Sponsored

First Autox With my GT

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
New to the site, bought my car in July of 2017, got some break in miles on it, and then took it to the track. Still had paper plates and hadn't even made a payment on the car yet lol.

I went with a few friends with a local corvette club at the Grissom Aeroplex in Peru Indiana. Costs $80 for two days, and its a heck of a fun time. This was one of my better runs of the weekend. My car is a non-pp, and had stock 235 all season tires on it. Over the winter I changed wheels and tires and went with a wider tire with hopefully more grip. Cant wait for winter to be over to get back out there

[ame]

I wound up running about a second behind my friend and his 2012 grand sport, which I thought was pretty amazing considering the capability of the C6 vettes. I'm hoping I can get some better times in than him this year lol.
Sponsored

FabTbird

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looks like fun to me.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
That's a damn good time for a stock GT against a C6 GS Vette. You looked like you'd done that many times before, didn't seem to be over driving the car into the corners which is what most new folks tend to do. Once you get comfy with the parking lot stuff you'll have to try an HPDE day. More fun X many times over.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
That's a damn good time for a stock GT against a C6 GS Vette. You looked like you'd done that many times before, didn't seem to be over driving the car into the corners which is what most new folks tend to do. Once you get comfy with the parking lot stuff you'll have to try an HPDE day. More fun X many times over.

I appreciate it. I’ll be honest, this was the first time autocrossing in about 8 years, but I love performance type driving so I do my best to have fun and do well with it. I’m surprised how well I was able to do on all season tires though. I’m hoping the new wheel/tire purchase pays off this year.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I like how the course had painted lines and not relying only on cones. I've never AutoX'd but with no lines some of those courses look very confusing.

Nice run.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's a really fun course, really lets the high HP cars flex their muscles. I've gotta get out to Peru sometime when the Chicago SCCA/TSSCC goes there. Nice driving.

OP
OP

17LightningGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I like how the course had painted lines and not relying only on cones. I've never AutoX'd but with no lines some of those courses look very confusing.

Nice run.

It does make it easier for sure, but honestly, if you take the first few runs slow and learn the course, you don't even use the lines as a reference.

That's a really fun course, really lets the high HP cars flex their muscles. I've gotta get out to Peru sometime when the Chicago SCCA/TSSCC goes there. Nice driving.
I enjoy it a lot more than a compact parking lot without a doubt.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Lovely stuff...inspiration for a autocross noob like myself.

Going on first run tomorrow :cheers:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Lovely stuff...inspiration for a autocross noob like myself.

Going on first run tomorrow :cheers:
You probably already have read this but the single most important thing to have a good time is walk the course as many times as possible focusing on just remembering it. Visualize it in your mind as well. Try not to talk much while walking the course so you can focus your memory.

Have a great time. It's a lot of fun but the waiting around can test your patience at times.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Nice run.
You get used to it. And besides, the number one rule about racing? Look ahead, look ahead, look ahead. :thumbsup:
Sponsored