Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Kia Stinger GT

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually I have to be honest...no. But I won't sit here and say the Stinger isn't an excellent product. What Kia really needs to do is do what Hyundai did with Genesis. Break something off for a performance or more focused side of Kia.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
My biggest worry with Kia is dealing with service departments.

However, making friends with the service manager would probably work there also.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I've had a Jetta, Passat, A6, A8, 3 A8Ls, and S8. I never had an issue with any of them. They were extremely reliable and maintenance was no different than any other car.
How long did you own these cars?

If you haven't owned a German car outside of a warranty or past 60k miles then I don't think you can truly speak for their reliability. German cars are problematic and parts are not cheap. It's not just internet rhetoric.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Kia = reliable? :crazy:
Yes. I’ve had two modern Kias with ZERO issues. The only car that I’ve had that’s been as good as them is my 2017 Lexus. And that’s going to the dealer tomorrow for a rear suspension creak and the metal roof popping and cracking in the cold. Do a little research and drive one. If you want to say they were crap before, I agree. But so was Ford in the same era. Just ask people who owned a 96-99 Taurus how many times their transmissions exploded. And don’t forget Ford’s amazing iron block 3.0 L V6 Vulcan engine with upwards of 140 horsepower :crazy:

I test drove an AWD GT2 Stinger a few days ago when it warmed up to about 60. Oh good lord was that thing fast. And it handled like it was on rails. There is a bright yellow on black RWD GT2 sitting on the lot right now. If it’s there after I close on my house in two weeks, bye bye mustang.

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've recently test driven a Stinger GTS (the UK equivalent of a fully loaded GT2 in North America). To cut a story in half, its a fantastic car. They hit 12.7s on the quarter reliably (albeit that's for the RWD version), and engine power is linear and strong despite being turbo charged. Look great, feel great, go great, can corner pretty handily as well on the Continentals we get over this side of the pond.

As for the guy getting bent out of shape over reliability; Kia was voted joint first with Volvo for reliability in Europe, and the Stinger has already won UK car of the year in the executive category and is close to winning European car of the year, too.

I wouldn't honestly downgrade yourself to a Ford Fusion (which is sold here as the Ford Mondeo) and its GM counterpart the Buick Regal GS (Vauxhall Insignia GSi). They're good cars but in the class below, and still predominantly front wheel driven vehicles where the Stinger has a rear bias.

That's my 2p on it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes. I’ve had two modern Kias with ZERO issues.
Not much of a sample size, but I'm glad you had good luck with them.

Maybe if Kia starts making an inexpensive 2 door, V8, front engine or mid engine, RWD, manual transmission car that I think looks good I will drive one. If I can't get a V8, manual transmission and RWD I'm not interested, though.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not much of a sample size, but I'm glad you had good luck with them.

Maybe if Kia starts making an inexpensive 2 door, V8, front engine or mid engine, RWD, manual transmission car that I think looks good I will drive one. If I can't get a V8, manual transmission and RWD I'm not interested, though.
I love the Stinger, but it's this for sure. I'm not worried about the doors, but I (for whatever reason) need a manual transmission, V8, and RWD in a car I'm going to own.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I just don't see this car holding value like 99% of other cars in that price range. I could be wrong though.

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
I just don't see this car holding value like 99% of other cars in that price range. I could be wrong though.
Check residuals on cars like it’s competitive set from BMW and Audi. They drop damned fast too. About the only cars that hold value well are the Toyota Tacoma, anything lexus, the Jeep Wrangler, and some Subarus.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but KIA.

Sponsored

carcinoid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (sold)
Yeah, but KIA.
Yeah, but Ford.

Your opinion is not for me to change. And it’s obvious you’ve made up your mind and don’t want to budge. And that’s cool. It’ll just save for amazing cars for the rest of us :D

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford wasn't part of it. The comparison was made between Audi and BMW.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Yeah, but KIA.
Love how people think today's KIA name is a detriment. KIAs are reliable as hell. The Optima's are nice and built well. Can't say the same my Focus ST which was a rattle box and misaligned hatch from day one.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
The Kia is most likely a really good reliable quick car. I just know when I see one driving along the road the emotion I feel will be pity.

Not admiration or envy or joy, just a glum pity.
You know there are many who would think the same about a Mustang.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Test drove a Stinger GT. Car is fantastic. It’s not going to sell well, though. It’s not because of the performance, it’s not because of the handling, it’s certainly not the price point... it’s exactly because of what’s been demonstrated already in this thread; those Kia badges on the car. No one who buys any of the cars it’s competing against (3/4 series, S4/S5, C43) are going to leave those brands to step into a Kia just because it’s $10-12k cheaper when optioned out. However, I believe this Stinger GT is the start of something, more a proof-of-concept and not exactly meant to be a sales hit.

Now, compared to a 2018 GT? Well, the GT performs better, handles better and is cheaper. Unless you really want the extra luxury features or the family-based practicality, the Mustang, IMO, wins. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: