Sponsored

Mods for Mustang V6

TAC3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2017
Hey i have a 2017 mustang v6 with roush axelback (not for power just for sound) a x pipe, drop in k&n filter, and MPT 93 oct tune. beside gears and porting intakes that I want to avoid for the moment because the difficulty of installation, what other mods will be good for adding power?

The next mod on my list are shorty headers.

Any other good suggestions.

Thanks for the answers.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Shorties won't add much power really from what I've seen, go with longtubes but then you'll probably want to adjust your exhaust for it too. Gears would be the biggest change I think though, maybe a torque converter too.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
And it is a dumb ass mod that nobody here wants to read.

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Get a better throttle body. I dropped in the BBK 73mm last week. Easy install and I definitely feel more power at lower speeds. Some 6G members have also put on the GT throttle body with an adaptor.

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you traded in your stock tires for better ones?

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I have Shorty headers they help a little bit they are great for sound definitely flow better than stock manifold . Long tube would be louder and produce more power all depends on your personal preference

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Hey i have a 2017 mustang v6 with roush axelback (not for power just for sound) a x pipe, drop in k&n filter, and MPT 93 oct tune. beside gears and porting intakes that I want to avoid for the moment because the difficulty of installation, what other mods will be good for adding power?

The next mod on my list are shorty headers.

Any other good suggestions.

Thanks for the answers.
Are you installing the headers yourself? Reason I ask - I installed shorty headers on my '17 V6 and I plan on doing ported upper and lower intake manifolds shortly - and I can tell you the intake manifold install is easier / faster than the header install.

The header install wasn't "hard" but that's relative I guess....since I've done long tubes on multiple 4th Gen F-Bodys in the past and compared to that job, the shorty header job on my car was cake.

Rule of thumb is that long tubes will be more suited to picking up power on the top end and shorty headers will pick up power in the low / middle range - by design. The thing to watch out for long tubes on the 3.7 is issues with moving / extending the O2 sensors and whether or not you'll end up using defoulers or extenders to get rid of possible O2 sensor codes. You also have to consider, with long tubes, what you are going to do was far as exhaust from the headers to integrate into your current exhaust.

Purely subjective - but your personal preference on sounds (loudness) and whether or not you are sensitive to drone in your exhaust system - all that will be part of the process when choosing components when installing long tube headers. I say it's subjective, because I've heard plenty of 3.7 and 5.0 cars that the majority of people seem to really like how they sound, and personally I couldn't stand how they sounded.

Also gears are right up there with tune - on a mod you can FEEL and get the most benefit from everyday you drive your car. Adding 3.55 cars to my car was a HUGE improvement.

The install does not have to be complicated or hard. Find a used complete rear differential from another mustang. That's what I and several others here have done. The install at that point is very straight forward.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
1. Gears by far - bid on an eBay auction, usually shelby, for a full gear housing. It's a simple install way since the gears are already installed in the housing.

2. GT takeoff throttle body w/adapter - super cheap to do.

3. Suspension - none of what u do will matter unless ur suspension hooks up that power to the ground. Get a good set of springs, shocks, and struts. Then tie it in with the BMR cradle lockout kit. These are your bang for your buck upgrades. An easy route is buying a PP suspension takeoff from a GT or ecoboost owner who upgraded.

4. Headers and Intake - there are Chinese knockoffs u can buy in the header department. They aren't bad at all, or go the BBK route. Intakes are whatever u like and honestly aren't a super improvement over stock, but they look good and sound great.

Sponsored

kodypiccirilli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Twin Turbo Mustang V6
The SellIt&GetaGT mod adds a lot of power.

That's not the question at hand. Stay out of v6 forums if you aren't going to help.

I would say without spending a lot of $$$, you are just about maxed out on power. The stock cats are very restrictive and can add some power if you get rid of them.

OP
OP

TAC3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V6 2017
Shorty headers are on my list of next mods.

I’m inclining on swapping gears but the cost a difficulty is what have me on the fence.
And for the gears for a automática v6 will 3.73 or 4.09 will be better for peformance without sacrificing the comfort of a daily drive car.

And the throttle body of a 5.0 sounds interesting. Does it’s need an adapter and will it fit with the stock CAI? And will it gain power with stock CAI and without ported intakes.

Thank you all for yours responses had been of great help.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=33960]TAC3.7[/MENTION] the throttle body requires an adapter and different tubing, I think a lot of the guys end up doing a CAI at the same time too. Thread on that.

For the gears, I'm not sure if it's been answered whether or not 3.73s will still swap right in without needing some equivalent of the whipple flare tool to correct for it, but 3.55s should go right in. The two options you put will go faster, but sacrifice fuel efficiency and would be at a higher RPM for a given speed in comparison to the 3.15s you have right now. So if those affect your comfort idea, then yes it sacrifices. Also worth pointing out that 3.73s have a different housing (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that won't swap right in for our cars. You'd need the 3.55 housing and swap the 373s in then install.

[MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION] has a ported throttle body on his instead of the GT and had a good impression of it. BTW, what were the part numbers for the PP sway bars/bushings you ordered?

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=33960]TAC3.7[/MENTION] the throttle body requires an adapter and different tubing, I think a lot of the guys end up doing a CAI at the same time too. Thread on that.

For the gears, I'm not sure if it's been answered whether or not 3.73s will still swap right in without needing some equivalent of the whipple flare tool to correct for it, but 3.55s should go right in. The two options you put will go faster, but sacrifice fuel efficiency and would be at a higher RPM for a given speed in comparison to the 3.15s you have right now. So if those affect your comfort idea, then yes it sacrifices. Also worth pointing out that 3.73s have a different housing (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) that won't swap right in for our cars. You'd need the 3.55 housing and swap the 373s in then install.

[MENTION=32548]ctandc72[/MENTION] has a ported throttle body on his instead of the GT and had a good impression of it. BTW, what were the part numbers for the PP sway bars/bushings you ordered?
PP front swaybar - comes with the brackets / bushings
FR3Z-5482-B

Rear Bar
FR3Z-5A772-C

Bushings ( you need 2 - same LH and RH you use your factory bushing brackets)
FR3Z-5493-C

Fairwayfordparts.net
$105 + shipping

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The difference for the gears is the actual differential inside the housing. In other words, the diff that comes with our OEM 3.15 gears will not work with lower (numerically higher) gears. You can order a compatible differential, then the gears + install stuff.

Cheaper and easier to hunt around and find a used take off complete rear end or pumpkin - bolts right in place of your stock unit.
Sponsored