS3+. Darn it.

Sponsored

Kerninc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
I have a 2016 GT PP on stock wheels and I retired my P-zeros after about 2k miles.
I live in Indiana and drive my car year round so having a Hi Perf set of all seasons was a must and I chose the Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3+ and love them. This is probably personal preference but even on a hot dry summer day I like the Pilot sports better than the factory Pzero summer only tires which I found to be sub standard.
Running tires in stock 2016 GT PP sizes with plans to stay with this exact tire unless they update it again. I used the older Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my 2008 Bullitt mustang for 4 years and loved them compared to the BFGs it came with and is why I got the new revision for my 2016.

ps- these tires are pretty damn good in the snow for not being a dedicated snow tire

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine today in stock PP1 sizes as I'm keeping my stock wheels for colder months. They aren't cheap but ordering through ebay during 1 of their 15-20% off everything events or ebay bucks promotion it lower the cost by $100 or so and Mich has the $70/set rebate also.

jon2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP 401a TY
Any negatives with the Michelin pilot as3+ vs the Pirelli pzero summer tire on the performance package GTs?

I'm particularly concerned I'll lose the sharp steering response of the summer tires going to an all season.

What's the realistic life to be expected from the as3+? I'm only getting about 10-12k outta each rear set of pzeros.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
FWIW, when I bought the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's last October, there was a set of A/S3+'s on the shop floor right next to them. The tread on the A/S3+'s felt a tad softer than the Coopers, so I may go with them after the Coopers wear out. I'm really liking the Coopers so far, so I'll have to see if they start to suck at some point like my Yokohama's and Dunlop's did in the past.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I put the as3s on my 2015 Foundry wheels. 275s all around. I thought they actually stuck better than the Pirellis. The 4 s on the PP are quieter, but the AS3+ are very good tires. I thought they were a bit noisier than the 4s or the Pirellis. But, the Foundrys are 20" and the PP are 19" which have more sidewall. If you are looking for something to use in the colder weather the AS3+ are light years better than either of the summer tires, especially under 50F. No question. But for summer, warm use, the Michelin 4S are much better than the Pirelli summer tires.

Sponsored

jon2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP 401a TY
Hi GreenS550,

Do you have any specific handling differences you could mention between the pzeros and as3+? Is the steering response comparable to the pzeros? How many miles do you think can be expected from the as3+? Thanks

I put the as3s on my 2015 Foundry wheels. 275s all around. I thought they actually stuck better than the Pirellis. The 4 s on the PP are quieter, but the AS3+ are very good tires. I thought they were a bit noisier than the 4s or the Pirellis. But, the Foundrys are 20" and the PP are 19" which have more sidewall. If you are looking for something to use in the colder weather the AS3+ are light years better than either of the summer tires, especially under 50F. No question. But for summer, warm use, the Michelin 4S are much better than the Pirelli summer tires.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Much better wear. Handling was good. I switched between AS3+ on the foundry 20 inch wheels and pp1 on Michelin star 4s 19 inch wheels. Handling very similar but in the cooler temps the summer tires were like hockey pucks. Heated, the summer tires were marginally better. Summer tires very good heated at the track.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno why everyone thinks P-zeros are shit. IMO they are a pretty good tire.
I think ppl expect them to act like all seasons and they don't. The tread wears fast and they are slippery in cold weather... but that is a function of the design, the type of tire.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Any negatives with the Michelin pilot as3+ vs the Pirelli pzero summer tire on the performance package GTs?

I'm particularly concerned I'll lose the sharp steering response of the summer tires going to an all season.

What's the realistic life to be expected from the as3+? I'm only getting about 10-12k outta each rear set of pzeros.
I made that exact trade and have no regrets. In hot weather with the all seasons, you may not get quite the bite of the Pirelli summers, but to me they perform better for all around driving. That, when you consider the rears have good traction in the cold weather (especially when new), and the handling is great. Granted, I haven't pushed my car to the max, but with the way I drive I haven't perceived any sidewall roll or give that would make me lose confidence in their ability to hold the road. I taken some 25 mph curves at 40 and it hasn't stepped out on me or felt unstable.
Sponsored