Sponsored

Installed Eibach sport springs on gt pp and feels kinda off

Rudy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt PP
Hey guys.
Well i recently had installed eibach springs with camber bolts as well, and well it doesnt feel right.
Makes me want to get rid of the slrings altogether and put back on the original Performance pack springs the car came with

Now, this is my first time putting springs on a car, so maybe whats missing are other parts? Idk. Some input would be greatly appreciated.

The car now feels too bouncy with the springs...when driving i also feel the same swaying a lil every once in a while...as if wind is pushing against the car..
Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
My guess is the new spring rate is too much for the stock dampers. I know the pp dampers are supposed to be better than the base model version, but it's been my experience with previous generations that the stock shocks are marginal at best. I have no reason to think Ford is doing anything different with the S550 dampers and the Eibach springs do increase the spring rate.

Springs and dampers work best in matched sets, too little dampening ends up feeling bouncy and floaty, which is obviously not what you expect or want in new springs. IMO, you should upgrade your shocks/struts to something like Koni's or Bilstein to better control those Eibach springs, or you could swap those springs for a set with a rate better matched to your pp shocks. IIRC, Steeda's progressive lowering springs have fairly soft initial rate that increases under compression to be just a little firmer than oem pp springs, they'd probably work better with your pp shocks.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You're going to need new shocks. Those spring rates aren't designed to work with the PP shocks. This is why I went the BMR route since I wanted to keep my shocks.

chowman90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I also went with BMR SP080 set. Also added the Steeda Camber plates as well. No probs yet.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Alignment will help but you really need different shocks for those springs.

OP
OP

Rudy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt PP
My guess is the new spring rate is too much for the stock dampers. I know the pp dampers are supposed to be better than the base model version, but it's been my experience with previous generations that the stock shocks are marginal at best. I have no reason to think Ford is doing anything different with the S550 dampers and the Eibach springs do increase the spring rate.

Springs and dampers work best in matched sets, too little dampening ends up feeling bouncy and floaty, which is obviously not what you expect or want in new springs. IMO, you should upgrade your shocks/struts to something like Koni's or Bilstein to better control those Eibach springs, or you could swap those springs for a set with a rate better matched to your pp shocks. IIRC, Steeda's progressive lowering springs have fairly soft initial rate that increases under compression to be just a little firmer than oem pp springs, they'd probably work better with your pp shocks.
Thanks for your reply.
And yea, i expected it to probably be the shocks and struts that need changing.
I also need to do the alingment..have it booked for friday.
Any recommendations for camber settings?or others?
Thanks again

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also say consider getting your alignment done before you make any other decisions. Could just be that causing it to drive off to you. Did you cut/change your bumpstops? If you didn't, I'm sure you're riding on those like I was when I first did my suspension changes.
[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION]'s adjustable bumpstops is what I put on my car.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Im having the alingment done on friday..
And no, still haven't done shocks and struts.
What do you think of these?
The “wind” feeling you’re experiencing is most likely toe-out in your alignment. Toe-out is a natural reaction in the suspension when lowering the car. Getting a proper alignment with a 0 to .12 toe-in will resolve things (or at least help greatly).

[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] is absolutely right with ensuring your bump stops are proper. I believe Eibach springs come with new bump stops...did you install these? Did you trim your stock bits?

Lastly, shocks and struts. The Koni’s you mentioned will for sure help, but frankly may be more than what you need (both performance and price wise). Explore the forum for other options and opinions; I’ll always recommend Steeda pro-actions as I know they’re great from personal experience.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Before you complain about the setup, get an alignment. You just dumped the car... and installed camber bolts - your front alignment is probably all over the place.

I know numerous people with Sportlines and factory PP dampers and they are happy.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION] is absolutely right with ensuring your bump stops are proper. I believe Eibach springs come with new bump stops...did you install these? Did you trim your stock bits?
I was riding bump stops even with the Eibach ones on instead :shrug:

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
If it's what I think it is I might be able to help out. If you did the drop, I'm guessing you did it in your garage off of jack stands. If so, you probably had the suspension at full droop when you tighten everything up. Am I right? The problem is your suspension is binding and not working properly. I'm almost certain if you measure from the ground up to the top of your fender wells they will all be uneven from the suspension not settling properly. What you need to do is the following, prior to getting the alignment have the guy drive the car onto the lift and raise it. Then loosen all the control arm bolts so that the car settles down to ride height. Then torque all bolts TO SPECS and proceed with alignment. I contacted BMR when I was having the same issue and they were the ones that told me what might be the problem. Sure enough that was it.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just out of curiosity did you do the springs for looks or performance? If it was for performance you may want to look at the FP X or Y springs.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Oh yeah, bump stops... get the Steeda bump stop kit and use the shorter tier. That helps.
Sponsored