Sponsored

"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The new Wixom Tremec plant is gearing up to start producing DCT's in late 2018. They are still staffing and just beginning to bring in some equipment. They have a long way to go.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
maybe in some odd chance ford might set off production on the 2020 GT500 at the start of June and run only it for a month to build as many GT500s as possible in order to put out a good 5000 of them for the calendar year 2019. if that's the case, maybe, just maybe a couple thousand regular Joe's may get one before year 2020.

I'm setting on the sidelines, gonna watch it all unfold this round. good things come to those who wait ;)

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Obviously you and I are not even close to being on the same page with respect to mass produced factory muscle cars from the 60's versus the list of cars that you provided which were all hand built cars and for the most part set up specifically for racing.

I certainly agree that the list of cars that you provided were outstanding automobiles but not one of them was a mass produced factory production car with all of them being hand built vehicles by Shelby American with I believe 3 of those cars coming not with a Ford VIN but with a Shelby VIN.

When it comes to mass produced muscle cars from the early to mid 60's Ford had a difficult time keeping pace with the Hemi street cars and big block Corvettes in '65 and '66 and until the 428CJ came out in the Spring of 1968 Ford did not do well on the streets.

I have been a loyal Ford enthusiast for 5 decades and will continue to be but when it came to factory produced muscle cars in the early to mid 60's Ford certainly struggled even with their 428 Police Interceptor engines.

:cheers:
I agree with you on Fords lack of being competitive in the early to mid 60s due mostly to the vehicle that was chosen to represent Ford at the events (very large and heavy Galaxies) but Ford wasn't sitting on their hands either, they made changes through out those years to include light weight panels etc, you seem to keep referring to the 428s when in fact there were many engines prior to the CJs like the 406 tri powers, 410s and the low, medium, high riser and tunnel port 427s that, even in the BIG Galaxies gave great competition to the rivals, now, I wasn't around during this time but have LOVED Fords forever. One last thing, the actual fastest muscle car from the 50s, 60s and 70s was in fact the 427 Cobra STOMPING ALL COMPETITION! https://myclassicgarage.com/social/posts/29467-the-list-top-50-quickest-muscle-cars :cheers:
Apparently Venom was killing Demons back then too.

Last edited:

2nazty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500 & 2008 GT/CS Shelby clone
Obviously you and I are not even close to being on the same page with respect to mass produced factory muscle cars from the 60's versus the list of cars that you provided which were all hand built cars and for the most part set up specifically for racing.

I certainly agree that the list of cars that you provided were outstanding automobiles but not one of them was a mass produced factory production car with all of them being hand built vehicles by Shelby American with I believe 3 of those cars coming not with a Ford VIN but with a Shelby VIN.

:cheers:
Shelby has never had its own seperate VIN, Shelby issues a CSM number to its vehicles which is in addition to the Ford (or whomever the original manufacturer was ex. Dodge for the Shelby Daytona) VIN number. I believe that even the original Shelby Cobra roadster retained the Ace VIN from the original body and was issued a CSM number stamped on a tag. the only Ford-centric tuner/builder I have seen to ever build a car from scratch is Saleen with the S7 supercar, even in that example they used a Ford V8 but the rest of the car was Saleen designed and manufactured, so I imagine in that case Saleen would have its own VIN for the S7

I will say that a good point was brought up, the 427 Cobra was way faster than any Mopar or GM on the street, and could technically be counted as a Ford effort given the amount of engineering support and money Shelby recieved from Ford in those days, the relationship is essentially the same as Roush Industries has today with Ford

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Shelby has never had its own seperate VIN, Shelby issues a CSM number to its vehicles which is in addition to the Ford (or whomever the original manufacturer was ex. Dodge for the Shelby Daytona) VIN number. I believe that even the original Shelby Cobra roadster retained the Ace VIN from the original body and was issued a CSM number stamped on a tag. the only Ford-centric tuner/builder I have seen to ever build a car from scratch is Saleen with the S7 supercar, even in that example they used a Ford V8 but the rest of the car was Saleen designed and manufactured, so I imagine in that case Saleen would have its own VIN for the S7

I will say that a good point was brought up, the 427 Cobra was way faster than any Mopar or GM on the street, and could technically be counted as a Ford effort given the amount of engineering support and money Shelby recieved from Ford in those days, the relationship is essentially the same as Roush Industries has today with Ford
With all due respect when Shelby American started building Cobra's and the GT350 cars in Venice and later at buildings 8 & 9 at LAX Shelby American were considered a manufacturer therefore they came up with their own VIN series and it was not CSM as you indicated but is was:

Cobra VIN's - CSX (Carroll Shelby Experimental) XXXXX

GT350 VIN's - SFM (Shelby Ford Mustang) XXXXX

The above cars were titled and registered with the above VIN series and not the Ford VIN or AC VIN that you indicated.

