Sponsored

Oil separator

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
How do you empty the Ford one? Looks like screws into plastic I'm guessing? Over time I'd be concerned that would be a PITA vs unscrewing a steel canister type, plus the risk of stripping threads from numerous emptying cycles?
Sponsored

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ok, per my earlier post here is my update since adding the JLT. I thought it had been close to 1k miles but actually only about 500. I just took a look and this was what I had. Like I said I drove it really hard last weekend. Lots of 6k+ pulls and general hard driving on country roads. Glad I added the catch can.
Your oil cap is on upside down.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
How do you empty the Ford one? Looks like screws into plastic I'm guessing? Over time I'd be concerned that would be a PITA vs unscrewing a steel canister type, plus the risk of stripping threads from numerous emptying cycles?
I had one on my GT350. I emptied mine by unscrewing the 3 screws on top which screw into metal inserts in the plastic so no worries on stripping them out. I then used a syringe with a rubber tube to draw the fluid out.

If you want to "dump" it out you would have to remove the entire can from the hoses to dump it. The hoses attach to the bottom of the unit so no way to remove it with out removing the hoses.

You have to remove the top for both methods so I saved a step by using the syringe.

This is how much I pulled out after 500 miles or so of very aggressive driving.
IMG_8762.jpg
IMG_9398.jpg

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I had one on my GT350. I emptied mine by unscrewing the 3 screws on top which screw into metal inserts in the plastic so no worries on stripping them out. I then used a syringe with a rubber tube to draw the fluid out.

If you want to "dump" it out you would have to remove the entire can from the hoses to dump it. The hoses attach to the bottom of the unit so no way to remove it with out removing the hoses.

You have to remove the top for both methods so I saved a step by using the syringe.

This is how much I pulled out after 500 miles or so of very aggressive driving.

Houston, hope you’re enjoying your new ride :)

If you don’t mind me asking..... where did you get this syringe? I’m looking for an easier method to empty out the oil.....

OP
OP
howlins550

howlins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT PP1, 401A, 10R80, Magneride, Active exhaust, Oxford White
Geez that seems like a pain, anyone who is looking into a catch can, check out bob's. Personally i think it has the best design, and it has a valve at the bottom to quickly. Only thing i would change, and ive been looking to modify it, would be putting a hose on the bottom to drain when doing an oil change.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si

If you don’t mind me asking..... where did you get this syringe? I’m looking for an easier method to empty out the oil.....
I got one at a local auto parts store for $5. Dude it's so easy. Literally stick the syringe in once and suck out the oil. No mess at all.

I like it bc it looks stock.

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I put the Ford Performance one on last year. After running the car hard at a local road-course track for 20 laps, I found a small amount of oil in the catch-can. Not sure if under normal driving conditions this is a necessary part (otherwise I assume Ford Engineers would have added from the factory) but it had some functionality under harder driving for me.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
You can unscrew the cover like mentioned above or pull the hose and use a syringe to suck out the oil, based on other maintenance jobs performed on this vehicle this isn’t a huge undertaking. I’m sure the amount you catch will vary on any vehicle.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Loving it actually and thanks. The one in the pic is from a mountain bike hydrolic disc brake bleed kit, but you can find them on Amazon here that will work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/EXELint-Disp...e=UTF8&qid=1521495019&sr=1-4&keywords=syringe

I got one at a local auto parts store for $5. Dude it's so easy. Literally stick the syringe in once and suck out the oil. No mess at all.

I like it bc it looks stock.
Or like Monopoly said, go to Vatozone and get some!!!!

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Not sure if under normal driving conditions this is a necessary part (otherwise I assume Ford Engineers would have added from the factory) but it had some functionality under harder driving for me.
They don't put them on at the factory because there is no way to ensure they get serviced. The potential damage if the engine sucks in a slug of oil because the can was never emptied far out ways the benefits of having one.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The FP one has a fine metal mesh screen filter in it as well. Not sure if the others have that. It is very serviceable easily cleaned.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The nice part about the Ford unit is the capacity is so large, you only need to dump the oil once every oil change or so. I also unscrew the top and use suction to get the oil out.

I wouldnt consider an oil separator neccessary on a street only car, but its a good idea for track cars.

On a N/A car designed for the crank to be vented with a vacuum system, breathers will actually loose you a few hp.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
The OP of this thread either has/or will be getting a 2018. The Ford Performance Oil Separator WILL NOT bolt up to passenger valve cover on the GEN3 motors. The bosses on the 11-17 valve covers are gone for '18.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OP of this thread either has/or will be getting a 2018. The Ford Performance Oil Separator WILL NOT bolt up to passenger valve cover on the GEN3 motors. The bosses on the 11-17 valve covers are gone for '18.
I was wondering why I have not seen a FP for the 18s. I now have an 18 and have been looking for a FP with zero luck.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I dont care what other people say. I bought a JLT can on sale for around $100 I think (it was a while back). It catches quite a bit of oil, which is not supposed to be in your intake. For that small investment, its kind of one of those why-not things to throw on the car in about 30 seconds. It doesn't hurt, and can certainly only help.
Sponsored