Sponsored

2018 6 speed manual

Agent K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370Z
New here.

I test drove a 2018 6-speed manual / base GT today. The radio was off during the test drive. Near the end of the test drive, I revved it up around 5k to 6k before shifting. There is a noticeable mechanical buzz coming from the transmission when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th The salesman didn't hear it the first time. So, I slowed the car down and downshifted into 2nd, then revved it up around 5k to 6k before shifting...he heard the same noise.

Could it be the sychros? Has any one else with a 2018 6-speed manual heard this noise? Any ideas what's causing this noise. Of course, the salesmen didn't have an answer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
my car doesn't do that. why are you revving it up high prior to shifting anyways? do you mean you're running it through the gear to that rpm and then shifting, or are you just free revving and then shifting?

OP, if you have any questions about the 6mt, let me know, I'll tell you what I think about it. I wrote a review of my car on this forum and gave thoughts and comparisons to a 2012 GT I had back then. happy to elaborate or share any further feelings about it since I've had the car for about a month now. more seat time.

Agent K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370Z
I normally shift at a lower rpm. But from time-to-time, I'll shift near red line in the Z...it red lines at 7500 or 7800 rpm...don't remember exactly. Again, it's only on rare occasions that I do shift near red line...just to put it through its paces. But there's no buzzing noise from the transmission when I do.

I also test drove a '17 6- speed Challenger Hellcat (red key) and didn't hear a buzzing noise from the transmission near red line. Although, the supercharger sounds was in my ear and I was laser focused on the road...that things a beast. IIRC, it red lines around 6500 rpm.

Just wanted to get some feedback from Mustang members that have had their '18s for awhile before I make a decision. Obviously, I'm leaning towards the Mustang.

entaiiie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' GT
from the way I read it, I thought you were just free revving it (clutch in) and then shifting. I was like why in the world would you be doing that ...

but no, my 6mt car does not buzz like that shifting at redline or anywhere near redline.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if the 18 manual cars wheel hop as bad as the 15-17? I'm curious if they changed some of the suspension components a tad to take away some of the hop.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
New here.

I test drove a 2018 6-speed manual / base GT today. The radio was off during the test drive. Near the end of the test drive, I revved it up around 5 to 6k before shifting. There is a noticeable mechanical buzz coming from the transmission when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th The salesman didn't hear it the first time. So, I slowed the car down and downshifted into 2nd, then revved it up around 5 to 6k before shifting...he heard the same noise.

Could it be the sychros? Has any one else with a 2018 6-speed manual heard this noise? Any ideas what's causing this noise. Of course, the salesmen didn't have an answer.

My 16' does this and its very very noticeable. Sounds like absolute shit. Even the pedals vibrate. I was hoping the new clutch, dual mass fly and synchros in the 18s would fix this. Guess not. I would never buy another manual. Going to test drive the A10.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
New here.

I test drove a 2018 6-speed manual / base GT today. The radio was off during the test drive. Near the end of the test drive, I revved it up around 5 to 6k before shifting. There is a noticeable mechanical buzz coming from the transmission when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th The salesman didn't hear it the first time. So, I slowed the car down and downshifted into 2nd, then revved it up around 5 to 6k before shifting...he heard the same noise.

I am having that issue with my 18 as well. I really notice it in first gear when accelerating hard off the line... If I am just driving normal its fine and it doesnt make that "mechanical buzzing" noise. But I tried a 0-60 run earlier and had it in 1st gear, when I accelerated I heard that buzzing sound at the clutch engagement point...I didnt hear it when shifting to 2nd but I may not have been paying attention.

Agent K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 370Z
My 16' does this and its very very noticeable. Sounds like absolute shit. Even the pedals vibrate. I was hoping the new clutch, dual mass fly and synchros in the 18s would fix this. Guess not. I would never buy another manual. Going to test drive the A10.
My plan is to get the PPL2 so the only option is the 6-speed manual.

I am having that issue with my 18 as well. I really notice it in first gear when accelerating hard off the line... If I am just driving normal its fine and it doesnt make that "mechanical buzzing" noise. But I tried a 0-60 run earlier and had it in 1st gear, when I accelerated I heard that buzzing sound at the clutch engagement point...I didnt hear it when shifting to 2nd but I may not have been paying attention.
Thanks for the feedback Storm. Did you ask dealership or Ford why? I didnt hear the noise when shifting at lower rpm range but it is noticeable when shifting at higher rpm. Anyone else with '18 hearing this noise?

Well, at a minimum, it's somewhat embarrassing to have a brand new car buzzing like that. Although my wife wouldn't notice it, some friends of mines might. Anyway, I'll have to test drive another one at another dealership; maybe I'll get an answer as to why it's making the buzzing noise.

I'm still leaning towards the Mustang. If I do get one, I could always turn up the radio and put the active exhaust in track mode to cancel out the buzzing noise :D

BTW, off the top of my head, Leia would be a good name for your new car :)

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
New here.

I don't know about a buzz, but mine had some gear whine under load at low speeds when I first picked it up. I haven't noticed it since the first day or so, so I either got used to it or it went away. I will pay attention next time I drive it and see if it is still there.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
My plan is to get the PPL2 so the only option is the 6-speed manual.

Thanks for the feedback Storm. Did you ask dealership or Ford why? I didnt hear the noise when shifting at lower rpm range but it is noticeable when shifting at higher rpm. Anyone else with '18 hearing this noise?

Well, at a minimum, it's somewhat embarrassing to have a brand new car buzzing like that. Although my wife wouldn't notice it, some friends of mines might. Anyway, I'll have to test drive another one at another dealership; maybe I'll get an answer as to why it's making the buzzing noise.

I'm still leaning towards the Mustang. If I do get one, I could always turn up the radio and put the active exhaust in track mode to cancel out the buzzing noise :D

BTW, off the top of my head, Leia would be a good name for your new car :)
I actually haven't talked to the dealer/Ford yet about this. If by after X-mas i'm still noticing it I'm going to ask them.
Its weird because I don't think its due to driver error, ive had 3 MT cars before this including a 2015 V6 Mustang and none of those cars made this buzzing noise.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You hate a gear?

Is there a problem with it?
It's useless and too big of a gap. Often times I have to rev higher in 5th gear because if I go grab 6th, it lugs the engine and bog down. I am forced to drive in 5th at 55mph revving at about 2500rpm.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Was the buzz before or after you started to depress the clutch?

I haven't done it for a couple of years since I improved my "pedal timing" but my 15 would "buzz" sometimes. I don't recall if the problem was starting to shift before fully depressing the clutch or starting to shift before starting to back off the gas. Thinking about it I think it was starting to shift a little too soon compared with depressing the clutch fully too slowly.

Regarding gear noise in low gears at low speed every manual trans I've owned (4 Mustangs and several other cars) has done that including the MT-82 in my 15 GT. I consider it normal.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
My 16 V6 had a noticeable gear whine, most prominent around 3rd, 4th and 5th. It was more noticeable after the Steeda street shifter and bracket (obviously).

This 17 GT I got also has gear whine. Additionally, Its sometimes clunky when shifting into 3rd and 5th, like its hitting the gear a little. I never drove my V6 in winter to know how it its MT82 felt like this in the cold. If this issue with what feels like possible synchro(s) being bad keeps up in the spring, I will report the issue to a dealer. I've read good things about Synchro Shift 2 fluid clearing up a lot of issues in these MT82s though.

Overall, a very loud, clunky/notchy transmission in both the V6 and GT. Can anyone with a 2018 speak to gear change feel when cold and warm?

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
This is my issue with the buzzing

-Complete stop
-Want to take off aggressively just to test the power
-Clutch in, 1st gear
-Green light
-Press gas (not floor it), and start depressing clutch
-At the gas/clutch engagement point I’ll hear a metallic buzzing but it will go away soon as Im off the clutch

Again this only happens when being aggressive at takeoff. If im just driving regular I won’t have any issues.

BigBoss5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP Premium
Are any of you previous infiniti g37/nissan 370z owners? The forums completely trash the CD009 for being clunky and crappy the same way i hear the MT-82 getting bashed. I drove a g37 for a couple years and was completely fine with that 6 speed even under high load. I have yet to receive my 2018 GT but was wondering if anyone can chime in comparing those two?
Sponsored