Sponsored

Maintaining an Ecoboost Mustang

brown326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Possibly a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I am planning on buying a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost later this year. I'm completely new to the mustang community and was hoping to get a question answered. I read in a few articles that maintaining a turbocharged ecoboost was going to cost a bit more in maintenance and upkeep than it would if I bought the naturally aspirated GT. Is there any truth to that and if so how much of a difference are we talking? I'd be using the car for both daily driving and travel and want to keep it for quite a while. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I am planning on buying a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost later this year. I'm completely new to the mustang community and was hoping to get a question answered. I read in a few articles that maintaining a turbocharged ecoboost was going to cost a bit more in maintenance and upkeep than it would if I bought the naturally aspirated GT. Is there any truth to that and if so how much of a difference are we talking? I'd be using the car for both daily driving and travel and want to keep it for quite a while. Thanks in advance.
Who told you that hunk of crap? A GT owner? :lol:

Ecoboost is cheaper to maintain. It requires less spark plugs and wires and less oil.

Ford Mustang Ecoboost Maintenance Schedule Go here and fill out the information like how many miles you have. After you fill that out, it'll give you the maintenance schedule. Really easy maintenance on this car.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
If you don't tune it much, the engine should last you miles and miles. Just make sure you do your full synthetic oil changes every 8k miles, keep an eye on the coolant, plugs and don't floor it in 6th gear in the 1.5-2k rpm range.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Does it have intake carbonisation issue?

If yes, you'll need expensive cleaning once in a while.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Does it have intake carbonisation issue?

If yes, you'll need expensive cleaning once in a while.
The 2.3 is not known to have those issues. All DI engines are going to have carbon build up at some point but it does not necessarily mean that it is going to affect the performance. If you want peace of mind, then get a catch can and you will be golden.

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've had my EB for over a year and all the maintenance so far has been self-inflicted. IMO, it's a very reliable car.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've had my EB for over a year and all the maintenance so far has been self-inflicted. IMO, it's a very reliable car.
I owned one 4 cyl turbo DI engine for 6 years. Let's just say I will not buy one again.

I am really puzzled why people buy i4 di turbo to the point ford discontinues v6.

If engine carbonisation does not bother you, watch this:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why is it that when someone asks about an EcoBoost, some folks insist on posting “scary” out of context replies and have no facts being they didn’t own or never drove an EcoBoost?

That YouTube vid posted here discusses what can/did happen if pushing the limits of the stock EcoBoost block (over 800hp) - AND also if you’re going to post such threads or responses, everyone has to know that the 2.3 “EcoBoost” in the Mustang is not 100% the same as found in the other Ford product lines.

Here’s info coming from an actual EB owner - all facts:

I’m in a 2018 EB now, but my prior was a 2016 EB Premium w/PP. I bought it brand new it’s only (6) miles on it. Despite the numerous NON-ENGINE related warranty issues that resulted in the buy back, the only maintenance it needed was:
5k oil changes
Air filter (until I went with an Airaid intake system)
Cabin air filter
Tire rotations
Wiper blades 1x

So, I racked up almost 37k miles and NEVER once had ANY reliability issues with the ENGINE or the 6R80, at all. The factory installed spark plugs were never even looked at once... I also never installed any “catch cans”, nor did I ever need to have any type of “expensive” carbonization Service maintenance...

The car always ran on 89 octane, without issues.

Never had ANY issues with detonation or pinging when forcibly accelerating the car from 6th gear into a lower gear whether manually doing it via paddle shifts or letting the trans do it (despite all of the posts on this site as to how if doing that on a daily basis, you’re damned to have an engine explosion)....

The engine was stout, really strong and it pulled hard without ever an issue in function or performance!

Don’t let folks scare you... and most of the popped engines were early ones (2015) or those that were “tuned” by x-Tuning software other than the Ford Tune AND by those who really pushed the EB limitations. If you’re going to play, better have the $$$ to pay when there’s a catastrophic event that won’t be covered under warranty.

Can you get a bum engine? Sure! But it’s not an epidemic as some make it out to be on this site and you really need to take some of it with a grain of salt...

Oh and one more,thing - this owner has also owned his fair share of Mustang V8’s, plus (2) original SVO’s and the new 2018 brings me to a total of (20) Mustangs I’ve owned, including my 94 Cobra...

So, my reply to you or others interested in buying an EB is not coming from someone who’s biased or blowing smoke out my ass by posting irrelevant information.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Why is it that when someone asks about an EcoBoost, some folks insist on posting “scary” out of context replies and have no facts being they didn’t own or never drove an EcoBoost?

That YouTube vid posted here discusses what can/did happen if pushing the limits of the stock EcoBoost block (over 800hp) - AND also if you’re going to post such threads or responses, everyone has to know that the 2.3 “EcoBoost” in the Mustang is not 100% the same as found in the other Ford product lines.

Here’s info coming from an actual EB owner - all facts:

I’m in a 2018 EB now, but my prior was a 2016 EB Premium w/PP. I bought it brand new it’s only (6) miles on it. Despite the numerous NON-ENGINE related warranty issues that resulted in the buy back, the only maintenance it needed was:
5k oil changes
Air filter (until I went with an Airaid intake system)
Cabin air filter
Tire rotations
Wiper blades 1x

So, I racked up almost 37k miles and NEVER once had ANY reliability issues with the ENGINE or the 6R80, at all. The factory installed spark plugs were never even looked at once... I also never installed any “catch cans”, nor did I ever need to have any type of “expensive” carbonization Service maintenance...

The car always ran on 89 octane, without issues.

Never had ANY issues with detonation or pinging when forcibly accelerating the car from 6th gear into a lower gear whether manually doing it via paddle shifts or letting the trans do it (despite all of the posts on this site as to how if doing that on a daily basis, you’re damned to have an engine explosion)....

The engine was stout, really strong and it pulled hard without ever an issue in function or performance!

Don’t let folks scare you... and most of the popped engines were early ones (2015) or those that were “tuned” by x-Tuning software other than the Ford Tune AND by those who really pushed the EB limitations. If you’re going to play, better have the $$$ to pay when there’s a catastrophic event that won’t be covered under warranty.

Can you get a bum engine? Sure! But it’s not an epidemic as some make it out to be on this site and you really need to take some of it with a grain of salt...

Oh and one more,thing - this owner has also owned his fair share of Mustang V8’s, plus (2) original SVO’s and the new 2018 brings me to a total of (20) Mustangs I’ve owned, including my 94 Cobra...

So, my reply to you or others interested in buying an EB is not coming from someone who’s biased or blowing smoke out my ass by posting irrelevant information.
Agree on block cracking being extreme case. I actually (very unfortunately) experienced that on non turbo and non abused car I owned previously. So, pardon me, I will stay away from engines that have any tendency to that and will warn people I know about that. Cause engine replacement was very expensive for me.

I also experienced engine carbonisation situation on another turbo di engine I owned. It was also not cheap.

Here's nice video on di engine carbonisation. And unlike engine block cracking it is more real than you think.

Sponsored