Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I think this car is going to surprise everyone and be less than ~3800 lbs. It was caught benchmarking the GT3; the spoiler looks similar to the Cayman GT4. The other aero bits (hood vents, front air ducts) show that their engineers are really working on making a great sports car. Only downside is that I think the MSRP is going to be around $75k with a ~10 k dealer markup to start out.
Less than 3800lb? Now, that’s funny :lol::lol::lol:

Indeed, as is its goal.
Very fast indeed.

and two important questions are still unanswered
auto trans?
convertable?
DCT transmission (my brother was reclutant to tell me whether the manual will be offered or not)

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
This is entirely speculative, but what if the S650 platform was cancelled because a heavily revised version of the s550 platform was developed for the GT500, and the weight savings and performance improvements were so impressive that it was decided that it made more sense to use it for the next generation...
I thought about this as a possibility as well. It’s inevitable that the mustang and cars in general must get lighter, much of which needs to come from finding ways to lighten the platform. And starting it with a halo version and progressing it forward to future mustangs could make some sense.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
A couple/few/multiple humble opinions:

1) The headlights make me sad. Wish they’d have done something special with the lights. Not the refresh, but definitely not the old model. It’s understandable with a 350 carryover. Not cool with a new model.

8) The teaser video is fun in a very 90s way, but it also looks a bit rushed? /anyone else who works on these kinds of things feel free to chime in. I’m specifically referencing some of the ray tracing and effects - especially the paint peeling off the old car (snake shedding its skin). Had a very unfinished feel to it. Wondering if they felt pushed to release this early or if the marketing team just had too much on its plate. Definitely have their hands full at the moment.

This car is going to be awesome.

I love the "floating headlights" and how they're surrounded by the intakes/coolers - clearly there's a lot of Ford GT design language at play here (basing this on what I could pick out from the video and Ace's slick rendering).

The Demon video had the same sort of "low budget" look and feel - it's probably just the acceptable fidelity level in the car industry, specifically in the context of a preview video.

Agreed. :cheers:

Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Vents

Thank God, pre 18 headlights is the first thing I thought....well after I picked my jaw off the floor. And That vented hood....Damn it I'm gonna want this! Cool promo video too!
Went by so fast, I at first thought it had rear window louvers with a spine.

What is there, and what I thought I saw!
E4F1C35A-C22E-44FF-A067-7E627ADCD89B.jpeg
517D8082-7313-4709-8AE3-C7095AEF5BFA.jpeg

Last edited:

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
I for one don't give a frack about the Demon. You can already tell from the teaser this is going to be a more well rounded car. The Demon is a side show! You notice you have not heard much of anything since the cars have started being delivered. A one trick pony is just that and in a street car that would get old really quick! If it's your cup of tea enjoy. I'm just glad Ford didn't go that route.

Well said, as the owner of a 2017 GT350, I realize there are faster cars out there and don't care. Many years ago I learned that no matter how fast your ride is - there is always someone faster. Personally, every time I see a Challenger I feel sorry for the owner having to deal with such a huge, clunky looking ride, no matter how fast it is n a straight line.

I enjoy the GT350 for what it is a well balanced, bad assed looking, unique sounding canyon/track carver. It truly is an amazing ride and I'm not about to trade it. Is the GT500 tempting, of course, but being one to not pay over MSRP, I'm not thinking I'll be in the market for at GT500 for several years. I do applaud Ford for developing this new Shelby and hope it's awesome in every detail!!

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Lights

Looks like the rear of a Vette.
0CF0EFCC-2707-4499-B0E1-5DEF020DBFE8.png
E45F82ED-420D-4454-8EC1-71E6C2D60B4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
Looks like the rear of a Vette.
The view of the lights in this picture says that the front fenders have been widened and that means bigger meats on the front as well as the back which should make track guys happy.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If the consensus is that this will be approximately a 750 HP, 4k lb car, then I hate to say it, but it's really kinda going to put it into the small performance space between the ZL1 and the Hellcat Widebody. It might be the top dog of those two cars on the track (evenly matched on the strip), but there won't be enough of a difference to make people say, "Damn, I gotta have the GT500!"

If anything, I think this becomes a "manufacturer favorite" war - Dodge guys are gonna want the HC, Chevy boys will claim the ZL1 (and don't forget the mid-engined Vette), and Ford fans are going to stick with the GT500.

In other words, I don't see the mass appeal of the 500 that the GT350 created among ALL car enthusiasts - that car pulled in drivers of all makes - Porsche, Chevrolet, Nissan, Dodge, you name it. I hope I'm wrong.

Is it a badass car? No doubt! Is it a little late to the game. Absolutely.
Try 4100lbs and 720HP car. It will be fast with the DCT, but really, 4100 lbs and they are trying to make it a track car? I'm interested to see how it stacks up on a track. Just look up the guys that own ZL1's with the auto transmission, and it will be 100lbs+ less than the GT500. Do they like to track it hard? Sure, the DCT will be more fun and faster, but its not going to be a manual. Will ford offer the manual for sure? Maybe in the R model and that will help the experience a bit, for some.

Personally, I don't like GM, but look, the mid engine car they are building is going to be spectacular and will be able to be bought for the same price as this GT500. For a track car, the ME will kill this GT500, in feel and excitement, even though maybe only 500HP. 3400lbs, weight right where it should be and a DCT also. Gonna be hard to pass that baby up. It may be where I switch brands for the first time, but I would wait for the 750HP version to come before i bite.

Welcome to the internet and life in 2018, where people love the idea that someone else might be unhappy. I've noticed the same trend - and basically, those people have no idea what a car-guy is...just look-at-me douchebags who would love the opportunity to be the only one that enjoys something in life.
HAAHAHAHA!! I find it funny actually. Don't care about prices falling or anything like that AT ALL. Its sitting safe in my garage and will never be in anyone's possession but mine(unless it gets impounded for speeding) I fell in love with the 350R right when I saw it. Nothing at all freaked me out or made me feel uneasy about the car, nothing, it was all WANT WANT WANT.

This GT500, I've already been turned off by the front side intakes, the black plastics and those hideous looking large snake emblems, and the thought of a 4100 lb curb weight. The DCT so far is all that lights me up about this car. 720 doesn't, and 4100 doesn't. Take away 300 lbs add 50HP and things get more interesting to me.

Reactions: MAV

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Might be seeing a ceiling of 700 to 800 hp with factory supercharged cars and still being able to meet all the government regulations. Seems I read the ZR1 and Demon both threw everything they had into their engines to make current hp and they are 6.2 L.
With pushrods there may be a ceiling.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I love the "floating headlights" and how they're surrounded by the intakes/coolers - clearly there's a lot of Ford GT design language at play here (basing this on what I could pick out from the video and Ace's slick rendering).

The Demon video had the same sort of "low budget" look and feel - it's probably just the acceptable fidelity level in the car industry, specifically in the context of a preview video.

Agreed. :cheers:
I'm totally down with the floating look as well. I just wish the housing and styling of the signature lighting was different. Not the same thing found on v6 cars from 2015. that's my only complaint. The rest is pretty dang sweet.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
The view of the lights in this picture says that the front fenders have been widened and that means bigger meats on the front as well as the back which should make track guys happy.
I don't think so. The GT350 was already widened from the base S550. There is also a prominent "shelf" surrounding the headlights on the current Shelbys. It looks to me like the GT500 just scooped out that area and integrated the vent.
Sponsored