Also, it should be noted that the first 33 GT350 cars for the 1965MY did not indicate either an "S" for street or "R" for Race in the VIN with those designations coming with car number 34 and on.

The exception to that was the first 3 prototype cars (2 R models and 1 Street model) received the S and R's well after production.

Can't speak to the Dodge Shelby's with respect to VIN's but certainly can tell you that SA had its own VIN series with the cars registered under the Shelby American VIN's.

I certainly agree that the 260/289/427/428 Cobra's were very fast back in the day but to call one of these automobiles a Ford is certainly a stretch for me and many based on the AC body along with all of the engineering that Carroll Shelby/Chuck Cantwell and the SA Team put into these cars.

;)

Sponsored

2nazty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500 & 2008 GT/CS Shelby clone
With all due respect when Shelby American started building Cobra's and the GT350 cars in Venice and later at buildings 8 & 9 at LAX Shelby American were considered a manufacturer therefore they came up with their own VIN series and it was not CSM as you indicated but is was:

Cobra VIN's - CSX (Carroll Shelby Experimental) XXXXX

GT350 VIN's - SFM (Shelby Ford Mustang) XXXXX

The above cars were titled and registered with the above VIN series and not the Ford VIN or AC VIN that you indicated.

Also, it should be noted that the first 33 GT350 cars for the 1965MY did not indicate either an "S" for street or "R" for Race in the VIN with those designations coming with car number 34 and on.

The exception to that was the first 3 prototype cars (2 R models and 1 Street model) received the S and R's well after production.

Can't speak to the Dodge Shelby's with respect to VIN's but certainly can tell you that SA had its own VIN series with the cars registered under the Shelby American VIN's.

I certainly agree that the 260/289/427/428 Cobra's were very fast back in the day but to call one of these automobiles a Ford is certainly a stretch for me and many based on the AC body along with all of the engineering that Carroll Shelby/Chuck Cantwell and the SA Team put into these cars.

;)
I stand corrected on CSX numbers, CSM's are what they do now for current Shelby vehicles modified off of Mustangs and F150's

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Nope, it doesn't necessarily have to have more power than an AFTERMARKET "not regulated" supercharged Mustang GT :(

It's going to be a DCT... at least that's what the latest rumors suggest (I don't remember who was the one who called it, about being a DCT after the picture of the new brakes that someone uploaded it. Also, the rumors about the Tremec plant not ready to deliver the DCT's just yet and that being one of the reasons of the GT500 delay).
So,.....what you're saying Jeff, is that I should place my order for a 2019 Admiral Blue Z06/Z07 now?!?! lol
:D

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
So,.....what you're saying Jeff, is that I should place my order for a 2019 Admiral Blue Z06/Z07 now?!?! lol
:D
Well... why not? The Z06 is a hell of a machine and it would do the work while the GT500 arrives :lol:

I would wait for the GT500 though.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Well... why not? The Z06 is a hell of a machine and it would do the work while the GT500 arrives :lol:
I would wait for the GT500 though.
lol
Thing is, I'm dead serious. :D I'll have to email the top 3 dealerships with exactly what I want and see what they can do for me. "IF" I can afford it, I'm ordering one. Hope to have it just in time for summer. Again, "IF" I can afford it. lol All depends on the discount and trade-in on my car.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
don't strap yourself Tony, your car is still. :clap2::hail::clap2:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
don't strap yourself Tony, your car is still. :clap2::hail::clap2:
lol
Thanks Jim, I appreciate that.:thumbsup:
I'm definitely not going to bury myself. If I can do it, fine, if not,.....back to the drawing board. lol

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hear you, I just about pulled the trigger on a beautiful low mileage blue 06 GT last night. I was sooo close but decided I'm just gonna hold off.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I have been talking to SA. Very close to pulling the trigger on an 18 wide body Super Snake. Have been trying my damnedest to hold out but don't see any damn light at the end of the tunnel! Waiting on either the GT500 or ME Vette was the plan but it looks like it would take almost two years to get either one acutely in the garage at this point. Been without a ride for to long now getting harder to hold out! Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I have been talking to SA. Very close to pulling the trigger on an 18 wide body Super Snake. Have been trying my damnedest to hold out but don't see any damn light at the end of the tunnel! Waiting on either the GT500 or ME Vette was the plan but it looks like it would take almost two years to get either one acutely in the garage at this point. Been without a ride for to long now getting harder to hold out! Any thoughts?
Yeah, that's a tough call.
I'm not too crazy about the widebody Super Snake to be honest. No offense. Not sure that car is worth the money they are asking. For exclusivity it definitely is. Not sure the performance is up to par for the dollar.
Maybe buy a 2018 PP car and build the balls out of it? I've thought about that as well. Could get a really nice loaded GT and have some killer power and torque with it. Build up the suspension and call it a day. :ford: :thumbsup:
Whipple has the supercharger out now which is killer. I'm waiting to see what VMP brings us with the TVS. I'm sure it's nasty as well.
Sponsored