Sponsored

Road Warrior Plus Review

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I thought I would give this stuff a try; for the price it was too good an idea to pass up just as an experiment. Next week I'll be taking a 2,200+ mile roundtrip to Texas and back to visit family and spend the weekend running at a HPDE event at Texas World Speedway. That should provide for a pretty comprehensive test.

I will attach a few photos of the install; I decided to use painter's tape to mask off the edges for a cleaner look. It is still white in places and needs to finish drying, but dry it fades clear to car color and basically looks like a bad orange-peel paint job. I put it on the headlights too.

I just rolled the stuff on so it is thicker in some spots and won't ever win a show, but that isn't the purpose.

I'll keep it on for the entire trip, remove it, and then report back when done in a week or two.
tape.jpg
Fender.jpg
mirror.jpg
rear fender.jpg
Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I've been wanting to try this product, thanks for the review.

Any idea how easy it is to remove? Did you do more than 1 coat?

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I did two coats per the suggestions in the instructions. It is so easy to apply there's no reason not to do two coats instead of one. It is non-permanent so there's no harm on getting the extra protection of another coat... one coat did seem a little thin.

One quart is more than enough for what I did. I applied to the entire front including the lights, back to about a foot and a half up the hood, and then to the middle of the front wheel wells (the back half of the wheel wells don't face the front). The mirrors, the A frame pillars that face forward on each side of the windshield, and the rocker panels down low where the tires might throw stuff on the car. Finally, the front half of the rear fenders that bulge out. I used about a half quart and probably have enough left over for another application next time.

I'll let you know how easy it is to take off when I return :)

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I got back last Monday night, and have a mostly positive but mixed review.

It worked great all the way on my 1,000+ mile highway trip, doing exactly what it promises to do. I could tell it protected the front from some minor rock chips thrown up by trucks ahead of me and did a splendid job of shielding from everything else too. It really did work very, very well.

Dry.

Since it is removed by soaking in water I wondered how it might handle rain. I got a chance to find out, and that is indeed a chink in its armor. I did drive through rain locally before going on the long trip and it stayed on, well enough that I wondered if I could easily remove it after I was finished with it. But that was a normal rainstorm, nothing real heavy, and driven locally not at highway speeds.

I got a hint of what might happen during the trip to Texas when I got ready to leave a motel early in the morning and continue on. It was one of those heavy dew-soaked mornings and I noticed I could pick at a corner and easily start to peel it off. I pressed it back on and after only a few miles of highway it bonded back on to the point I could not peel it off again.

The trip from my family's home to Texas World Speedway for the HPDE event is over a three hour drive, and two hours of that drive was through a real gully-washer of a heavy Texas rainstorm. By the end of the trip the coating had started to come apart and peel off the mirrors, top of the front fender and hood, and front splitter. It still stayed on the vertical section of the bumper below the pony, and on the other sections on the side of the car - the rocker panels and fenders. So heavy rain is an Achilles heel for the product, but light and even regular rain at less than highway speeds is not.

It was fairly easy to remove after a trip to the car wash during another rain to get it soaked really good. The removed product looks and behaves sort of like dirty shipping/packing wrap, and I included a photo of it wadded up after removal. 2,300 miles on the road and two days on the track and - except for what peeled off in the heavy rainstorm - it did well.

I've included a few photos. The photos on the track show the front at an angle where you can almost see the product still on the vertical part of the front bumper, and the side view shows how well it blends in (it is still on the front of the rear fender and on the rocker panel).

Is it worth it? I think it is a great value and will use the other half of the quart I have left for my next long road trip. I do recommend it and will buy it again, but be aware that if you live in an area that experiences a lot of heavy rainstorms - Florida comes to mind - I don't know how useful it would be there. Aside from that, this is a great alternative to expensive clear wraps.
20170329_110935_1491139113418_resized.jpg
20170330_125511_1491139081913_resized.jpg
20170330_125521_1491139079461_resized.jpg
20170330_130636_1491139071051_resized.jpg
_DSC0041.jpg
_DSC4053.jpg

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Thank You for the time to write your review. I will have my mirror caps and bumpers done with xpel clear bra. My thought for this product would be for the rockers, hood, a-pillars, and fenders during track time. Rain will most likely never be an issue for me. Your review makes me think this is a great temporary product that will fit my needs.

Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OP, thanks for the great review! I'll probably pick up this product for my short road trips this summer (~3 to 4 hours).

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
OP, thanks for the great review! I'll probably pick up this product for my short road trips this summer (~3 to 4 hours).
Ill let you know my results as well Joe. Sorry I have been out of touch lately but Ford Performance will do that to you.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Your neighbors had to be wondering WTF when you were taking a paint roller to your Mustang.

:lol:
Sponsored